Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
My A45 sunroof has had a funny do the other day. The blind has gone all the way back and now won't move. When I press the open button the roof lifts a tiny bit then goes back down again and closes. The MercedesMe app says the roof is open for ventilation. I have tried the reset procedure a few times without any luck, does anyone have any clues as to a fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sometimes in cold weather, my A180 pano sunroof will get stuck and won't open... I try again or give it a helping push and fixes it.
BTW I didn't realise the Mercedes me adapater (OBD2) existed until now...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have since had a diagnostics check done by my local auto electric garage and no faults relating to the sunroof and blind show up. Although it did show up a fault code A1059A (B21059A), something related to stop start or auxiliary battery so I'm told. Could this affect the panoramic sunroof and sun blind? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replace it and find out. It wouldn’t surprise me at all.
Thanks, I'll give it a go, just have to hope I can do it myself without a dealer visit to 'code it', as I have read that it's not just as simple as swapping it for a new one. It's the one in the footwell above the fuse box is it not?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a similar issue with my sunroof. It some times felt like the seal was stuck and would not open or when it did open the back of the roof it just jumped back down to the closed position.

Almost like the mechanism was worn or damaged.

I changed the main car battery to a new one as the stop start had also stopped working and the roof along with the stop start system worked perfectly since. Your issue could be the same as mine.

How old is your main battery? Mine was 6 years old.

I changed my battery from the VARTA AGM to a Bosch AGM of exactly the same spec (amps etc) and no programming was required for the new battery. Straight plug and play.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a similar issue with my sunroof. It some times felt like the seal was stuck and would not open or when it did open the back of the roof it just jumped back down to the closed position.

I changed the main car battery to a new one as the stop start had also stopped working and the roof along with the stop start system worked perfectly since. Your issue could be the same as mine.

I changed my battery from the VARTA AGM to a Bosch AGM of exactly the same spec (amps etc) and no programming was required for the new battery. Straight plug and play.

Thanks for your reply

The main and auxiliary are both in from new which was March 2017. So you say no problems if I just swap a new battery for the old ones?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not replaced the auxiliary battery in the car. Just the main one in the engine bay and it fixed the issue.

A straight swap for a new one worked for me. Do you also.have issues with the stop start not coming on or taking a very long time to go green as that's a very good indication of a weak battery?

Take a look at the main battery in the car. My 2015 had a Varta AGM, they may still have been using the Varta AGM in 2017. The details of the battery should be under the mercedes sticker they put on top of the battery..

Just make 100% sure you replace the battery with the same like for like Varta or Bosch equivalent Amp, crank , AGM etc and you will find no issues.

I think the problem with programming comes when people fit a different Amp etc to that already found in the car.

The Bosch replacement fixed my sunroof opening issue and stop start 100%

I think the Varta and Bosch are made in the same factory from what I read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the replacement Bosch AGM battery I have...
(ignore the red line on the picture as that's me covering the serial number)
Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper Electrical wiring Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

I have found it says AGM by the blue arrow, it was hidden under the wrongly placed red positive plastic piece.
So I just undo the bolt down the side in green, then disconnect negative in red first, then positive in purple, and all the arrangement will come off the terminals?
Replace in reverse order and it should work OK?

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Must be AGM due to the stop start and of the same AMPS etc, if you can afford it replace it with the same AGM Varta already in the car or the equivalent AGM Bosch like the one I have. Disconnect negative 1st when removing.

Then when installing connect the negative 1st.

Just loosen the 1 bolt on each of the terminals enough to allow you to easily remove the cables.

Make sure everything is turned off in the car before you do anything fans , radio , remove key from ignition etc. It will avoid any voltage spikes as you replace the battery.

Once you remove the terminals from the battery push them out of they way and cover them with a cloth just in case they fall back to the terminals of the battery when you are working.

yes there should be a bolt by that side of the battery with a plate that comes out if I remember correctly. Once the bolt is loose remove it by hand if you can and vice versa as you don't want it falling in to the engine bay and being stuck on top of the under tray.

VERY important...... Make sure you got yourself in a good position to move the battery out and over the fender of the car and also the new one in. They are very heavy and not the easiest. Ensure the battery cables haven't fallen back in to the empty battery box before you move the new battery back in to the car.

it happen to me and I had to move the battery back out to push the cables out of the way before lifting it over the side and in to the car again.

Once you have replaced it, run the car and your sunroof should work no problems and after a few miles of charging you stop start should go green and work again 👍😁.

i forgot to mention.... you can see an overflow tube on the side of the battery. carefully remove it from the side of your old battery before you take it out of the car and push aside.

Before you put the new battery in ensure that the hole on the other side of new battery facing the firewall has a plug.

I think both sides are plugged if I am correct on the new battery but check.

Once you have the battery in the tray of the car , bolted down and before connecting the terminals remove the side plug of the battery next to the tube and connect the tube to it just like it was in the old battery.

And that's it 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Must be AGM due to the stop start and of the same AMPS etc, if you can afford it replace it with the same AGM Varta already in the car or the equivalent AGM Bosch like the one I have. Disconnect negative 1st when removing.

Then when installing connect the negative 1st.

Just loosen the 1 bolt on each of the terminals enough to allow you to easily remove the cables.

Make sure everything is turned off in the car before you do anything fans , radio , remove key from ignition etc. It will avoid any voltage spikes as you replace the battery.

Once you remove the terminals from the battery push them out of they way and cover them with a cloth just in case they fall back to the terminals of the battery when you are working.

yes there should be a bolt by that side of the battery with a plate that comes out if I remember correctly. Once the bolt is loose remove it by hand if you can and vice versa as you don't want it falling in to the engine bay and being stuck on top of the under tray.

VERY important...... Make sure you got yourself in a good position to move the battery out and over the fender of the car and also the new one in. They are very heavy and not the easiest. Ensure the battery cables haven't fallen back in to the empty battery box before you move the new battery back in to the car.

it happen to me and I had to move the battery back out to push the cables out of the way before lifting it over the side and in to the car again.

Once you have replaced it, run the car and your sunroof should work no problems and after a few miles of charging you stop start should go green and work again 👍😁.

i forgot to mention.... you can see an overflow tube on the side of the battery. carefully remove it from the side of your old battery before you take it out of the car and push aside.

Before you put the new battery in ensure that the hole on the other side of new battery facing the firewall has a plug.

I think both sides are plugged if I am correct on the new battery but check.

Once you have the battery in the tray of the car , bolted down and before connecting the terminals remove the side plug of the battery next to the tube and connect the tube to it just like it was in the old battery.

And that's it 👍
Many thanks for your thorough description of the procedure.
I've ordered a new battery so let's see what happens - I'll keep you informed !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have since called into my local dealer. A mechanic came and had a look and he seemed to think it is just stuck in the wrong place, and so is mechanical as opposed to a software issue. So I have booked it in for them to manually open the roof and put things back in place. A couple of hours he reckons initially, just have to hope nothing is broken. 🤞🤞

1 - 18 of 18 Posts