Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yesterday I had my 2014 A180 Petrol Automatic A Service done, and now have the same issue myself. Plus the gear shifts feel a little tight/jerky. I'm wondering if this is because of the fluid change, new spark plugs etc and over time the engine will run in again?

·
Registered
737 Posts
The gearbox oil would not have been changed. Thats done at 72,000 miles.

They probably updated the software for the gearbox, so its currently re-learning. Should get smoother over the next few days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's just strange how after the full service suddenly there is a growly noise when accelerating and the revs are high. I am generally a gentle driver. The gear shifting has improved slightly, however am still getting this noise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I see you have a petrol model so doubt it’s the same noise as I have . Mine is a tinny sound similar to a petrol engine pinking when the ignition timing or fuel and air mixture is not correct . I would certainly return if it happened straight after it’s service .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well , took the car into MB dealer today and as always happens the noise had gone , absolutely amazing that this always happens . I explained again how it sounds and was told it’s probably the auto gearbox getting to know my driving style but if it continues bring it back without an appointment as it’s happening and we will arrange for the technician to come out on a test run . Apparently they have had other cases and again said maybe treat it as a characteristic of the car if you can . My thoughts are they know a problem exists but maybe not possible to rectify the cause without serious engineering changes .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, so I ended up calling out Roadside Assistance for my A180 petrol, and it turns out that during he service they had forgotten to reconnect the turbo! Hopefully problem solved.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well , another bad day today as the noise returned at its loudest to haunt me . Got to be something wrong , this engine or other component cannot have been designed to sound like this . Unfortunately I was far from the dealer so could not just pop in as it was happening .

·
Registered
737 Posts
The early versions of the OM651 in circa 2010 had issues with the single Timing chain. It would stretch and rattle. And sometimes snap.
The problem affected all ranges, right up to the VANOS vans.
However, by 2012 the chain was modified to prevent the issue. So dont think it will be that.
Im on 83,000 miles now and only occasionally hear the noise if i have the windows open and in Eco mode. Presumably when its running really lean.
In C, or S i dont hear it.

But mine has the BRABUS kit on it, so i assume again its getting a bit more fuel than a stock car.

Do you own the car outright, or is it on a PCP ?.
When my first A200d had all the nightmare issues, MB Finance rejected the car themselves. As they technically owned it. Then got the 220d as a replacement. So maybe worth going that route if its PCP that is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I own the car outright . It’s just a year old . I am pretty certain it’s not the chain . It makes the noise in all modes . It’s really strange , yesterday it was really loud but today at its normal which I can hear clearly on every acceleration and it’s not foot to the floor . It’s like a flap opening and closing very similar to a petrol engine pinking . It could be to do with fuelling , I need to get something under the bonnet to try and give an idea of where it’s coming from whilst on the move . Nothing at all during idle . I will find where it’s coming from and if and when I do my next visit to MB will be interesting . Thanks for your reply .

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeh its a real odd one. I thought my previous A200d had just about every fault going, RE the OM651.

Endless check engine lights and limp home modes.
Engine wiring loom chaffed and shorting out under air con compressor. Causing engine lights and weird running issues. Entire loom replaced.
Flap in exhaust jammed shut. Motor melted and had to be replaced.
Turbo pressure sensor failed twice.
Multiple bad earthing issues. The big one on the passenger side front upper inner wing being the main one. Corrosion.
Inlet manifold split, leaking air. Plastic Welds failed on the seams. A known fault on a batch of 2016 manifolds.
Injectors went out of tolerance. All 4 replaced.
Stop start battery failed.

My 220d has had the Exhaust flap fail, and also the turbo pressure sensor. The Mercedes breakdown recovery guys keep a load of them in their vans due to the high failure rate.

The split inlet manifold in my case caused a high pitched whistle on-boost. So not the rattle that you have..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Crikey , that must have been manufactured on a Friday afternoon !! Mines been ok apart from this noise on acceleration too date . I know you can get paranoid about it but I just don’t believe it’s normal . Will get to the cause eventually , hopefully anyway .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Another bad day today , the rattle was at its loudest too date . Then typically as on the way to the dealer it stopped . Unless owners aren’t noticing I must be the unlucky one . It sounds like two empty baked beans cans rattling against each other .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another bad day today , the rattle was at its loudest too date . Then typically as on the way to the dealer it stopped . Unless owners aren’t noticing I must be the unlucky one . It sounds like two empty baked beans cans rattling against each other .
Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Not exactly from MB but I know now for sure it’s when the DPF regeneration is in progress . The exhaust will also be crackling from the extra heat that builds up when you switch of the engine if this happens to be during a regeneration or just after completion . I now try to make sure the regeneration is complete before switching off . May be a few extra miles but better for the car I believe . Why it creates the sound during regeneration would be nice to know but unable to find out too date .

21 - 35 of 35 Posts