Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I placed an order for a Sun Yellow A45s Edition 1 but have been given the option to take the Mountain Grey Magno instead at no additional cost.

Would like to seek opinion on the care for the Magno paint which has been somewhat conflicting on the Internet with some saying it's hard to take care while others saying its a durable and easy to maintain color. Any owners with the Magno paint can share your personal opinion on the color after owning it for a while now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
This will be long...

I was one of those that thought it would be a pain but after having washed it twice, I can tell you it's actually easier than gloss colors. What you need is a set of matte paint products, microfiber washing mitt and microfiber drying towel. Aside from your main shampoo I highly recommend you also get what I call an emergency cleaner, to be used between washes, for example to get rid of bird poop or tree sap or just light dirt and fingerprints. You can do without the rest but if you're well equipped it'll make your life easier.

Here's my exterior washing/cleaning gear:

Nanolex Matte Reactivating Shampoo - my main shampoo. Note you need a shampoo specifically for matte colors, as they are wax and polish free. Using regular shampoo will add shine to your color, which will destroy it and I'm not sure if the damage is permanent, maybe someone else can chime in on that, but anyways just use matte paint shampoo.

Nanolex Matte Final Finish - my emergency cleaner

Nanolex Glass Cleaner - windows and windshield cleaner

Urban Glass Sealant - haven't used it yet as I'm being a little lazy, but you can read through the description. To be honest I find all windows and windshield are already a little hydrophobic, maybe because the car is still new, but I've watched videos of the sealant and I don't think you'll ever have to put your wipers on, like ever.

Nanolex Microfiber Wash - cleans the washing mitt, washing brush and towel. Depending on how dirty your car is, you may not have to use it after every wash. Plain water may be enough for a few times. After two washes both my mitt and towel are looking good, but I wash the car before it gets too dirty, which I highly recommend you do too. The product can even be used in the washing machine, but personally, I'm gonna stick to hand wash. Don't want any detergent residue mix with it.

Microfiber Madness Ultra-thick Wash Mitt - soft as silk, paint protective, dirt easy to get rid of using two bucket method. Here's a video of it.

Microfiber Madness Incredibrush Flat - exact same material as the wash mitt. I use it to clean both wheels and brake calipers, although for the outside I prefer to still use the wash mitt as it's easier to handle. But deep inside the wheel and in between spokes is where the brush shines.

Nanolex Microfiber Drying Towel - towel is huge and holds massive amounts of water. Actually it holds so much water it can dry your whole car without having to wring it out. In fact you probably won't be able to wring it out as no water will come out. Near the end of the drying process, the towel will get considerably heavy though.

Chemical Guys TORQ Foam Blaster 6 - this may be one of the least important items on my list, but it makes the whole process a little easier. Don't bother if you already have a pressure washer, but if you don't, it's a h3ll of a product. Although it's no match to a pressure washer, the amount of foam it produces is pretty incredible. That said, I keep it at setting 5 which is the highest. I've found anything less than that, foam is a little poor. You will go through a whole bottle pretty quick though. I make it just in time it runs out. There is a mark that shows how much shampoo you'll put in, but if you get the shampoo on my list, it's highly concentrated so you should be fine with half of what the bottle says. Best follow Nanolex instructions (think it says something like 30ml). I also put a little into my clean bucket, just so the mitt gets a little shampoo on it before applied on the car, for extra lubrication. Lubrication is your friend.

Tips:

As mentioned earlier, matte color is actually easier to clean for a striking result, for one important reason, that any imperfections aren't as visible as in gloss. The only visible imperfection is water spots, that can easily be dealt with if you wash and rinse your car every once in a while. Don't wash the whole car before you start rinsing. Wash and rinse one panel at a time, like start from the hood, wash and rinse, next do the windshield, wash and rinse, then the top, then one side, then the other, and finally the rear. Leave the lower parts for last, including the wheels. Oh and choose a spot away from direct sunlight. Don't forget to keep the car wet, until you're ready to dry it off. You don't want any parts drying out while you're still washing it, that can leave water spots. Minor imperfections can be dealt with the final finish product, like if you've already dried it off when you notice the imperfection, but sometimes water spots require an extra wash, so just follow the one panel at a time method and you'll be good. Easy peasy.

Matte only real downside is that if you scratch it, it's more expensive to fix. Which is why you should NEVER apply pressure with the mitt, or towel. That's why matte shampoos are in fact stronger, to soften up all that dirt for you so that you won't have to apply pressure. Also, no circular moves with the mitt. You need to move horizontally or vertically, and always gently. Think about massaging your wife. You don't want to hurt her.

Two bucket method. As mentioned earlier, its a method in which you use a clean and a dirty bucket. Dirty bucket best have dirt trap inside. Rinse the car, then start with the foam blaster or pressure washer and spray a panel (not the entire car), go to your clean bucket which has a little shampoo in it as well, dip mitt in, do said panel. Rinse it out. Dip mitt into dirty bucket, press it against the dirt trap and move it around a bit. Wring it out a bit outside the bucket, then dip it into your clean bucket which has the shampoo and leave it there for a while until you use your foam blaster or pressure washer on another panel. Pick up the mitt and repeat process. After a couple panels you may notice that the ones you did first have started drying out, just go there and rinse it back, keep the entire car wet at all times, until you're ready to dry it off. The foam blaster on my list has a clip that makes it very easy to go from foam blasting to plain water, and that's very convenient as I move from panel to panel.

And if I'm not forgetting anything that's about it. As for your dilemma, aside from personal taste, matte color is nothing to worry about. If you ask me, I couldn't have made a better choice. (y)

·
Super Moderator
1,581 Posts
Wow what a fantastic write up.
i love my Matte grey colour. Fully agree with most of the above. I use chemical guys for all my products. I purchased a pressure washer and a snow foam cannon. I find the pressure washer is awesome for shifting 100% of anything that might cause scratching. Perfect for bringing the wheels and callipers back to new look without even touching them with a brush. I purchased smaller size containers first just to test. Once happy i got the stuff in gallons. A lot cheaper.
i too carry a smaller spray bottle in car for stuff like bird ****. I also purchased their “woolly Mamath” drying towel thats said to hold a gallon of water. People comment on the colour of the car first before the car itself.
E8D1DAFE-A472-4B73-B09F-1FB639370E6D.jpeg
0E791591-5B3F-405A-8A8A-747A75478B32.jpeg
F53CDF1D-4B78-4F96-A806-92BB5428CEEB.jpeg

·
Registered
381 Posts
have you guys tried a di vessel? had one a few years now and it makes drying way easier, we just final rinse and then a makita air blower to blow the excess off, the rest dries without spotting

·
Super Moderator
1,581 Posts
have you guys tried a di vessel? had one a few years now and it makes drying way easier, we just final rinse and then a makita air blower to blow the excess off, the rest dries without spotting
whats a di vessel?
I use an air line on the wheels to blow away excess water. The good thing about Matte is you dont get swirling. These new drying towels do a fantastic job.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh that's very nice Steve you're obviously even better prepared than I am. (y)

Yeah I carry two bottles with me in the trunk, the final finish product on the right pocket and the glass cleaner in the left. Looks pretty cool as they face each another lol. Plus smaller towels for each, although usually I use soft kitchen paper unless the area I want to cover is large.

Never heard of di vessel. Yeah Matte is a lot more forgiving when it comes to detailing. Quite honestly I don't see how anyone can scratch their paint if they're being cautious, with thorough rinsing and gentle washing and drying. You have no idea how worried I was when I found out you can't treat matte the same way as gloss. Reason why I educated myself and purchased my gear like three weeks before picking up the car.

Reactions: steve_3939

·
Super Moderator
1,581 Posts
similar to what window cleaners use, strips all the minerals out of the water which is whats left when the water dries
and this to dry
i like the look of that. Especially for the pano roof and windows. Water marks aren’t such an issue on matte paint as they are on gloss.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh right, I remember Chemical Guys showing that on one of their videos, along with a set of different drying towels.

It's at 10:05.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
My preference would be the grey but only because I prefer low key sealth looks. I think the yellow also looks fine and is probably more flamboyant and suited better to your tropical surroundings. You should also perhaps consider getting the MB coating on your paint work which cannot be used if it is a matt colour.

I agree that dark colours can show up water marks as my black does after taking it to the car wash yesterday prior to finding a nail in one of the tyres. But the main point is I would guess where you are you probably get a bunch of guys to wash your car everyday so it won't be an issue in terms of water marks etc as they will get sacked if they didn't watch out for that sort of thing. In fact I cannot remember seeing a dirty car when we were on holiday in Malaysia last year.

Reactions: vodka

·
Super Moderator
1,581 Posts
Firstly you can’t take Matte cars to your local car wash. Odds on they won’t have the proper stuff to wash it with. Lets be honest probably isn’t a bad thing. Secondly you can get sealants for Matte cars. I did mine twice after first wash and will last uo to a year. Water just runs off it like a wax finish.
2F021BDC-A09C-4A62-8DFE-08C04CC428FE.jpeg

·
Registered
352 Posts
I liked the matte color be tempted to get a new A45s in matte color next year
it’s a rich looking color and easy to keep clean for sure I bought the swissvax matte kit color
great job two stage wash is a must

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's a rich looking color indeed, makes the car look even classier and more expensive than it already is. As Steve said, people comment on the color first before the car itself. I believe it gets people into thinking that there is something very special about this car, seductively inviting them to discover.

Reactions: Irish boy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for sharing. I have yet to see Mountain Grey Magno in the flesh as the cars are still clearing customs at the port. I think it looks fantastic especially under strong sunlight and spotlight. Really brings out the lines of the car and makes the car more beefy looking. Sun Yellow is beautiful from a far especially with the black aero bits, pana roof and edition 1 stripes. But on closeup, I suspect the Magno paint is more special.

The magno care routine is ok for me, but we don't have a good range of matte wash and care products in this part of the world. I will ask for a viewing from my dealer of the cars once it clears customs. Very hard decision to make just by looking at picture as they are both nice colors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Out of interest how does magno fair if the car is kept outside on a drive rather than in a garage? Or best kept garaged?

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
Can I be indiscreet and ask how much in GBP, is an A45s in Malaysia?

Off the top of my head I have a figure around £80k......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have to say when i got my magno matte car in December I panicked as had no idea how to clean it. But after buying a snow foam gun and a few microfibre clothes plus the matte detailer spray it really isnt that hard to sort now. And i love the colour so its all worth it !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can I be indiscreet and ask how much in GBP, is an A45s in Malaysia?

Off the top of my head I have a figure around £80k......
Yes indicative price we are getting is ~ GBP86k for the Edition 1 here. Our Singapore neighbor has the highest car prices in this region. The previous generation W176 A45 was going for GBP166k in Singapore. The W177 A45 will be even higher than that.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts