Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing well. A quick one, I am interested in getting the Panamericana grill on my A35. I have seen a few on Ebay and Ali Express but wondered if I ordered one would the Mercedes dealership perform the installation?

If so, anyone ever done this before and know how much they typically charge? I am based in the midlands near Coventry.

Or would it be best to purchase the grill directly from Mercedes and then get them to install it? As mentioned Ebay and Ali Express have them to purchase from £80-150 for camera version but I am also worried I might not get the correct grill or maybe one grill maybe more difficult to fit than another (seen some Honeycomb grills and other black standard ones)?

Also, if on a PCP, do you think it's OK to get the grill changed? I understand I may need to get this changed back to the standard grill if returning the car. Do you think a change to the grill is deemed OK?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hi @bboy, my thoughts are as follows:

Pretty sure MB won't get involved in fitting a non-MB part to your car.
The MB supplied grill for the A45S is a different size and won't fit your A35.

Not sure whereabouts in the country you are, but there is a company in Watford that supplies and fits a Panamericana style grill for the A35 and other non-A45S W177 models. I think they charge about £300 all in to supply and fit.

I'm not sure what the situation would be with your PCP agreement. My advice is, read the contract carefully and if there isn't any mention of 'car modification' then you're okay to go for it I would say. But as you say, keep the original grill and refit before trading your car in.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Also have a read of this, it might be interesting for you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Not sure whereabouts in the country you are, but there is a company in Watford that supplies and fits a Panamericana style grill for the A35 and other non-A45S W177 models. I think they charge about £300 all in to supply and fit.

I'm not sure what the situation would be with your PCP agreement. My advice is, read the contract carefully and if there isn't any mention of 'car modification' then you're okay to go for it I would say. But as you say, keep the original grill and refit before trading your car in.
Thank you for your response. I will have a read of my agreement too.

Are you allowed to mention the name of the company here? I think I found I know of it but not sure if it's the same one you are mentioning (One with 3 letters at the start perhaps)

Also have a read of this, it might be interesting for you

Some interesting thoughts you made on your post, I will need some time to think it over.

I am a bit like you, I am also not one to modify cars from stock spec, it maybe boredom of lockdown but all of a sudden I have the urge to change the grill ?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My opinion on the 3rd party panamericana style grills is just that, my own opinion. I think if you like the look and your PCP/insurer are okay with it, then I say do what makes you happy ?

I couldn’t remember the name of the company when I posted earlier, but I’ve just searched the forum and found it. The company is CKS Performance.

·
Registered
MB A250 4M W177
261 Posts
Funny that if i would got a45 or a45s I would like to do opposite throwing out this ugly panamerica grill, which make look car as shark ( in negative appearance ) or other fish, and fitting it from A35 :D But its my opinion only :)

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hi. Having done the grill change myself recently a few tips: 1) it is worth changing over as it looks so much better, 2) it takes 4-5 hours and is quite fiddly especially getting the star off so would go with the suggestion of getting it done in Watford if no where else does it closer, and 3) I would get them to do some noise deadening work while they have the wheels off if you also find excessive road noise to be a problem especially on coarse chip road surfaces.
POC

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hi @POC welcome to the forum. Could you post plenty of pics of your modded car please? They might well change my mind on the looks and also help @bboy too

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I think the new grill really outdates the look of the old A45 one which is fitted on the A35.
78FBBF0D-1A89-48FF-AA1E-06017C470D9C.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, and some really good photos here and some great advice. Really appreciate your guys opinions as honestly I'd be lost without it.

I will be investigating this further and possibly making my way down to Watford (or if I find somewhere closer in the midlands) once the lockdown is over ?

