Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time here on the forum and need to share my personal experience with you. Well always thought that when purchasing my second new car from Mercedes it would again be a pleasurable experience, how wrong was this to be! Old first car 2 years ago a "C" Class sport, C180 CGI. No problems what so ever and i though it would be the same with my new A class A200 CDI in Mountain Grey, 17 inch wheels, Command "On line" option, under seat storage, Folding wing mirrors, rear seat access into boot, grey roof trim. On delivery after waiting nearly 2 months for the car, it was handed over to me in the car showroom in the normal Mercedes manner, however on going through the set up for my iphone to the command unit and pairing, all went well, but no mention or instruction for the "On Line" option. At the time and in the excitement of receiving the new car, I forgot to ask for information and see how it was to be achieved. The following day at home i tried unsuccessfully to pair the phone to the car for the "On Line" option to work. My phone provider assured me all was well with the phone and that data services were enabled, and that the issue must be with Mercedes Command unit. In looking at other Mercedes forums on line it soon became clear that my brand new car had a older DUT (Dial up Technology) unit fitted and that I needed the PAN (Personal Area Network) unit for it to link to the phone. I then contacted my Dealer in Dorchester and was told that this issue was known and that a "software fix" was being rolled out, and that my car would be recalled for this to be installed. At this point i was OK with that, and understanding that Technology "moves on" i decided a short wait was OK. How wrong was that to be!In driving the car for a further week just 500 miles now on the clock, a small particle of glass shot out of the side air vent and directly into my face just missing my eye! A week previously i also found particles of glass on the passenger side floor, this i assumed was trod in on the underside of a shoe, so no more was thought about it, but now having glass hitting me in the face, it was definitely a dealer visit issue. The salesman said it could not have come from my car, it was only the workshop supervisor that said it was likely that it was from the side window being broken during car manufacture, or sometime in transit from Germany to the UK. The issue needed to be addressed by stripping out the complete ventilation system and checking that there was no more glass inside! So now I have a new car that is going to be stripped down and put back together. I fully understand the safety implications but is this acceptable on a brand new car to have it stripped down and reassembled? My personal experience is nothing ever goes back together the same as it was originally built!
On the same visit to the dealer in Dorchester I was also informed that my car could not be modified for use with my iPhone as the hardware on the command module was not compatible and the software fix previously promised was not now an option. (A car supplied just 4 weeks previously has obsolete hardware fitted)! I paid £2K for the Command "On line" option something now totally unusable. I wonder if Mercedes feel this is customer satisfaction? My dealer certainly has showed me his true colours, and where can I go to have these issues resolved?
Any help offered would be much appreciated

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you spoken with the Dealer Principal yet? If not - I suggest you get your issue escalated to their desk.

If the dealer knew about the window smash, then they should have owned up. Taking apart the vent system to clean it seems sensible to avoid further glass parts, but in my experience of cars with smashed windows - you could be finding little squares of glass for months maybe years to come, even if they strip it. This is unfortunate and may leave a bad-taste in the mouth, but it's not necessarily cause to reject the car.

As for the command online, if you made it clear to them that you wanted it to work with your phone and now have something that doesn't - you might have a claim under the sale of goods act as the item is not fit for purpose.The dealership might offer to compensate, or they might propose a fix (this should be within acceptable timelines, not in "a few months" or "maybe next year"). If you fail to reach an agreement, you may have a case to reject the car and get your money back.

Rejecting a car is hard work and you may be better off reaching an agreement with the dealership or escalating further to MB.If you own the car outright, it's a little easier, but if you have finance on the car - then you don't own it until the final payment is made, in which case you might need to talk to them as "the owners".

On a side note - the spec sounds lovely, so I hope they can sort you out swiftly and to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks IAMG, your comments are all welcomed and appreciated, haven't taken the issues to the higher levels within the Dealer at Dorchester yet will be doing that tomorrow. Also interesting to hear you can reject a car back, hadn't considered that as an option, will however mention it tomorrow.Really angry with the salesman at the time of the ordering on the phone link option, as they should have given me a list of phones it worked with before taking my order and more importantly money!
Yes the car looks the part definitely a nice spec but would just like it to be working as ordered!
Thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi TeeDees,

You need to raise this with mercedes customer services if not already done so.. they will then liaise with the dealer if required. Sound like at the very least they need to replace the comand unit or refund you. The incompatibility issue seems to be a Mercedes problem & not the dealer.

If you email all the info in a similar way as above to the following email address they will open a case. [email protected]

I have just had an issue with an audio option not working correctly as advertised and they have compensated me with 3yrs free servicing which roughly works out at getting my money back.

I'm guessing the phone connects ok via bluetooth for making calls etc but you can't get onto the web?

anyway -
good luck...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice Kevybabes, yes the phone works fine via the blue tooth connection. Just the wireless connection for the On Line connection thats the issue. Been in touch with my dealer again today and spoke the the sales manager not the sale guy who sold me the car and he is now looking into the problem. Promises me it will be resolved, so a little more hopeful today that MB will replace the Command hardware to the latest version. Will keep the forum updated.With regards to the glass being emitted from the air vent, he also confirmed on the delivery paper work held by MB that the car did suffer "Minor transit damage". Nothing more descriptive than that. Looks like i'm going to have to have the car examined and stripped down to see if there is any more glass inside. Not happy but hopefully the car will be put back together as it was built. If not then maybe i'll have to take it directly to Mercedes Customer services.
Thanks again for your comments, and help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.