Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys can anyone shed any light on private number plates for me, ive had a look round the DVLA website and i couldn't seem to find an answer.

Im planning on getting a private plate, but my car is on order and I'm not sure of delivery date as yet.

If I do buy one is there a time limit or anything from when you purchase the number plate to when you have to put it on a car.

Or are there any additional costs or anything if it doesn't go straight onto a car?

I could put it on my current car but if I'm selling it in few months would this create extra hassle transferring it from one car to another etc?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I bought private number plates from Plates4less.co.uk a very good company amalgamated to the DVLA. They are v reasonable. The price of the plate and £80 transfer fee. It was more expensive to have the plates, so I just had the certificate. The dealer had the certificate and made the plates when my car was ready! Hope this helps! Fish! I think you can hold onto the certificate for a year? But check that!

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can just buy the certificate as Lynne says and put it on retention. It will stay on retention up to a year. You should then be able to give it to your dealer and they can assign that plate to it. Would be worth asking the dealer.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just get the number you want and keep it on the retention certificate until your car arrives like Lynne did. You can hold the number for up to three years but it costs per year.

If you put it on your current car, it will be a hassle to then transfer it over and you will have to pay to do so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.