Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a neighbour hit my car (2018 W177 A250) whilst it was parked outside my house and has confessed to the incident. They cut too closely across the front of my vehicle when making a turn and seem to have prised the front bumper away somewhat. Part of the bumper near the wheel arch has completely come off and is a little dented, plus there are a few marks on the rest of it. Pics attached.

The neighbour has offered to pay for it all, so do I go to a repair shop or via my insurer? Vehicle is leased and due to be handed back at Xmas at the end of the 3 year cycle, so I'm keen to avoid any potential charges from not handling the matter correctly.

Any advice hugely appreciated, thank you.
20210607_072420.jpg
20210607_072429.jpg
20210607_072440.jpg
20210607_072446.jpg
20210607_072525.jpg
20210607_072529.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to my car! Long story short, go through insurance, and MB genuine repair.
I DIDN'T, and suffered the nightmare afterwards!

·
Registered
A200 Sport Premium
152 Posts
I concur with @Greenjacket
If your neighbour has fessed up then that need to claim on their insurance. Someone did very similar to mine while parked outside my house and fortunately they left a note, because what I originally thought was superficial turned out to require thousands of pounds of work. The wheel arch was slightly kinked, the headlight cluster scratched and the bumper was replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This repair could be a lot more expensive for damage which doesn't look too bad. Could you not get some estimates before deciding?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agree with the previous comments, neighbour across the road reversed into the front of mine. Insurance and MB approved repair. What originally looked minor damage was close on £2k.

They may initially want to pay, but looking at your damage, it will be expensive.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I agree with all of these comments. I'd be surprised if the bumper can be repaired which means it will need replacing and at MB prices that will be £1000's on its own so it will probably be better for your neighbour and yourself to do it through insurance

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar incident a few weeks back when my car was hit whilst parked after I had only had it a week. I would totally agree with going through your insurance, my company (LV) made the issue hassle free including the provision of a loan car whilst the work was being done.
I don’t know where you are, but R&R Autos in Basingstoke did a first class job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts