Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I currently have a '68 plate A200 AMG line Premium, and in the next couple of months, I am thinking of trading in for the A250e (in part because I'm trying to avoid my first MOT for several years 馃槀). I don't do what is considered the normal average of 10000-12000 miles per year; my average is closer to 7000-8000 miles. Predominantly when I do drive, the journies are 120 miles if going to work, 40-60 when visiting my partners family or going on walks and some 300-mile journies when I visit my family.

If I take the leap, I will be going for an AMG line Premium Plus and maybe the extra driving package to get Distronic Cruise Control in Denim Blue. I've had a look around YouTube and the internet. I haven't really found a good owners point of view around range/mpg on long-distance drives using navigation. This is supposed to help increase electric range/charging, braking characteristics regarding blending the regenerative and friction pads and how the handling may differ with regards to the additional weight. Charging at car parks, supermarkets and service stations.

I apologise in advance if my question has already been given and I've missed it and thank you in advance for your opinions.
Matt

Registered
MPG all depends on charge. If you don't charge it, MPG will be worse than your A200. If it is fully charged, you can expect around 50-60MPG on longer journeys.

Registered
I haven鈥檛 done really long journeys yet but I do 80-90 mile journeys every weekend. I鈥檝e been experimenting with navigation on/off and different driving modes. I鈥檝e found when navigation is on and using eco mode it won鈥檛 use all the battery. As an example when I hit the motorway the engine kicks in and then when sitting at 70 using cruise control the car switches between e-drive(battery), drive (petrol) and drive + charge(petrol + charging the battery). I got pretty good mpg with this but it won鈥檛 use all of the battery when getting to the destination it鈥檚 actually adding some back in, I then switch to electric mode to make sure I get back with 0 miles left in the battery. I can get 85mpg on my journey. I鈥檓 interested to find out on longer journeys what it would do in eco mode with navigation on. If navigation is off and using comfort or eco I think it uses battery first.

You will need to leave the car for 1.5-2 hours at a service station to fully charge from 0%, there鈥檚 no fast charging for uk models so the max is 7kW. I plugged in at Tesco over the weekend and got 6.6kW. I added a few miles while shopping.

Registered
For short journeys on electric, running costs are great, especially if you can charge on cheap rate electricity.

For longer journeys i have found the economy is not as good as the trip meter would have you believe.

Yesterday I did a 221 mile journey in Eco mode with sat nav set. I set off with a full tank of petrol (to the brim) and a full charge (42 miles).

According to the trip meter the car returned 61.4 mpg. See below;

So over 221miles it used 39miles of charge and 54% of the 35 litre tank of petrol (or 4.16 gallons). So take off the electric miles ( Which still has a cost on top of the petrol) the car did 182 miles on 4.16 gallons of petrol which is 43.75mpg.

The journey was mainly motorway at 70mph, see Eco score below for some idea how it was driven to achieve this.

Registered
For short journeys on electric, running costs are great, especially if you can charge on cheap rate electricity.

For longer journeys i have found the economy is not as good as the trip meter would have you believe.

Yesterday I did a 221 mile journey in Eco mode with sat nav set. I set off with a full tank of petrol (to the brim) and a full charge (42 miles).

View attachment 7776

So over 221miles it used 39miles of charge and 54% of the 35 litre tank of petrol (or 4.16 gallons). So take off the electric miles ( Which still has a cost on top of the petrol) the car did 182 miles on 4.16 gallons of petrol which is 43.75mpg.

The journey was mainly motorway at 70mph, see Eco score below for some idea how it was driven to achieve this.

View attachment 7779
Some interesting data there, I don't get my car until June (ETA), when you say short journeys on electric are great, what are you classing as short, I will be doing a round trip of approx 40 miles a day to work and back, A/B roads 30-40 mph, next to no traffic on way to work, but various points of stop start on way home, at the moment charging at work is there, but in a different car park to the one I use (extra 10 mins walk), plus they tend to get filled up by ICE cars. Could I see this journey completed purely on electric even if I do not manage to charge at work?

Registered
Some interesting data there, I don't get my car until June (ETA), when you say short journeys on electric are great, what are you classing as short, I will be doing a round trip of approx 40 miles a day to work and back, A/B roads 30-40 mph, next to no traffic on way to work, but various points of stop start on way home, at the moment charging at work is there, but in a different car park to the one I use (extra 10 mins walk), plus they tend to get filled up by ICE cars. Could I see this journey completed purely on electric even if I do not manage to charge at work?
I tend to get late 30s to very early 40s off a charge so doing the whole round trip on 1 charge is certainly possible. Just like a normal car, I find hills are the biggest drain on the battery so if there are lots of uphill stretches that plays a big part in shortening range. Obviously downhill driving is excellent for range.

Registered
You might see 40 miles range in the summer, but no where near in cold weather. Yesterday at 15 deg my range was 42 miles, today at 6 deg it shows 35. It has been as low as 26 in freezing weather. The cabin heater makes the biggest difference. It draws 4kW when on, so every time you heat the car it seriously reduces the miles you get out of it. What I have been doing is pre heating the car while it is still plugged into my charge point in a morning before work so the heater only uses the battery during my journey home from work.

Registered
You can get 40 in colder temps (below 10deg) depending on driving style and use of cabin heating. Try and utilise the workplace charging, if the spots are being ICE'd report it otherwise it will never get any better!

Registered
2019 BMW 530d, 2021 A200 Sport Exec Auto

View attachment 7776

View attachment 7779
That's really interesting, I done a 260 mile trip in my Mrs' A200 and got 54.3 MPG as an average. That was at 70 most of the way & a couple of odd bursts of acceleration. We were half considering an A250e for her, but on longer trips I just can't see that they make any sense.

Registered
Their benefit isn't for long runs, it's for local miles. I last filled up on 13th Jan, I have done 1300 miles since and only used 60% of the fuel.
I think the a250e can be very efficient when driven on medium range trips too. I use ECO mode when doing longer trips and get quite a lot of regen which means I can switch manually to electric quite frequently then top it back up. I have done 155 mile trip charging at both ends and managed 110 miles on electric.

My total since owning the car (just over 2 weeks) is 610 miles with a total of 531 on electric. That gives me an average of 256mp and 4.1mpwk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts