Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of our 180cdi AMG SPORT last Friday. My wife was presented with a bunch of flowers - nice! However the fuel light came on during the 5 mile drive back home - not so nice!!

We both really like the car and have done a good few miles this weekend.

We like the ride, we were concerned about all the 'rock-hard' reviews but the car is not overly harsh whatever the surface;
We like the quietness, it really is very quiet inside even at 80mph;
We like the sunroof and have actually hardly used the air-con at all! The wind deflector and electric blind are very effective too in preventing draughts;
Styling is superb and gets lots of looks;
USB - Have put entire iTunes on 64GB Stick and works a treat, saves problem of which iPone to connect to when we have 2 iPhones in the car
Reversing camera is brilliant - guides you depending on wheel position - quite superb!

However....
The mpg is dire as yet (but know it will improve with miles!) were only getting 43mpg (we get 38mpg from our 2004 S320!!!)
When the tank is near empty you can hear the fuel slopping round in the tank!
The Audio20 does not reduce volume significantly when the Becker is making announcements!
The seats are OK and initially feel very comfortably but after 100 miles+ we both found ourselves fidgeting about a bit trying to get comfy, not sure I would like to travel length and breadth of UK in it!!

All in all very pleased and sure it will bring quite a few reliable and economical years motoring... We will see

·
Registered
626 Posts
Great feedback thanks.
I look forward to adding my own following delivery this Friday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have done 2600 miles and still only get 43 ish mpg. Not as good as i had hoped for but a great car anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have done nearly 2000 miles and I am averaging 50-55 mpg. When it has been warmer, like today (10 degrees plus), I am getting 60mpg plus. It totally depends on how you drive it though. I'm cruising on the motor way at 70mph most of my journey.

·
Registered
626 Posts
hesy87 said:
I have done nearly 2000 miles and I am averaging 50-55 mpg. When it has been warmer, like today (10 degrees plus), I am getting 60mpg plus. It totally depends on how you drive it though. I'm cruising on the motor way at 70mph most of my journey. 
Impressive figures - what engine / transmission?

·
Registered
54 Posts
mon2s said:
hesy87 said:
Impressive figures - what engine / transmission?
maybe I should get mine checked out by the dealer as43ish is well below what seems to be an average of around 51-52mpg. Edited by: mixonic2

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cheers for the write up

Think the firm ride on Sport is a concern many people including me have, given the hoo-hah about it.

Haven't ordered a reversing camera and since heard the view out the back isn't the greatest so may just have to use the force.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A180 CDI AMG Sport with manual transmission. I have ECO selected and generally try to follow the gear changes that are suggested in the cluster.

It was 11 degrees outside yesterday evening and on a 25 mile journey, 20 of which were on the motorway I had an average 56 MPG. On a 40+ journey I would be looking at 60-62MPG. From new I have not had a tank of diesel average less than 50MPG.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we should all come round to you for some lessons in economical driving!

·
Registered
39 Posts
My early thoughts

+
Smooth acceleration when you push past what feels like a certain point on the gas pedal is very satisfying.
Feels like an involved drive, steering feels easy to be precise (dynamic handling?)
Sounds girly to say but I do love the colour, really standout.
Seats fit me well and they look great, stitching is very nice.
Kardon sound is excellent, DAB was worth it too.
The voice recognition has even worked the two or three times I've used it, even with my Lancastrian accent.

-
Yes, the views aren't great out the back and over the shoulders, but the wing mirrors are a good size to help compensate a bit. For now I'm being very careful when parking it in my underground car park with walls and pillars!
It is a bit of a choppy ride I've found, I like to feel the road normally but if it's a poor motorway it is a bit annoying.
Front cup holder slightly in way of gear stick when filled with erm, a cup.

Edited by: SJM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts