Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm from Australia and unfortunately I've just found out it looks like my A200CDI Sports fully optioned car is going to be delayed. I've just been to the dealer and was tossing a few things around seems that shortages on some parts as so many people are ordering sports versions. Anyway after speaking with the dealer I test drove an A250 fully optioned, he has offered me that for AUD$4k more. I know I will still have to wait on this but I'm just wondering whether I should just go for it and spend that extra $4k.

I was originally buying for economy on paper the A200CDI uses 4.6l/100km and the A250 use 6.6l/100km.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

If this doesn't make sense I will hopefully make it more understandable after a little sleep, I've been working night shifts lately.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is that a good offer? The Australian page doesn't give any prices. In Finland that would be a no-brainer as the price difference between A200 CDI AMG Sport and A250 AMG Sport (Engineered in the UK) is like 10000 euros (AUD$13000).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cost ofA200CDIasI ordered is approximately AUD$58,488, while same level in A250 is about $65,168 (using carsales.com.au), but dealer is going to do it for about $61,500. I guess my heart wants to go with the A250, that's why I'm asking. My mind is saying that the A200CDI will use 2l less of fuel per 100km which would amount to around $3+. but over say 15,000km that extra fuel really adds up.

But you can't option an alarm in the A200, you also get up to 55kw more power, sports suspension, diamond front grill.

To me it's a difficult decision either way as i don't want to have any regrets. especially over such a small amount like $4k.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd go for the A250 in a heart beat for those prices. 0-100 km/h in 6.6 s versus 9.2 s is enough said. Of course, if you drive 20k+ km per year and don't have tons of extra money, the diesel might still be worth considering

Edited by: Legge

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think you have to make the call depending on 3 thingsA) How much in love with the car you are - this is most important I think ;)
B) How many miles you will do
C) How much you can stretch your budget

And just don't make a rash decision because you just want to get the car.

if you don't go for A45 - your sports will be worth the wait!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was in a similar position - do a lot of driving, and was initially offered the diesel. Then missed out, was offered the a250. Took delivery 2 weeks ago, am glad I went w the a250- for such a minimal price difference, it's a **** of a lot more special (as far as AUD prices and cars on our roads go).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to the dealer today and changed my order to the A250 after speaking about times it will take. As I was about to leave he told me to take the A250 for an extended drive to pick up my kids from school. I was absolutely stoked, spent quite a bit of time just playing around with the COMAND system rather than driving, got the bluetooth linked and music all working. Still will take a bit of time figuring how to choose different playlists etc. But anyway was able to get it up and working.

My kids absolutely loved the car, they thought Christmas must have come early but then we went back to the dealer to swap back. Anyway had a great time with it and am absolutely looking forward for delivery. Still hoping I might get something late August early September but with delays on wheels 781, 646, 774 I hope that they get some stock in time for my build slot

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Fab choice, IMO! As everyone knows, I love my Engineered! Still trying to discover everything the Comand can do! Tried the sat-nav today, really clever! Went to a completely new place and found it very easily!
Edited by: Lynne

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Lynne,

I'm definitely looking forward to taking delivery. I was really enjoying spending time with the COMAND system. One thing i was hoping was to use the Park Assist but when I pulled up near a car park it didn't offer to assist me. I'm guessing you must need to press something before you try to park. Anyway will wait for delivery and record it on my camcorder or iPhone so i don't forget anything.

In Australia we only have the Engineered by AMD, mine is also cirrus White with all the option packs

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
To use the Park Assist it has to be activated. If the strip on the dash shows two little lights PA is working. When you pass a suitable gap a P with an arrow appears! BTW I haven't used it yet! Do your options include the panoramic roof? I think it's a must!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Lynn,Our A250's already come with BiXennon and panaramic roof as standard. Our cars are actually quite high specced standard. Below is the equipment list.
A-Class
A 180 BlueEFFICIENCY Standard Equipment
Interior
""¢ </span>Air conditioning with climate control and outside temperature display
""¢ </span>Ambient lighting in trim, seat head restraints, footwells, door handles and tailgate
""¢ </span>AUDIO 20 with 14.7cm colour display, 6-disc CD changer, MP3/WMA/ACC compatibility,
AM/FM tuner, Bluetooth connectivity with audio streaming and telephone keypad
""¢ </span>Central locking with interior switch and crash sensor
""¢ </span>Designer key with chrome highlights
""¢ </span>Door armrests with silver chrome trim and contrasting topstitching
""¢ </span>Door centre panels in Messancy fabric
""¢ </span>Directional indicators with one-touch convenience function
""¢ </span>Electrically operated park brake
""¢ </span>Folding rear seat backrests (40:60 split)
""¢ </span>Front armrest with fore-and-aft adjustment and contrasting topstitching
""¢ </span>Illuminated door sill panels with ""Mercedes-Benz""�lettering
""¢ </span>Loudspeakers (6)
""¢ </span>Matrix trim
""¢ </span>Media interface featuring iPod/iPhone integration, 3.5mm AUX-IN and USB interface in
centre console (cables included)
""¢ </span>Multi-function holder including twin cup holder in front of centre armrest
""¢ </span>Power windows (four) with one-touch control
""¢ </span>Reading lights (front and rear)
""¢ </span>Rear armrest with twin cup holders and through loading
""¢ </span>Reversing camera with dynamic guidelines
""¢ </span>Roof liner in black
""¢ </span>Sports seats in Messancy fabric/ARTICO man-made leather with contrasting topstitching
""¢ </span>Steering wheel in 3-spoke design with 12 function buttons
""¢ </span>Steering wheel shift paddles
""¢ </span>Stowage compartment in centre console and under front seats
""¢ </span>Sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors
""¢ </span>Trip computer in multifunction display
""¢ </span>Windscreen wipers with rain sensor and 1-touch wipe function
Exterior
""¢ </span>17-inch 5 twin-spoke alloy wheels (R11)
""¢ </span>7G-DCT 7-speed automatic transmission
""¢ </span>Active Parking Assist
""¢ </span>Beltline trim strip in chrome
""¢ </span>Comfort tuned suspension
""¢ </span>Cruise control with SPEEDTRONIC variable speed limiter
""¢ </span>ECO start/stop function
""¢ </span>Exterior mirrors electrically adjustable and heated with indicator repeaters
""¢ </span>Fuel tank (50L)
""¢ </span>Halogen headlamps with integrated daytime running lights
""¢ </span>Headlamp Assist (automatic headlamps)
""¢ </span>Heated rear windscreen with timer control
""¢ </span>PARKTRONIC ultrasonic parking sensors (front and rear)
""¢ </span>Radio aerial integrated in roof spoiler
""¢ </span>Rear fog lamp
""¢ </span>Tinted glass all round
""¢ </span>Twin louvre radiator grille in body colour and chrome trim
Safety & Security
""¢ </span>Active bonnet
""¢ </span>ADAPTIVE BRAKE with HOLD function, brake drying function and Hill Start Assist (ABR)
""¢ </span>ASSYST maintenance interval indicator
""¢ </span>Airbags (9) - front, pelvis side and window bags for driver and front passenger, sidebags for
rear occupants and kneebag for driver
""¢ </span>Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
""¢ </span>ATTENTION ASSIST
""¢ </span>Automatic-locking doors with emergency opening
""¢ </span>Belt tensioners with belt force limiters and belt guides for front passengers
""¢ </span>Brake Assist System (BAS)
""¢ </span>Brake pad wear indicator
""¢ </span>Childproofing for doors (manual) and windows (electrical)
""¢ </span>COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST
""¢ </span>Crash responsive emergency lighting
""¢ </span>Disc brakes all round
""¢ </span>Electronic immobiliser
""¢ </span>Electronic Stability Program (ESP®) with acceleration skid control (ASR)
""¢ </span>First-aid kit and warning triangle in boot
""¢ </span>Locking verification (visual and acoustic)
""¢ </span>MOExtended run-flat safety tyres with pressure loss warning system
""¢ </span>PRE-SAFE® accident anticipatory system
A 200 & A 200 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Standard Equipment in addition to A 180 BlueEFFICIENCY
Interior
""¢ </span>4-way electropneumatic lumbar support
""¢ </span>Automatically dimming rear-view and exterior mirror
""¢ </span>Diamond-pattern trim
""¢ </span>Door centre panels in ARTICO man-made leather
""¢ </span>Instrument cluster with silver-coloured sports dial instruments and red needles
""¢ </span>Sports seats in Larochette fabric/ARTICO man-made leather with contrasting topstitching
""¢ </span>Steering wheel in nappa leather with perforated grip area
Exterior
""¢ </span>18-inch 5 twin-spoke alloy wheels in bi-colour black (R38)
""¢ </span>Electrically folding exterior mirrors
""¢ </span>Twin louvre radiator grille in silver colour and chrome trim
""¢ </span>Two-pipe exhaust system with oval tailpipes in chrome look
A 250 Sport Standard Equipment in addition to A 200 & A 200 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY
Interior
""¢ </span>Carbon-fibre look trim
""¢ </span>Dashboard air vents with red marker rings
""¢ </span>Door centre panels in DINAMICA microfibre
""¢ </span>Floor mats with red contrasting topstitching and "SPORT"lettering
""¢ </span>Red contrasting stitching on seats, steering wheel, centre armrest and door armrests
""¢ </span>Seat belts in designo red
""¢ </span>Sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs
""¢ </span>Sports seats in ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA microfibre
""¢ </span>Steering wheel in nappa leather with perforated grip area and flattened lower section
Exterior
""¢ </span>18-inch AMG 5 spoke alloy wheels (774)
""¢ </span>AMG bodystyling on front/rear aprons and side sill panels with red highlights
""¢ </span>Beltline trim strip in high-gloss black
""¢ </span>Bi-xenon fixed headlamps with red marker rings, integrated LED daytime running lights,
headlamp cleaning system and LED tail lights
""¢ </span>Brake callipers in red with ""Mercedes-Benz""�lettering
""¢ </span>Dark-tinted privacy glass from B-pillar to rear
""¢ </span>Exterior mirrors in black
""¢ </span>Lowered sports suspension engineered by AMG
""¢ </span>Panoramic electric sunroof
""¢ </span>Perforated front brake discs
""¢ </span>Single louvre diamond grille
""¢ </span>"SPORT" badge on side
""¢ </span>Sport configuration of the 7G-DCT automatic transmission
""¢ </span>Sportier engine and accelerator tuning
Safety & Security
""¢ </span>Anti-theft alarm system with interior monitoring and tow-away protection
""¢ </span>Modified ESP® configuration
""¢ </span>TIREFIT with electric pump and pressure loss war

I've converted some prices to AU$ and thought your cars are much cheaper than here, but we only have 3 option packs available on the car. COMAND (which includes Harmon Kardon, linguatronic, DAB+), Driver's Assist (Distronic, blind-spot, Lane Keep Assist), AMG Exclusive (Leather, electric front seats inc memory, Dual Zone Climate Control, Passenger mirror with reverse parking sensors, convenience opening)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi
I'm from Australia too. Have had the same situation as yourself. My dealer also gave me the A250 for the afternoon. It was fully optioned.
So have decided after a detailed test drive to pay the extra and receive the A250 in late August / early September. I'm currently driving a Mazda MX5 NC. The cars are totally different, however the A250 sport is in a class of its own. Also test drived the VW Gti and could not live with the Scotish picnic rug seats. So in all I'm pleased with the decision and happy to pay just a fraction more for fuel as I will be filling up with a big grin.
Laurie
Edited by: laurietv

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
That is a really good standard spec! The Comand system is great, but here the H.K. system is optional as is the Comand. The Intelligent Light System is optional. The roof is also extra, as is the rear arm rest etc. Reversing camera is also extra cost, in fact, it appeared to me that you were paying a much higher price than us in UK, but you have a much bigger spec than us to start with! So there's not much in it. Fabulous cars though!
Edited by: Lynne

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good move Laurie, I think I'll be happy with the decision. I to drove the mk6 golf and while I thought it was ok I didn't have the feeling I had with the mercedes benz. The 0-100 time seems to just go zip and you have to back off. But that's good I always love the thrill of getting to the speed limit quick anyway. Seems your dealer is telling you similar time to me I have a late June build slot so hopefully I will see it August

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Lynn I also thought you guys were getting off cheaply but if you priced it at our spec level it might not be so different. Anyway I've just gone the whole hog on this. I hope to keep it until it becomes too expensive to keep any longer, hopefully 10+ years. But you guys can get the Drive Kit Plus we can't get that at the moment although mercedes advertised it, we are still unsure if it will ever be available down under. But still love the car would just like to be able to use true full on hands free calls etc

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is a bummer the Apple iPhone kit is not available in Australia.
Mercedes Benz Australia has no information on why this is so. Or maybe they do and are not telling us.
My dealer's theory is that there is some sort of license dispute down under with Apple.
In any case I hope Mercedes can offer the option in the near future.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Joyas77 I use bluetooth with Comand and my calls are hands free! Cannot text but can receive texts and get Comand to read it out loud! I have the Samsung Galaxy 3. I also went over board with extras, but as my last car was 18 years old, this one should last as long! Lol! I haven't got the drive kit, but I don't need it! The car is fantastic. You will love it! The sat-nav is brilliant, used it yesterday! Best things for me are the roof, light and sight pack, heated seats, memory pack and the lux climate control!Edited by: Lynne

·
Registered
297 Posts
Joyjas and laurie! Early congratulations.!! As you said, the A250 is awhole different class of its own compared to the smaller versions (doesn't mean the others are bad, but definitely wouldn't be as exciting and "premium" as the A250). I think for me its an easy choice, for an extra 4k you get 55kw more and for a 155/165kw car a 6.6l/100km isn't too bad. You will definitely love the car, and so will your family! Enjoy every second of the waiting, as it will build u up to the moment where you actually get the car. Thats where love is in the air.... haha

All the best! Great decisions made by the both of yous!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's nice to know Lynn, can you just voice command the phone to call out? That's great I guess I'll really have to wait until I get it to learn what my new baby can do.

I also want to keep the car long term, 18 years is very good going. I believe I'm buying a quality car, but just don't know if things start to go wrong 10 years down the track how much I can really afford to fix. My brother said I should expect it should last 10-15 years if treated well. So will try to be meticulous on servicing and maintenance :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My old car was a little Corsa joyas77, so I expect the Merc to last at least the same amount of years. It was only the last year that I had things going wrong and knew it was time to get a new car! What a change! Yes, you can tell Comand to telephone someone! Also to play music etc. Don't know all of it myself yet! Fun learning though!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts