Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Everyday the merc looks better and better!!

However went to see what air pressure I will be putting into tyres which is on the back on the petrol flap tonight and it won't open!!

Anyone else had this problem, tried pushing it in a few times and it won't pop open!,

Shall I take it into dealers?

Your comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Geg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try carefully pushing your finger nail in the gap between the pertol cap and the body and ease the cap open. I do not think it is spring loaded and pushingwill not hellp. Or could use a thin piece of wood to do the same - once youve done is once it should open ok in future

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be being abut silly now but what do you mean by locked it? If car is locked, flap won't open?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its a push - push catch..... if doors locked it will not open. If it will still not open, do not force it as you may distort it or even scratch it! once doors unlocked just push it opposite end to the hinge, and the same when you want to close it

·
Registered
93 Posts
Was in the petrol station the other day and while I was in the queue to pay a lady in a White Audi A7 was truing to open her petrol cap. She was struggling and I decided I would help her as soon as I was clear. She was visibly getting pi$$ed with it and before I could get out she writhed it open with her keys. I went over and she had made a right old mess, twisting the upper corner. I asked if the car was open and she said she had locked it as the 'kids were inside'!!!!!! I explained that if the car was locked the cap was locked - she started off then about her husband who 'always did it for her'!!

Reactions: ajlA200d

·
Registered
65 Posts
This has just started to happen to our A250. Only 16,0000km. Sometimes it opens, sometimes it fails. Missus is now with the dealership to get it fixed. It's unbelievable how this can happen in 2016.
Another dent in our confidence toward the MB brand.As first time customers, that is.
This ride will stay with us no longer than the warranty period.
Our other car has clocked 95,000km without a single issue. German reliability can never beat Japanese reliability. Fact, fact, fact.

Edited by: Dielle

·
Registered
65 Posts
Diagnosis: faulty fuel door electric cable. Replaced on the spot.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
this has been a common fault with the A-Class since they first hit the road unfortunately

·
Registered
65 Posts
I guess they just couldn't make a simple electric cable work? Jesus Christ, German engineering...

Reactions: AdamStan

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the opposite problem last year, the darned fuel filler flap wouldn't close and kept flying open! It was a bit dodgy passing cyclists. My dealer replaced the solenoid switch but now it's difficult to open.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Lol Alpha I had the same prob as you after a month of ownership replaced the solenoid like yours.
Had about 350 miles on the clock must be a common fault.
The stop start used to open mine lol to funny

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well mine had all the symptoms: wouldn't open, or would open by itself, or the 'fuel filler flap open' would appear when driving even when closed.Edited by: Dielle

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry I should clarify the dealer mentioned "electric component" and "knob" so most likely it's the solenoid switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

Everyday the merc looks better and better!!

However went to see what air pressure I will be putting into tyres which is on the back on the petrol flap tonight and it won't open!!

Anyone else had this problem, tried pushing it in a few times and it won't pop open!,

Shall I take it into dealers?

Your comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Geg
No. Just slide the fuel cap cover of ( to the right) this reveals black cover , then flick switch open with screwdriver ( top right hand side )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts