Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, had the car week and half and every day is great!! However, does anyone else have this model and is t oral to ave a slight rattle type noise from the engine when accelerating, mainly in low gears?

I normally ave radio on so don't notice but other day heard it when music was off?

Is it normal?

Thanks guys

Greg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone help? Just drove back from work and happened again. When I accelerate there's like a rattle in engine? Anyone else ?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hard to comment without hearing. Obviously it will have a diesel rattle but I assume you mean something more than this. Best bet is to take it to the dealer and let them have a listen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Heat shields are sometimes the culprit, they're thin, can get knocked about, dented, bent and start touching other things they shouldn't.
Can you get someone to gently rev the engine whilst you listen outside with the bonnet up to try and identify the location of the noise?

Turn your head back and fortha little and do a couple of sidesteps when you hear the noise - think: Daddancing at wedding.If you're notdeafin one or both ears,this action will help you to pin point the sound andalso has the benefit ofputting a smile on the face of anyone watching you doing that

Tapping the mounts, sump, manifold etc. with a rubber mallet with the car ona ramp can also help to find it.

Or if your MB dealerman has good coffee, it'sa good excuse to look at the MB accessories while u wait for the pros.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi we have had the car 3 weeks now to be honest wife has it for work daily i only drive now and again she mentioned a rattle to me tonight i did hear it and as mentioned it sounds like a heat shield noise but was dark wen i got back so will check it out tomorrow will let you know my findings if i dont find anything il be booking in at MB dealer cheers Ian

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi greg got a call from mb today about something else i ordered and just mentioned it to the salesman he did say just have a look if you cant see anything give me a ring and we.ll book it in so the service guys can have a look Just had a quick look and its not what i thought it was ie heat shield, i lifted the engine cover off and it looks like a nightmare under there anyway if i rev the engine i am getting what sounds like an air leek whistle from the right side top of the engine area,but from inside the car sounds like a definate rattle as its new i dont want to get too involved with it so i am going to the dealers anyway tomorrow and going to book it in let them have a look at it, will let you know the outcome when sorted, if yours is the same thing you may also be better booking yours in with mb cheers ian

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Ian,

got any feedback from MB ?

i've got the same enigne in mine so im curious to the outcome.

cya

Raven

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi mate called in to see them last week a tech came and had a listen he said thats not a prob,i said it is as its my car and its new and it shouldnt have a rattle,he just booked it in for the 1st of may this being the earliest times spot i could get so should know more then,i did say so if anything happens to it in the meantime you MB will take full responibility for it he ,they said yes as its not a problem, and its not a problem that any other a classes have had as he checked with the factory computer recall system .So ill let you know what the outcome is next week
If i drove a fair few miles i wouldnt be too happy although the noise only appears now every couple of days on a 6 mile round trip to work for er indoors will update next week cheers Ian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Burning raven, do you get any rattles? Or your car still on order? I get my rattle every now and then and it's always after I've gone fast and accelerated hard. Then when I go back into first and second gear a slight rattle occurs when only slightly accelerating!

Anyone else also got this problem? I think I may take to dealer on Friday. I just seem to always notice it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do get some noise sometimes mostly when the engine is cold.

When I put the pedal down I get the nice turbo wistle...

Haven't had any real problems and I am at 2500 km driving distance ...

Will have them look at it at the first maintenance cycle...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Eventually got in to MB yesterday 6 techies ended up looking at my car they all said cannot hear anything there happened to be 2 other a200,s in they were all switching from car to car for ages the end result being theres no problem as all 3 cars sounded exactly the same its like a whistle in a pipe from outside but sounds like a rattle from inside the car only when accelerating, so although i wasnt that happy in the mb dealers for 2 hours and the end result being nothing has changed so all they do is put it on the cars record to see if there keeps on being a problem with other a200,s

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, that's Annoying that they can't do anything. It's happened on mine a few times and even a passenger even mentioned it!! I'm going to get paranoid about it!! But it does not happen all the time!! Only every now and then.

Will put a diesel tuning system on soon so maybe that will change sound or maybe not!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ye not to happy with the result but i only drive the car at weekends as er indoors wont let me have it so not such an issue but it would have been nice to be able to just drive it and not listen out for noises not the reason i bought a MB but still be sure to let me know what the tuning systems like when you get it done as this is something i was thinking about cheers Ian

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sort of glad i found his discussion on here as I thought i was going mad. My A180 CDI makes exactly the same noise. I can hear rattling coming from the engine when I press the accelerator. It is intermittent and so far I have failed to detect a pattern.

There is also a faint whistling when rolling at steady speeds and low gears. Again it happens every now and then.

I have also booked my car for diagnostics with MB here in Manchester next Friday so I will post an update when I know more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes let us know mate ,to be honest its the first time i have had a diesel car and a MB and i,m not too inpressed with MB and ive not finished with them just yet having paid best part of 28 grand and it doesnt sound as good as any of the 5 diesel vans i have had over the years,it could be that i am getting paranoid about it there techies say theres nothing wrong. but i have a mate who,s a diesel fitter and i am going to let him have a listen when he gets off hols for a independant opinion

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update from MB Manchester, they have identified the engine noise when the car is rolling but they said that is within the normal parameters of the engine and I shouldn't worry about it.

This is my first MB diesel car so i can't comment on the MB engines but coming from a VW diesel, the engine noise is definitely not something to praise about it.

They have only advised me to keep monitoring it and feedback any issues until the next scheduled service.

If anyone has had any luck with any other MB dealerships, let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm so glad I found this thread but from reading the final comments not so happy :(

I've just got my brand new A220 CDI last Wednesday so only 10 days old. From below 3/4 full of diesel there has been this rattling liguid noise whenever I accelerate, I mean it comes and goes but when it's in sports mode it is really noisy. I've had white smoke come from
Under bonnet today and burning smell since this rattling noise and definitely taking into MB tomorrow. I'm a bit unsure whether to keep it or not as I keep hearing this complain with the new A Class diesels and now the salesman tells me it is a common complaint. His solution was keep tank full or put radio on. After spending £30k on a car, I don't think this is acceptable.

Does this rattling noise when accelerating continue and is anyone noticing it is do with the tank not feeling full? Some advice would be great please

Zara

1 - 20 of 43 Posts