Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My mirror glass (passenger side) has shattered. I need to get a replacement, but don't want to pay dealer prices. I've seen some on Ebay for the C Class (W204) and E Class (W212):
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370528132759?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But I'm not sure ifeither of thoseare compatible with our W176's. Does anyone know the answer ? I've asked the seller already, but not yet had a response.

The mirror housings (body coloured part) are exactly the same part across the A,B,C and E class models, so I'm inclined to think the mirror glasses are also compatible, but not sure.

Also the glass fits in to themain bodywith a backing plate that has clips, so would need to ensure the backing plate is also the same across those models.

If anyone has acces to a part number checker, it should be easy to tell if the mirror glassisshared across those models. I'd be very grateful.

Ebay sellersare charging around £15. Not sure what the dealers are charging. Will ring around tomorrow.

Thanks.
Edited by: nuvolablue

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all. In answer to my own query (not sure that's how it should work) !! The glass mirror is not interchangeable with the C class or E class, but is interchangeable with new shape B Class. Apparently the mirrors may be the same shape, but the backing plates have a different clip configuration.
Price at the dealers is £32.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks for the useful info nuvolablue - I'm sure this is something several of us will have happen at some stageEdited by: mon2s

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem. Removing the glass lens is easy, but you need to exert a bit of brute force with your hands. Put mirror in the lowest position. Push the mirror in firmly with both thumbs towards the mirror body and with all your fingers of both hands (using even force) pull outwards on glassfrom the top side of the mirror. You shouldn't shatter it because the whole of the mirror (apart from the outer edge) is stuck on with 3M tape to the plastic backing plate. So as long as so pull on the plastic rather than the glass itshould pop out from the clips.
See also guide:

uploads/18/2010-12-27_155044_remove_install_mirror_glass.pdf
Edited by: nuvolablue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts