Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2018 A200 - W177. It's white and I like it.
I bought it 6 months ago when the icebox I now call home was full of snow and I had to use winter tyres. Now the snow has left and I'm using my summer tyres so the ride is much quieter and the passenger side has a terrible rattle which is destroying my soul.

I've done plenty of reading online and can't really find anything that points to it. Does anyone have some smart ideas on where it may be coming from and or how i can fix it. I work in an environment where I have access to a whole world of tools and I have reasonable skills with these kind of things but I just can't find where it's coming from.

I work & live between two cities (A bad idea I know) and I drive around 500-750kms per week so i spend a lot of time in it. It's not a problem at city speeds (50-60kph) but on the highway (100-120kph) its very annoying and turning up the music only helps slightly.

I'm willing to send the wizard who can help me end this nightmare enough money to cover the cost of a large glass of whatever poison you drink.

Save My Soul

JJ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2018 A200 - W177. It's white and I like it.
I bought it 6 months ago when the icebox I now call home was full of snow and I had to use winter tyres. Now the snow has left and I'm using my summer tyres so the ride is much quieter and the passenger side has a terrible rattle which is destroying my soul.

I've done plenty of reading online and can't really find anything that points to it. Does anyone have some smart ideas on where it may be coming from and or how i can fix it. I work in an environment where I have access to a whole world of tools and I have reasonable skills with these kind of things but I just can't find where it's coming from.

I work & live between two cities (A bad idea I know) and I drive around 500-750kms per week so i spend a lot of time in it. It's not a problem at city speeds (50-60kph) but on the highway (100-120kph) its very annoying and turning up the music only helps slightly.

I'm willing to send the wizard who can help me end this nightmare enough money to cover the cost of a large glass of whatever poison you drink.

Save My Soul
I have a A180SE 2019. I had a similar problem a few months ago that was driving me insane!
My creaking was from the rear passenger door. Try to get someone to sit in the back of the car and press and prod the trim by the windows. See if that helps. Also the rear parcel shelf is worth checking!

·
Super Moderator
4,473 Posts
I have a A180SE 2019. I had a similar problem a few months ago that was driving me insane!
My creaking was from the rear passenger door. Try to get someone to sit in the back of the car and press and prod the trim by the windows. See if that helps. Also the rear parcel shelf is worth checking!
Just to add to this I would also check that your seat backs are properly locked in place without seatbelts blocking them being locked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I checked the rear seats and had a look around the rear door cards tonight but nothing seemed out of place.

I'm thinking the problem is somewhere around the area of the glovebox, It almost around like something inside the glovebox is rattling but I have emptied everything from it.

I tired to record the sound but it didn't turn out so well

·
Super Moderator
4,002 Posts
The lid (inside the upper glovebox) that holds the owners manual, can "buzz" and rattle. Sounds a bit like a spring.

It's the "hidden" compartment inside the glovebox.

If you drive along with the glovebox open, and hold the inside upper lid still, it will stop, if that is where your sound is coming from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lid (inside the upper glovebox) that holds the owners manual, can "buzz" and rattle. Sounds a bit like a spring.

It's the "hidden" compartment inside the glovebox.

If you drive along with the glovebox open, and hold the inside upper lid still, it will stop, if that is where your sound is coming from.
I have looked at this in the past also and removed the manual from there but i'll take a look at it again because I think it's a strong candidate.

JJ

·
Super Moderator
4,002 Posts
Without the manual, mine buzzes more. I have to jam the manual in such a way that it presses certain areas of the lid/cover, and that stops the buzz.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi! I had a rattling noise like a tiny little screw was loose somewhere around the passenger side airvent. When I asked a friend riding with me to check where it came from he said it came from my side. Anyhow, I opened the sunglass compartment at the rearview mirror, and the rattle stopped. I went to the dealer and they changed the whole ceiling unit. Noise gone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Without the manual, mine buzzes more. I have to jam the manual in such a way that it presses certain areas of the lid/cover, and that stops the buzz.
I went with a friend today and he played around with the manual compartment in the glove box and it didn't change anything. He also said he thought the sound was coming from the middle of the dash area.

I have read something about the displays making sounds and needing some tape over some screws. Anyone know anything about this?

JJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi! I had a rattling noise like a tiny little screw was loose somewhere around the passenger side airvent. When I asked a friend riding with me to check where it came from he said it came from my side. Anyhow, I opened the sunglass compartment at the rearview mirror, and the rattle stopped. I went to the dealer and they changed the whole ceiling unit. Noise gone!
I have someone tell me something similar today, I think its from the passenger side and he said it was more central to the dash area, I will check around the mirror tomorrow.

I have a three hour drive home tomorrow with the annoying rattle 😩

JJ

·
Super Moderator
4,002 Posts
I went with a friend today and he played around with the manual compartment in the glove box and it didn't change anything. He also said he thought the sound was coming from the middle of the dash area.

I have read something about the displays making sounds and needing some tape over some screws. Anyone know anything about this?

JJ
Yes, there is a service bulletin issued to the dealers about removing the display, and inserting foam tape in a certain area.
But it only covers cars within a specific VIN range.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello. So i fixed all of mine rattles in the A class. First one came from

• sunglass compartment above head ( there is spring inside which i removed - place the credit card in the back of the upper panel and it will fall down and remove spring ) google for more info
  • A pillars on both sides, i removed them and placed felt tape on all touching plastic connections
  • B pillar removed and placed felt tape
  • removed all panels from doors and placed felt tape all around the doors. took around 10 meters total 1.5cm thick felt tape.
  • Side panels of dashboard (driver and passanger side), felt taped again all touching points.

All of this is easy done, i bought on ebay workshop WIS and read alot.

This is the highest qauality felt tape i have found on the internet. Same one that mercedes dealer gave me and wanted me to pay 10 euro for 1 meter. Assholes

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can you elaborate where exactly you should put felt tape in the instrument cluster. Is it at the bottom, at the screws, at the clips=?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I used to have a rattle/buzzing noise that appeared to be coming from around the glovebox area when I was sitting in the driver's seat, but my wife was convinced the noise was coming from the driver's side when she was sat in the passenger seat. Anyway, booked the car into the dealer and they identifed the problem to be the overhead sunglasses compartment as others have already mentioned. The problem was fixed by dealer with little hassle and the technician said it's a common and known problem. The fix surprised me as it didn't sound like it was coming from the central unit on the ceiling, but rather much lower down. Just goes to show that the locating of the offending item can be quote tricky to nail down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue (i think). I can hear it coming from the passenger side but the passenger insist that the noise comes from the driver`s side so i guess its somewhere in the middle?
Also the past 6 months the local dealer failed to find a more serious sound issue when i drive above 120km/h that comes if i open tha a/c. A whistle noise that drives me crazy. My car is a CLA (118) buts its basically an A class really. Everything that applies to a class applies to cla too. I booked an appointment to another dealer after the MB headquarters advised us to remove the center dash.
rattle noise
Whistle noise

·
Super Moderator
4,002 Posts
For whistling noise - check your windscreen trim.

See

1 - 20 of 21 Posts