Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know is there a quality difference in the cars that come from the factories from Finland or Germany. I read that In the Glc there has been significant improvements in interior quality in the ones that are made in Finland.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does any one know is there a quality difference in the cars that come from the factories from Finland or Germany. I read that In the Glc there has been significant improvements in interior quality in the ones that are made in Finland.
To my knowledge the quality is the same, however in those countries you can add way more options to the cars. Example full leather seats, cooled seats and 360 camera. But in terms of how well the car is put together it should be the same, however there is a chance I am wrong as iv never seen a car registered in those countries

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would think identical unless engineered to be different and that's a hassle. Different options yes, but different identical parts by build (plastic grades) or build (fitting playbooks) .... Don't see it.

Car manufacturers are like lego builders these days. Many parts or at least the components are supplied by third parties.

·
Registered
434 Posts
To my knowledge the quality is the same, however in those countries you can add way more options to the cars. Example full leather seats, cooled seats and 360 camera. But in terms of how well the car is put together it should be the same, however there is a chance I am wrong as iv never seen a car registered in those countries
The options available are determined by Mercedes in the country it is sold in, not by the country it is manufactured in... Whether you get a car made in Germany or Finland, the options available in the UK will be exactly the same.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mine was built in Finland. It has been absolutely flawless (touch wood). I don't think where your car was built reflects the quality.
Forums are scary places where you hear horror stories of issues & problems. Remember that it's rare people join a forum just to say how great their car is & that the people with issues are still a tiny minority compared to average owners. Even seemingly common issues could realistically be only affecting a tiny percentage of total owners.

Irrelevant to the topic but I'd like to add - Starview!! Mine just had its first service & I never expected a personal video of my vehicle's health check. It's my first Merc but Jesus! Above & beyond Mercedes!

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
100 Posts
Mine was built in Finland. It has been absolutely flawless (touch wood). I don't think where your car was built reflects the quality.
Forums are scary places where you hear horror stories of issues & problems. Remember that it's rare people join a forum just to say how great their car is & that the people with issues are still a tiny minority compared to average owners. Even seemingly common issues could realistically be only affecting a tiny percentage of total owners.

Irrelevant to the topic but I'd like to add - Starview!! Mine just had its first service & I never expected a personal video of my vehicle's health check. It's my first Merc but Jesus! Above & beyond Mercedes!
Mine was built in Hungary. Also mechanically perfect so far, and loving it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This is quite common now. My partner’s car is a Fiat 500 and they do the same videos. YouTube stars can now also apply to be car mechanics 😊

·
Registered
302 Posts
The options available are determined by Mercedes in the country it is sold in, not by the country it is manufactured in... Whether you get a car made in Germany or Finland, the options available in the UK will be exactly the same.
Yeah my bad I miss read the question asked by the OP

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is quite common now. My partner’s car is a Fiat 500 and they do the same videos. YouTube stars can now also apply to be car mechanics 😊
I didn't drive for a few years what with losing my leg so I was suitably impressed :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quality can vary massively between 2 manufacturing plants. Many major/large components are likely to be made local to the main OEM plant too, so their quality can vary too. It can be simple stuff like wrong torque settings on fixings, certain operators missing particular steps, etc. Many of these differences might not become apparent until 5-10 years down the line though. All sorts of things can and do happen in factories.
I don't know much about the Mercedes plants to comment on the A-Class though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Brother in law heads up quality control for a large aero business and he's says a high proportion of issues arise from suppliers not the shop floor. That's an industry where certain airlines (mainly Eastern ones) will only accept zero error planes. And fails its rejected.

I imagine Mercedes would be in line with this. They lost a lot of cred in the 1990s and early 2000s by reducing quality.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quite the opposite - there will be HUGE rework areas around the plants. There is a massive difference between building 50 planes a year to building a few 100,000 cars a year. It is actually the rework that can cause a lot of the issues, as there is a lot less control when putting bits back together.

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
Quality can vary massively between 2 manufacturing plants. Many major/large components are likely to be made local to the main OEM plant too, so their quality can vary too. It can be simple stuff like wrong torque settings on fixings, certain operators missing particular steps, etc. Many of these differences might not become apparent until 5-10 years down the line though. All sorts of things can and do happen in factories.
I don't know much about the Mercedes plants to comment on the A-Class though.
10 years ago, I would have agreed with you.

But step into any ISO9001 automotive assembly area, and today you'll find cordless and non-pneumatic torque wrenches, with Bluetooth/WiFi connectivity, that is linked to every car, so every single bolt final torque is recorded against the car build sheet, especially those that are critical (eg: SRS components). If the tool records an incorrect torque, the line stops.

A lot goes into the logistics, supply, right down to the stillages and presentation of parts so that the trackside worker will find it virtually impossible to assemble something incorrectly (eg poka-yoke) and everything is tracked and traced with QR codes. Process sheets and pictures are the norm, of course someone could still wilfully deviate from them, but that's a very small occurrence these days.

Not saying its impossible, but todays ISO9001 plants are a far cry from assembly plants from yesteryear. Quality across plants in different countries will have to conform, and you'll be surprised to see that final rework areas are small these days.

More often than not, cars now arrive in rework because of supply issues, rather than assembly faults.

·
Registered
50 Posts
10 years ago, I would have agreed with you.

But step into any ISO9001 automotive assembly area, and today you'll find cordless and non-pneumatic torque wrenches, with Bluetooth/WiFi connectivity, that is linked to every car, so every single bolt final torque is recorded against the car build sheet, especially those that are critical (eg: SRS components). If the tool records an incorrect torque, the line stops.

A lot goes into the logistics, supply, right down to the stillages and presentation of parts so that the trackside worker will find it virtually impossible to assemble something incorrectly (eg poka-yoke) and everything is tracked and traced with QR codes. Process sheets and pictures are the norm, of course someone could still wilfully deviate from them, but that's a very small occurrence these days.

Not saying its impossible, but todays ISO9001 plants are a far cry from assembly plants from yesteryear. Quality across plants in different countries will have to conform, and you'll be surprised to see that final rework areas are small these days.

More often than not, cars now arrive in rework because of supply issues, rather than assembly faults.
I know exactly what it is like - I work in the industry ;) I'm on product launch as we speak.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
My first MB was in 2002 a C-Class estate. I especially chose an estate, other than having a dog, because it was built in Germany and not South Africa. Everyone at the time said to avoid SA built MBs.

Just over three years later I was in the process of trading in it for another MB when I noticed a brown colouring in the wheel arch next to the driver. I then checked the other wheel arches and the driver's door and it seemed to be similar. I couldn't believe it a C-Class estate with under 20K miles on the clock, garaged every day and night as I took the train to work and it was rust. MB agreed to fix it all free but I was already in the process of trading it in and the MB dealer saw the MB agreement and took it. So much for German engineering and getting better build in one location to another.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
This is the link to the other tread where a similar discussion was taking place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts