Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow smitten W177 friends, my first post, so please be gentle.
I understand how the passenger airbag automatic detects & have gone through the many posts people have put up already. However, there are occasions I need to put my grandsons car seat in the front and I don't want the airbag on for that.
Other than pulling a fuse and having the dashboard light up like a Christmas tree (sorry to use the C word in October) with alarms screaming at me every 90 seconds, does anyone know how (or if) I can manually override the automatic activation?
Many thanks! ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it seems that way. Very strange and not ideal, but I have been keeping the passenger seat as far back as possible when needed.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have you tried just fitting the child seat and driving with it (empty) ?
There is supposed to be a child seat detection system, and it should disable the front passenger airbag?
In the online handbook it just says to not use a childseat if the passenger airbag is activated & makes no mention of a detection system.

Text Font Document Screenshot

·
Administrator
5,162 Posts
It does say in the instructions above:

“The automatic front passenger front airbag shutoff is able to detect whether the front passsenger seat is occupied by a person, or a child restraint system.
The front passenger airbag is enabled or disabled accordingly”.

So according to the text, it should (in addition to occupied/not occupied) recognise occupied by a person/by a child seat!

I appreciate it isn’t working for the OP, it might be down to that particular make/model of child seat that is triggering the seat mat sensor differently, compared to one that M-B sell as a compatible accessory (Britax Romer).

M-B used to use tags/transponders in compatible child restraint systems to activate/deactivate the front passenger airbag, but in recent years, have gone down the route of recognition via the seat mat sensor to distinguish between passenger/child restraint/unoccupied.

The current seat mat sensor is fairly sophisticated in multiple point weight and occupancy detection, and doesn’t work by just overall weight alone, so I am reasonably sure it’s just an incompatible child seat.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It does say in the instructions above:

“The automatic front passenger front airbag shutoff is able to detect whether the front passsenger seat is occupied by a person, or a child restraint system.

So according to the text, it should (in addition to occupied/not occupied) recognise occupied by a person/by a child seat!

I appreciate it isn’t working for the OP, it might be down to that particular make/model of child seat that is triggering the seat mat sensor differently, compared to one that M-B sell as a compatible accessory (Britax Romer).

M-B used to use tags/transponders in compatible child restraint systems to activate/deactivate the front passenger airbag, but in recent years, have gone down the route of recognition via the seat mat sensor to distinguish between passenger/child restraint/unoccupied.

The current seat mat sensor is fairly sophisticated in multiple point weight and occupancy detection, and doesn’t work by just overall weight alone, so I am reasonably sure it’s just an incompatible child seat.
I don't think the seat pad sensor is advanced as you think since Mercedes themselves recommend you don't use a child seat if the passenger airbag is automatically activated.

·
Administrator
5,162 Posts
No manufacturer advises that any child restraint system is used in the front seat if the front passenger airbag is active.

Mercedes do have an automatic detection/recognition system fitted, to detect compatible child restraint seats / adults / unoccupied.

Im not sure why you’re in such denial about this, it says it multiple times in the handbook snippets you’ve posted above!

Granted, the OP can’t get it working for him, but chances are that he/she isn’t using a compatible child seat.

“......manufacturers, such as Mercedes, have an automatic airbag disabling system. This disables the airbag if it identifies that a child restraint system has been fitted in the front passenger seat. This device was developed in conjunction with the child restraint system manufacturer Römer and is known as Automatic Child Seat Recognition (ACSR). However, it only works with child seats manufactured by Römer and is sold exclusively through Mercedes dealers.”

·
Administrator
5,162 Posts
From your owners manual!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.