One other question, did you go with the camera version or the one without the camera? I was reading the other thread linked here and it mentioned the 360 camera isn't available in the UK so probably best to go with the one without the camera or does it make a difference?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with the camera option as i have the camera fitted. Was easy enough to pop out the piece for the camera but if you have no camera neater to get the no camera grille
The amg badge off the a35 grille needs a bit of work to get it to fit to the new grille so may be easier to get a specific one and keep the othernone on the existing grille
6540222E-A403-444A-9AFB-48ADBE564166.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone, I would like to buy the panamericana for my A35 and I have only one doubt; taking the Panamericana attracst a lot of views being however a different grid than the basic one and more sporty?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I feel like the A35 doesnt seem to pull the Pana grill off as good as the A45s does, On the A45s It succeeds in making it more aggresive thanks to the wider arches, bonnet with bumps and a slightly different front bumper.

On the A35 it just seems to make the front end more bulbous? Maybe its just me I dont know but, it's your car do as you please, personally I love the look of the gloss black twinblade.

I've heard on the facelift W177 Mercedes have given the A35 the Pana grill, although we don't know if they slightly changed the front bumper on the facelift, as they did for the W176.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just to add, with a PCP you are the registered keeper and in theory can do what you want (although make sure insured for any mods). Just remember that if returning at contract end then just return spec to standard, although you are likely better off selling privately and then settling your balloon figure as you could possibly have some equity especially with used car values rising due to new vehicle supply chain issues at the moment (y)

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
I feel like the A35 doesnt seem to pull the Pana grill off as good as the A45s does, On the A45s It succeeds in making it more aggresive thanks to the wider arches, bonnet with bumps and a slightly different front bumper.

On the A35 it just seems to make the front end more bulbous? Maybe its just me I dont know but, it's your car do as you please, personally I love the look of the gloss black twinblade.

I've heard on the facelift W177 Mercedes have given the A35 the Pana grill, although we don't know if they slightly changed the front bumper on the facelift, as they did for the W176.
View attachment 7883

It's the lack of bonnet power bulges on the A35 which make it look slightly less aggressive with the Panamericana Grille. Having said that there is a denim blue A35 around where I live which I had mistaken up until recently as an A45s. He has changed the grill, not the bonnet, and the rear exhaust and diffuser and it's only when nearly getting run over by him on a car park zebra crossing at Tescos that I noticed the A35 badge on the back. The driver was no spring chicken, no hair around 60 and a lack of spatial awareness, stopping on a zebra crossing then driving off as I was on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I feel like the A35 doesnt seem to pull the Pana grill off as good as the A45s does
I agree, every time I see a Panamericana grill on anything that it’s not intended to be on I feel a piece of me dying inside, I see a few E220d’s every now and then with one on which just physically pains me. It is interesting to me how relatively small design changes like on the 45s make the grill work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing well. A quick one, I am interested in getting the Panamericana grill on my A35. I have seen a few on Ebay and Ali Express but wondered if I ordered one would the Mercedes dealership perform the installation?

If so, anyone ever done this before and know how much they typically charge? I am based in the midlands near Coventry.

Or would it be best to purchase the grill directly from Mercedes and then get them to install it? As mentioned Ebay and Ali Express have them to purchase from £80-150 for camera version but I am also worried I might not get the correct grill or maybe one grill maybe more difficult to fit than another (seen some Honeycomb grills and other black standard ones)?

Also, if on a PCP, do you think it's OK to get the grill changed? I understand I may need to get this changed back to the standard grill if returning the car. Do you think a change to the grill is deemed OK?

Thank you for your time.
Hi Have you got the name of the company in Watford please as I bought a grille off E bay for my A Class 2013 and the fittings don't match
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. Having done the grill change myself recently a few tips: 1) it is worth changing over as it looks so much better, 2) it takes 4-5 hours and is quite fiddly especially getting the star off so would go with the suggestion of getting it done in Watford if no where else does it closer, and 3) I would get them to do some noise deadening work while they have the wheels off if you also find excessive road noise to be a problem especially on coarse chip road surfaces.
POC
Hi Have you got the name of the company in Watford please as I bought a grille off E bay for my A Class 2013 and the fittings don't match
Cheers
Paul
Hi I changed my grill and it looks great I got it from carbon factory

·
Super Moderator
4,359 Posts
Please do post a photo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts