Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you fasten all three rear seatbelts it still comes on, but it clears itself without having to press any buttons after a few seconds if they are all fastened. So, still a bit irksome. Never had this with any previous cars - had a number of new cars over the last few years, most recent being a 2017 bmw and 2017 Hyundai. Also drove a 2018 c class recently and it didn’t have it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A warning that takes one button press to cancel shouldn't annoy me as much as it does. I'm going to look into obtaining dummy fastners to leave inserted. I know the message will still appear but might be less annoying if I don't have to cancel it. Maybe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wondered if I had some fault when this kept coming up. I thought they must be pressure sensitive and I must have it something on the backseat. Good to know it's not a fault at least

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same for me too.
Whilst it’s not a massive pain, can someone confirm whether there is a load sensor on rear seats or not.
Just seems silly that I get a message to fasten rear rear belts when there is no one in the rear of the car.

First time Mercedes and I got to say I am unimpressed!

As well as the rear seat belt issue.
Very rattly (going back to dealers this week to sort) bought an a class ex demo, just over 6 months old.
Now it’s telling me to add a litre of engine oil, only done 400 miles since I picked it up from dealer.
Had the infotainment system restart half a dozen times (in just over two weeks use) just after driving away.
Not convinced the braking assist is working correctly.
Mercedes me app (useless, can’t get it to do anything!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happens to me too. My car is in the dealership now due to this an other issues with my A200. Mercedes say the rear seatbelt warning even if no one is in the back is a feature! I completely disagree. I now have to ask rear seat passengers to fasten their seatbelt when they leave the car to ensure I don't get the warning when I drive away! I would expect a weight sensor that only triggers this alert when you have rear passengers.

Mercedes me app - agree - completely useless. Never connects which means I can't configure half of the features, so as yet can answer calls from my car but can't make them unless I dial out on my phone.

Stupid that you have to download all of your phone contacts to the car.

Lane assist triggers when I intentionally merge into a new lane or if the road markings have been recently changed causing me to brake unexpectedly which is scary and dangerous. You can turn this off - but have to do so every time you start the engine. Anyone know how to keep this setting?

It's automatic transmission but over revs making it sound like I'm killing the engine.

Can change the drive mode to ECO mode but have to but have to do so every time you start the engine. Anyone know how to keep this setting?

SatNav is terrible at roundabouts. It says 'Bear left in 100 yards' - when it should say 'take the 3rd exit' and the pictures don't help either as the orientation changes. Fine on small roundabouts but get onto a major road with more than 3 exits and don't expect any help! I've tried all of the different settings but can't get one that's usable in all instances. If anyone knows a good setting please let me know.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Happens to me too. My car is in the dealership now due to this an other issues with my A200. Mercedes say the rear seatbelt warning even if no one is in the back is a feature! I completely disagree. I now have to ask rear seat passengers to fasten their seatbelt when they leave the car to ensure I don't get the warning when I drive away! I would expect a weight sensor that only triggers this alert when you have rear passengers.

Mercedes me app - agree - completely useless. Never connects which means I can't configure half of the features, so as yet can answer calls from my car but can't make them unless I dial out on my phone.

Lane assist triggers when I intentionally merge into a new lane or if the road markings have been recently changed causing me to brake unexpectedly which is scary and dangerous. You can turn this off - but have to do so every time you start the engine. Anyone know how to keep this setting?

It's automatic transmission but over revs making it sound like I'm killing the engine.

Can change the drive mode to ECO mode but have to but have to do so every time you start the engine. Anyone know how to keep this setting?

SatNav is terrible at roundabouts. It says 'Bear left in 100 yards' - when it should say 'take the 3rd exit' and the pictures don't help either as the orientation changes. Fine on small roundabouts but get onto a major road with more than 3 exits and don't expect any help! I've tried all of the different settings but can't get one that's usable in all instances. If anyone knows a good setting please let me know.
OK, I am going to answer this step by step. Don't think any of the is meant in a bad way, it is just most of, if not all of this has been talked about on the forum, but ends up getting buried with new threads. It's annoying that this forum does not allow pinned topics to save the same things being mentioned.

1. The rear seatbelt warning a feature of most cars now, it is part of the safety rating and an easy thing for manufacturers to fit. As far as I know there are no weight sensors in the back seats, it just knows if the seatbelts are clicked or not. My old car had the same thing. I am old enough to remember when the Austin Maestro came out and it was the first car that told you to put your seat belt on, the trouble was the car came out in UK in 1982 but it was not law to wear a seatbelt until 1983. A lot of people complained but it stuck and now all cars have seatbelt warnings.

2. I don't know why you are having problems with the Mercedes Me app, it's not the greatest app that was built, but not the worse. Might be worth pressing the Mercedes Me button in the car and ensuring that it is all set up properly, they are very helpful. With regards to making calls out, this has nothing to do with Mercedes Me but is down to Bluetooth. It is a bit old tech now and has never been the most reliable, a bit flaky but it does normally work most times. It does seem strange that you can receive calls through it but can't dial out. I did have a problem where sometimes my phone would not connect, I would have to restart my phone while the ignition was on and it would work for a while, then a few days later not connect again. I tried to update the software but that made things worse as everytime I tried to use the bluetooth audio the phone would crash, this ended up being a problem with the Android version LG supply, not the phone or the car. The first problem seemed to be the phone as a new phone works fine.

3. All cars with bluetooth have to down load the contacts to the car, this is to save battery power on the phone by only transmitting when it needs to, without this not only would you have to have a continuous link to your phone in case you wanted to make a call from a contact, the car would have to keep checking your phone, the MBUX system needs to know all your contacts so it can know who you want to call straight away.

4. Lane assist is there as a safety feature. It is very aggressive and there is no way to turn it down. It has been talked about a lot on here with a lot of people, including myself sharing stories of near accidents when it goes off. The common solution is to ensure that you signal every time. The system looks at the road markings and has to make a decision of whether you are swaying out of lane or intentionally moving. The only way it can decide is with steering movement and turn signals, if you move out gradually as you would on a motorway, as you should do then it only has the turn signal. Most people who have been driving a while has the habit of looking behind, seeing that it is well clear and moving out, not signalling because there is nobody to worry about, but the car does not know that so it makes the wrong assumption. There is no way to turn it off all the time because it is a safety feature that may be needed. I am surprised that Mercedes even made an off button, but wish they had a turn down button.

5. The auto box does seem to over rev. I drove a GLC with a 9 speed auto and it was smooth as anything. I think the 7 speed it to compensate for the small engine. Have you tried in Sport, it gets to 100mph in 4th gear.

6. You can't set it to change to Eco everytime, but you can get it to ask you when you start the car. Go to your profile settings and you can change that in there. Think yourself lucky, when some of us got our cars you could not even keep the volume in the place you left it, or the screen on the page you left it. You have to reset them each time you got in the car. Hopefully Mercedes will produce an update that keeps it in Sport/Comfort/Eco for the next time you drive.

7. The satnav is quiet a wierd things, which is strange as it comes from Here maps that has been around for about 10 years. I've never had the problem that you have had, but I have had some strange roots. I have my satnav set in 3D mode with route up, I then put the nav page on my dials which shows me the actually turnings. I have the 10.5 inch media and the 7 inch console. Not knowing what size screens you have, I can't say whether they will work for you.

Stick with the car. I had a nightmare with my first. Picked it up in September and it went back 8 times, eventually even the dealership gave up and I got a replacement. Yes it has it quirks and things arnt 100% yet, but it is still early days. My first made me wish I went for something else, my second makes me glad I didn't. My last car had been round for a while and still had problems. And remember that help is just a forum away.

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
You can control this on your phone. Bluetooth Settings, un-tick "Sync Contacts".

I do this when I'm in a rental car as I don't want my data/contacts going anywhere near a rental car, but still want to make and receive calls via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi All,

I have started seeing a seatbelt warning when I switch on the ignition. I believe this is for the rear seats as they are coloured yellow on the display. there is no one sat in the rear seats. I have lower and raised the seats, pulled out and released the seat belts but still the warning shows. I can simply dismiss the warning or wait and after a few minutes of driving it goes away.

Anyone got any bright ideas what might be stuck?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi All,

I have started seeing a seatbelt warning when I switch on the ignition. I believe this is for the rear seats as they are coloured yellow on the display. there is no one sat in the rear seats. I have lower and raised the seats, pulled out and released the seat belts but still the warning shows. I can simply dismiss the warning or wait and after a few minutes of driving it goes away.

Does this on every new car mate, no way around it I dont think, required to show up as part of regulations.

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess you start noticing things that were always there after a while. I could have sworn it went away sooner after ignition on/driving.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi All,

As the others have said, totally normal, pity it is so large and lasts so long.
A quick prod of the steering wheel back button clears it.
What with that and my other quick prod of the "Eco Mode" switch I am at last getting used to a routine.
Wouldn't it be nice if you could have individual profile settings..................that lasted between trips.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I also had this problem but dont understand it. What regulation and what is the issue with this?!?
I expect no alarm if there is nobody on the back seats, why it shows me that warning and bips me?
I think it happened when I made a new profile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
I dont get it from your screenshot.
I am ok with the warning if someone is on that seat.

But if I am alone in the car, why is nagging me about the seat belt on the seats in the back of the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,007 Posts
:grin:

Also - there is no occupant detection in the rear of the A-Class. So the warning has to sound regardless.

·
Registered
431 Posts
So to get the top rating they could either have the expense of putting sensors and wiring under the back seats and in the seat belt clasps plus the software to display a warning if not plugged in or just display a reminder to the drive to check any passengers to belt up.
The failure of this approach is that the driver gets so used to "Not having Passengers" he will ignore the warning even when he has somebody in the back.
Mind you Mercedes have ticked the box and got the rating, so the fault lies with the people producing the NCAP requirements.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I get the seatbelt warning when I start up on my A200 AMG Premium plus and it has a cross on it which looks like you can touch it to make it go away but you can’t. Same with the reserve fuel warning. Is this a fault or is the main screen not a touch screen?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts