Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

At 9k km we had to add 1 Lt oil. The notification message went on. I've done quite a few travels with the A-Class so nearly half of those km came on higher at a higher than 100 km/hour pace.

That said, still it feels a little bit weird compared to other engines that the car required 1 Lt after ~9k. Based on your experience is this something to worry about?

I'm asking because I've got mixed reviews so far, some say that it's something to worry about and others say that it's expected and I should be checking the engine oil every 3-4k and especially before and after trips.

My car model is 1461 cm3, 116PS Diesel, advanced w/ automatic gearbox.

Regards,

Panagiotis

·
Registered
417 Posts
First there is the possibility "Your" engine was not 100% full when you got it, did you ever check the level or did you just assume it was full?
Second "new" engines "sometimes" use more oil while they are running in and this reduces as the parts bed in, say 2k.
Third it could be a sign of a "below spec" engine where as we used to say it was a Friday build.
Forth it could be all the 1461 cm3 diesel use it at that rate.
Bottom line keep checking for future use rate and definitely raise it with you dealer (in writing or email) so you are on record to complain if things get worse or your not happy in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First there is the possibility "Your" engine was not 100% full when you got it, did you ever check the level or did you just assume it was full?
Second "new" engines "sometimes" use more oil while they are running in and this reduces as the parts bed in, say 2k.
Third it could be a sign of a "below spec" engine where as we used to say it was a Friday build.
Forth it could be all the 1461 cm3 diesel use it at that rate.
Bottom line keep checking for future use rate and definitely raise it with you dealer (in writing or email) so you are on record to complain if things get worse or your not happy in the future.
Hello Ben & Sandy,

Thanks for the reply. Most of your comments crossed my mind, that is why I decided to ask here before raising the concern with the dealership but now that your brought this up, I will definitely keep a closer eye on the oil level variations through time. Is there an electronic sensor that reports oil levels in the mobile app? I was not able to find any.

Regards & Merry Christmass!

Panagiotis

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hello Ben & Sandy,

Thanks for the reply. Most of your comments crossed my mind, that is why I decided to ask here before raising the concern with the dealership but now that your brought this up, I will definitely keep a closer eye on the oil level variations through time. Is there an electronic sensor that reports oil levels in the mobile app? I was not able to find any.

Regards & Merry Christmass!

Panagiotis
No, neither the App and the Portal show oil level.
In the car, press the "Dashboard Home button" on the steering and scroll to the "Service Menu" and then scroll down to the "Oil Level".
Problem is it does not seem to any quantity markings, if I remember correctly only Max and Min and as mine is still on max (2600 miles on the clock) I don't know what increments it goes down by.
Merry Christmas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts