Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
A180 D Premium Exec
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Has anyone noticed that after resetting their automatic gearbox on a W177 , noticed that you have got very poor fuel consumption
has anyone else had this?

thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
Never noticed any difference to be honest. Although I stopped doing gearbox resets as I found it pointless. I just stick it in Sport mode if I want faster response.

Are you doing these resets often? Because that could be the problem. The gearbox (I hesitate to say) 'learns' so constantly resetting its brain probably isn't helping matters at all.

·
Registered
A180 D Premium Exec
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never noticed any difference to be honest. Although I stopped doing gearbox resets as I found it pointless. I just stick it in Sport mode if I want faster response.

Are you doing these resets often? Because that could be the problem. The gearbox (I hesitate to say) 'learns' so constantly resetting its brain probably isn't helping matters at all.
No this is the first time Ive reset it since purchasing the car last October , I reset the Gearbox as it was quite jerky - feels smooth now but notice the fuel seems to drop quicker.

·
Registered
391 Posts
No this is the first time Ive reset it since purchasing the car last October , I reset the Gearbox as it was quite jerky - feels smooth now but notice the fuel seems to drop quicker.
Ah, just wondering. Perhaps it'll get better in time.

·
Registered
A200 Sport 2018
13 Posts
Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do you reset the auto gearbox?
i have a petrol a200.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do you reset the auto gearbox?
i have a petrol a200.
Somebody posted it on here months ago, I can't find the thread & can't remember who posted it but lucky for you I screen capped the instructions -

20200223_222530.jpg

For step 2, remember to leave your foot off the brake or the car will start.

·
Registered
77 Posts
just if it is relevant I had the same feeling, but because I was doing short trips.. I needed to do longer trips and the consume average will go down...

·
Registered
391 Posts
My A200 AMG Line has been getting notably better consumption since it's first service.
Last week I drove from Durham to Kielder on almost exclusively twisty roads & got 48mpg. I don't drive slowly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but the above ‘reset’ is more just a throttle adaption reset only and not a full recalibration of sorts. There is a lot of other factors involved I was told by a tech at Merc (and spent ages googling it) and that a proper reset had to be done using Mercedes star software. Mines going in to have this done soon so will report back after with how it responds. I’ve had the new software installed for the gearbox by the way but still not 100% so hoping the reset will work.

·
Registered
A200 Sport 2018
13 Posts
Many thanks for the update.
Thought I had asked a question with an obvious answer, but maybe not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Many thanks for the update.
Thought I had asked a question with an obvious answer, but maybe not.
yeah gets a bits complicated really, I’m going through it all at the moment as have a few issues with my auto a200. There is a software update for the engine and gearbox if yours hasn’t had it already, this made the gearbox better but it’s still not quite right. They are talking now about recalibrating the gearbox using Merc star software which will hopefully make the car drive 100% like you would expect a Merc to drive like (fingers crossed)!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but the above ‘reset’ is more just a throttle adaption reset only and not a full recalibration of sorts. There is a lot of other factors involved I was told by a tech at Merc (and spent ages googling it) and that a proper reset had to be done using Mercedes star software. Mines going in to have this done soon so will report back after with how it responds. I’ve had the new software installed for the gearbox by the way but still not 100% so hoping the reset will work.
You're right. It's become apparent to me that doing the reset is pointless but I do have the latest gearbox software.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You're right. It's become apparent to me that doing the reset is pointless but I do have the latest gearbox software.
do you have any troubles with yours at all? Mine tends to hang onto gears a bit longer than what they should and also the display on the dash which tells you what gear your in isn’t in sync with what gear the car is actually in (if that makes sense!) there is a delay in the correct display reading.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same problem. A year ago I had my car on first service and I also told them that I had some problems with the gearbox that it did not do smooth gear changes.

They reset it and it was very good for a long time.

But now it is worse than before. If I go around 20-35km/h it jumps between first to forth gear very unevenly.
So I guess I need to take it back again for another check up..

·
Registered
391 Posts
do you have any troubles with yours at all? Mine tends to hang onto gears a bit longer than what they should and also the display on the dash which tells you what gear your in isn’t in sync with what gear the car is actually in (if that makes sense!) there is a delay in the correct display reading.
Absolutely zero problems with the transmission whatsoever.

·
Registered
2020 A35 Amg
54 Posts
I have the same problem. A year ago I had my car on first service and I also told them that I had some problems with the gearbox that it did not do smooth gear changes.

They reset it and it was very good for a long time.

But now it is worse than before. If I go around 20-35km/h it jumps between first to forth gear very unevenly.
So I guess I need to take it back again for another check up..
[/QUOTE

What most people do not get with all modern gearboxes is that they learn and it makes sense to use the modes.

If you want to be a hooligan, use sport+, if you want to be a bit frisky, just sport, if you want to drive around the way a mercedes should be, use comfort.

You should have no need to keep resetting it.

If you are genuinely having problems then go to the dealer for an update to fix the problem.

·
Registered
A200 Sport 2018
13 Posts
I do manage good fuel consumption and there seems to be a sync between dash display and actual gear. I find it a bit ‘clunky’ (you can tell the difference going from D2 to D3 rather than D6 to D7, for example). Only purchased my car (68 plate) two months ago, so not sure if it has had the gearbox update - I know my map software is 2020 and I have the latest MBUX update?

·
Registered
2020 A35 Amg
54 Posts
I do manage good fuel consumption and there seems to be a sync between dash display and actual gear. I find it a bit ‘clunky’ (you can tell the difference going from D2 to D3 rather than D6 to D7, for example). Only purchased my car (68 plate) two months ago, so not sure if it has had the gearbox update - I know my map software is 2020 and I have the latest MBUX update?
Unlikely that its had latest gearbox update, i picked up my brand new A35 3 weeks ago and i sent it back to have latest updates. They did FUP3 and gearbox update, as i was getting a jolt from the back of the car whilst parked and handbrake on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
mines a 68 plate and I had the latest engine/gearbox software done on mine, it ran good for a while but lately has started to run a bit rough again. There is a noticeable delay between the dash display and the actual gear it is in and Mercedes said it should change both at the same time and have advised a gearbox recalibration, going in this Friday so will see if it works, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Unlikely that its had latest gearbox update, i picked up my brand new A35 3 weeks ago and i sent it back to have latest updates. They did FUP3 and gearbox update, as i was getting a jolt from the back of the car whilst parked and handbrake on.
You probably get different gearbox updates with having 4matic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts