Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my A Class two weeks ago now and I was wondering what the 'post ordering' process is. I was expecting the dealer to have called back sometime in the last week or so to confirm the order has gone to the factory and tell me the expected delivery date. What have other peoples experience been in this area and what should I expect? This is my first new car so I don't really know what to expect!

·
Registered
377 Posts
once you have placed the order it is basically in a queue until it gets to production... in my experience you can continue to amend your order right up until it is 'closed' which means the spec is then finalised... changed my mind about the colour around 6 times :).. plus added lux climate

once the car is actually in production (2-3 wks before delivery) you should then get the chassis number provided & then this is allocated to the registration - when this happens you should be able to choose from the list of allocated registrations available to that dealership

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would have expected them to provide an initial estimated delivery date once order submitted, mine kept changing though..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only delivery estimate I received was when I was at the dealer on the day I ordered it. Quite vague still though, end of April, beginning of May.

·
Registered
377 Posts
that will be because they don't know yet... same for me.. I started with 18th Jan & ended up 20th Feb so waited to 1st March

·
Registered
377 Posts
what did you order? Sometime the model ordered makes a difference as some parts go into back order, depending on the volume ordered - 220 engines for example

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi,
If you haven't ordered new before, it does come as quite a surprise just how little contact and info there is about your huge new purchase.

As kevybabes said, at the moment all they have is a delivery estimate produced by their order system based on the factories current output. You can keep changing options at this stage. You won't hear much from your dealer - to be honest they can't tell you anything new. If you are anything like I was, you'll be ringing them to add and change options at least once a week!

4 to 6 weeks before delivery, the car should go 'confirmed' - this means it is given a build date by the factory and now you can not make any changes to the spec. The dealer should ring you when it goes 'confirmed' as they will now have a much clearer idea of delivery dates.

Once it is built, its just a luck of the draw as to how quick it gets from the factory to the port, how long it waits for a ship, how quick it comes through customs and then if there is a transporter booked an available to get it to your dealer!

Sometimes this last part happens quickly and I was very lucky with mine - the build date was 25th Feb, it was at the dealers on 7th March and I took delivery the next day - less than two weeks after it was built!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I ordered mine in January and as I work away I went into see the dealer as I had not heard a peep. It was only then the dealer said about a week before delivery I would go in and sign for it.

I like you thought there would be more forms and communication but there isnt.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is my first brand new car, and I like the lack of updates (I know that sounds weird). It means that when I do hear something, it will be of significance and something to get excited about.

I also appreciated how the deal went down. Informal chat to the dealer, test drive without a sales guy, straight forward and no hard sell. All very civilised and easy going.

When the missus bought a new Juke last year, the dealer was a right tool, coming out with all sorts of rubbish, trying to sell this and that, messing about with the delivery date etc.

With Merc, they've treated me with respect, listened to what I want and given me a reasonable delivery date.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I heard very little after I placed the order. The date and that was pretty much iit! I called a few weeks ago and it had gone from the 25th to the 22nd....it arrived today 23rd!And I slapped the "sold" sticker on it myself...what a feeling!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts