Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Wondering if anyone can help as the racechip installation instructions are not clear.

I need to locate the following

Turbo boost pressure sensor
Map sensor
Camshaft sensor

Its in my A200 W177

If anyone can help id be grateful

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sadly can't help you for the A-class, since I never installed a race-chip. But wouldn't it be the same process as they advertise for the C-class?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not really helpful here but I gotta say it....
A racechip? Seriously? I was under impression that we as humanity has gotten over the chipping era. But Okay whatever.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not really helpful here but I gotta say it....
A racechip? Seriously? I was under impression that we as humanity has gotten over the chipping era. But Okay whatever.
What is wrong with those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Purchased the GTS version with app control.
The 2nd video might help if everything is in the same place. Thanks ill have a look

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd actually be interested in the results once installed. Looked at those before for my a200

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is my A35 so might be the same. You have to remove the engine cover to get to the cam sensor and there is a boost sensor either side at the back of the engine bay.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I dont understand how this works actually... you are supposed to set the mode/profile on the app? Do you have to switch the car also in sport mode or you can leave it in confort?
Does it matter if you stay in economy for example?
Maybe you can make a video on how this works...

·
Registered
91 Posts
The car modes don't alter engine maps, only throttle position, steering assistance and gearbox shift points etc.

These boxes sit physically between the cars computer inputs and the various sensors that tell it what is going on.
They modify the sensor data in real-time as it's sent to the cars computer.
This will force the cars computer (ECU) to act differently depending upon what it gets fed with.

A crude example is the 'chip box' telling the car's ECU that the turbo is only making half the boost pressure it really is.
So there is then scope for the ECU to add more turbo boost (and fuel, plus other tweaks) to make the car faster.

The art with these is not pushing the limits 'too far' and causing suspicious 'plausibility' codes to be logged in the car's ECU memory. This is why there are normally several 'levels' the owner can select - push it higher until it goes wrong :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So just an update. All installed along with the app control and what a difference. Pulls with no lag. Instant torque and power and much quicker.

App is good and simple to use with 3 settings eco sport and race which also has some fine tuning fuctions to step up or down the power slightly to suit your driving preference.

Car feels less restricted. Very pleased.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great intel guys. The 1.3 at 160 BHP is already in a fairly high state of tune.
I used Burger Motorsports box tunes on a couple of big BMWs and they worked flawlessly too.
Let us know, at service time, what the dealer shop reports in terms of error codes etc (if any).
That's a key point for some of us with intact warranty.
Thanks and enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will do. Racechip say its best to remove when servicing and then re install. Once removed they say there is no recorded data to say it was installed. Ill let you know

1 - 20 of 31 Posts