Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I tried to do some searching on the forum and found some posts relating to my issue from the 176 forum but nothing in 177 a45s.

I was driving like I would normally, very calmly in comfort mode with exhaust on letting the car warm up. I took a left turn on a hairpin and suddenly I get 4 warnings pop up on the dash about lane assist/brake assist, the esp off light comes on and check engine light. I click through the alerts and with no where to pull over keep driving and then power loss. I pull over as soon as I can. Jump out and check under the hood / car for leaks or damage but nothing.

I pressed the Mercedes me service button but they were no help. I turned the car on and idle was lower than normal so shut off again. I was in the bottom of a valley and needed to drive out so started the car again and this time no warning lights. The car seems like it’s down %50 on power, race mode feels like comfort and the whole thing is muted.

I’m taking it in to the dealer tomorrow but has anyone seen or heard of anything like this before ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
There’s a thread about GLA45s power loss. https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9jwwqn03
I do also remember some people mentioned power loss on CLA45s thread but cannot find it. Those car should have very similar power train and I guess it might be gear box issue? definitely worth keeping an eye on it.
Mine is on the ship and hope it doesn’t have this issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car only has 2400kms on it and new since Feb 17th. Its been flawless since that event today. Will let you guys know what they say. Its almost like the gearbox lost its programming and its in slippery mode the whole time.

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
I've not experienced anything like this on the A45s, only on my first A45. Which I am sure was down to a door replacement and the car relearning, as I had warnings come on for other things which went if I switch off for a couple of minutes and then on again.

Keep us posted on what MB say but I am sure it will be a reset or something similar. The guy in the GLA post went to MB Brisbane, please do let us know where you go. Can I also ask are you the only driver of the car. Just thinking of the learning side of the car getting confused between drivers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Car only has 2400kms on it and new since Feb 17th. Its been flawless since that event today. Will let you guys know what they say. Its almost like the gearbox lost its programming and its in slippery mode the whole time.
Hi,

I have has a similar experience on my new 2021 A45S which currently has 600 miles on the clock. Twice if has flashed up transmission error and lost all power briefly like it was in neutral. Seemed to perform a quick transmission reboot and then we were off again. I have asked Mercedes if they can find anything via Remote Diagnostics.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I was at the dealer for 4 hours today and really nothing much to report.

I had the following list of issues
  • power loss issue
  • Creaking seats
  • Creaking steering wheel (if pressure applied to left side
  • Chronic brake noise
  • Replace glove box cover ( marked from new delivery)
They said there is a software update that my car needs and they needed more time to fix the rest of the issues. It’s booked in for them to have it 2 days in 2 weeks from now.
I feel like they did something and responsiveness is back and the brakes felt different.

I will get a loan car on the next visit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I was at the dealer for 4 hours today and really nothing much to report.

I had the following list of issues
  • power loss issue
  • Creaking seats
  • Creaking steering wheel (if pressure applied to left side
  • Chronic brake noise
  • Replace glove box cover ( marked from new delivery)
They said there is a software update that my car needs and they needed more time to fix the rest of the issues. It’s booked in for them to have it 2 days in 2 weeks from now.
I feel like they did something and responsiveness is back and the brakes felt different.

I will get a loan car on the next visit.

Thanks for sharing this. Please let us know if you have any further updates. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So they have had my car for 2 days.
  1. They can’t do anything about the steering wheel.
  2. They insulated the back of the drivers sheet shell.
  3. They cleaned the brakes and tried to chamfer the pads but it didn’t work. Apparently mercedes have a new set of brake pads for the front that fix the squealing so they replaced them free of charge.
  4. They applied an ecu and ‘esp’ update. I will have to check specifics when I get the car tomorrow

·
Registered
195 Posts
4 They applied an ecu and ‘esp’ update. I will have to check specifics when I get the car tomorrow
The solution they gave for the power loss was ecu and esp update??

If yes, in my opinion this is very strange for a car manufacturer like Mercedes- AMG to release a car with this kind of problem. That saws me that there is a production line with "problematic" or full of "bugs" software for the ecu/esp and many cars should face the same problem, so a recall should be performed. I am not an expert, but i cannot think that this can happen only to one car.

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts

If yes, in my opinion this is very strange for a car manufacturer like Mercedes- AMG to release a car with this kind of problem. That saws me that there is a production line with "problematic" or full of "bugs" software for the ecu/esp and many cars should face the same problem, so a recall should be performed. I am not an expert, but i cannot think that this can happen only to one car.
The updates are probably considered non-critical and are being applied as cars get serviced.

I just wonder if independents can stay up to speed with these types of issues, especially if they are dealing across a range of different brands from different manufacturers. Hence why I stick with MB servicing only.

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts

Mine went in after a short while of ownership and they performed 14 software updates. Not had a problem since.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just wonder if independents can stay up to speed with these types of issues, especially if they are dealing across a range of different brands from different manufacturers.
That's a million dollars question! In my opinion car manufacturers target is to eliminate local garage "competition" by having as an ally technical progress. Cars are becoming more like a computer and an old school mechanic is left behind from the developments and as a result he will not be able to provide his services... So, dealerships will eventually become a one way option?? Let's hope not, for the sake of our wallet!!

Mine went in after a short while of ownership and they performed 14 software updates. Not had a problem since.
14 updates for your car and perhaps none for another one like yours. I believe that this is food for thought...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only explanation I have is that the dealers don’t want to spend time updating the cars before delivery and prey on the fact only some people will run into issues.

so the brakes are totally fixed and quiet now. They said they had totally new design pads from Mercedes ( pic attached ) and invoice papers attached.
87356490-F4E2-438D-A058-28F3B06132E1.jpeg

0EB53A79-01AE-4DE9-B72C-C14A44124E9D.png 68C9FDF6-BF17-4C23-A4F1-3C5482E13C76.png

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Glad you got some resolution. Fingers crossed it works.

New car PDI categorically does not include software updates, unless there is an instruction from M-B Technical to do so. In general, new cars delivered to customers will get the software level that was installed at the factory.

During the life of the car, software module updates are only applied if:

1. There’s a TIPS/TPI/Service Bulletin requiring the dealer to apply them on specific modules.

2. Part of a Recall

3. In the case of a complaint or fault on that specific module.

It is not part of a Service A nor Service B to update modules.

What was the "car braking itself" problem about?

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
The only explanation I have is that the dealers don’t want to spend time updating the cars before delivery and prey on the fact only some people will run into issues.

so the brakes are totally fixed and quiet now. They said they had totally new design pads from Mercedes ( pic attached ) and invoice papers attached.
View attachment 8037

View attachment 8038 View attachment 8039
I like the way they say the noise from the seats are normal. I certainly have no noise from mine.

Anyway well done getting everything sorted out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad you got some resolution. Fingers crossed it works.

New car PDI categorically does not include software updates, unless there is an instruction from M-B Technical to do so. In general, new cars delivered to customers will get the software level that was installed at the factory.

During the life of the car, software module updates are only applied if:

1. There’s a TIPS/TPI/Service Bulletin requiring the dealer to apply them on specific modules.

2. Part of a Recall

3. In the case of a complaint or fault on that specific module.

It is not part of a Service A nor Service B to update modules.

What was the "car braking itself" problem about?
Route based guidance was slowing the car dangerously in a tunnel because it thought it was above the ground when adaptive cruise control was on. Super sketch.

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
Route based guidance was slowing the car dangerously in a tunnel because it thought it was above the ground when adaptive cruise control was on. Super sketch.
How did you get a signal. I'm guessing most of the time in tunnels we don't get a signal so it's not an issue. In any case I don't know if the latest updates will help, assuming they are available in Australia now.

·
Registered
245 Posts

View attachment 8037

View attachment 8038 View attachment 8039
They may have ditched the metallic compound that tends to make them squeal, which is good for those who can't stand squealing but performance enthusiasts may not be too happy about it, myself included. To be honest, mine mostly squealed in their first 3-4k miles anyway and even then they weren't horrible. I've seen horrible and believe me these here don't come close. In any case, they've gone significantly quieter since (currently at 7.5k). Dunno what sort of changes they made but I sure hope it's not in the compound.

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
How did you get a signal. I'm guessing most of the time in tunnels we don't get a signal
Car Sat Navs mainly depend on mapping data and the internal gyro for navigation, and GPS as a secondary system to corroborate and get initial postition, hence why they work in tunnels, under trees, and to some extent, when you are going round in a multi storey car park.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts