Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this restraint system malfunction pop up yesterday, recovery came out and reset it , apparently it a pirofuse that's faulty. It's now come up again and MB are telling me not to drive it as it'll invalidate my insurance if something goes wrong. Anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, had exactly the same message before Christmas. Mobilo came out but couldn’t fix it but said it was fine to drive. Took it into dealership and they said it was some sort of wiring loom fault but needed parts/tools from Germany so had to order them in. They cleared the message though so it didn’t come up any more. All got sorted in the end in January.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem, warning came up twice. The first time it was reset but the second time I refused to have it reset but checked out.Germany came back with a solution. Seems like the loom is abit tight to the sensor, loom was loosened. Hopefully this sorts out the problem.

·
Registered
447 Posts
About two months ago my dealer did some work on the loom, and the error message disappeared but it popped up again last week. Car is booked in with the dealer for Tuesday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue for me today. Second time it’s happened, but I don’t know if they just did a reset on that occasion.
I have to wait til tomorrow before I can book it in at the local MB Garage.

If the fix is different than the loom issue mentioned in previous posts I’ll post an update here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah had the same issue, mobilo got the car to the dealers (helpfulness of the dealer when I originally called them is another much longer story) , they (mobilo) gave a loan car for the few days the dealer had the car, dealer said the sensor was replaced, not had an issue since.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just came back from the dealer. Issue is known with Mercedes, and the fix is to reduce the tension between the loom and the connector. Time will tell if it worked.

Also had the climate system looked at, which decided to turn to full heating most mornings, regardless of the outside temperature. The software that controls the climate system was updated, and if this doesn’t work it will need a new control unit. They also found an error with the camera, which was also fixed with a software update (neither of which were the FU updates)

Interestingly, they also claimed both front tyres are down to 3mm. I need to check separately, because I find this hard to believe after 16,500 miles. All tyres I’ve had lasted at least 20,000 miles. Unless my driving style has changed, the car may be hard on the front tyres?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got this last week on Thursday (in Australia) in my 2019 A250... called the dealership and they'd have to keep it for a day. I asked about a courtesy car so it's being looked at this Friday... only problem is they recommend not to drive the car... well not really but they said in case of an accident, the airbag might not go off so avoid getting into a car accident. (!!!!!) What!? Hah!

I've looked through the car's menu (manual) and found some info. Notes that the airbag may be deployed at any time too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first time that the restraint malfunction warning appeared was in April after taking delivery of the car in January 2019. It is the A250. No-one could tell me exactly what the problem was but thought it was to do with the airbags. It went into the workshop in May and the cause was a wiring fault under the driver's seat which would have affected the airbags. A couple of weeks ago I had the same warning but this time they found nothing wrong! Hope this warning won't appear again as it is worrying on a new car where reliability has been paramount for Mercedes. However, I am not sure their customer service lives up to the brand's reputation!

jeanglynn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had this happen 4 times. First time wiring loom, second time control unit, third time drivers air bag and final time connection on another control unit. Seems to be sorted now albeit had another problem with noisy suspension. Dealership has been more than helpful. Not impressed with the number of faults with the car though and if I could would get rid but not economical to do so

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have just had this failure, which is annoying as this is the replacement car and I have already had the throttle problem.

I phoned my local Mercedes dealership who was well aware of the problem, he seemed to think their was a recall, but when he checked there was no recall on my number plate. He said he would book it in manually but could not get it booked in with a courtesy car for another month. I said that I refused to drive the car as it is because it is a safety issue and they said they could not do anything.

I decided to call my lease company and told them, they said they would get the RAC out and if it needed to go in for a repair, would hire me a car. The RAC came out and said that he had been to three new A-Classes in the last 3 days (that says something). He checked with their systems and had no info so called Mercedes Technical, who knew all about it. Being on speakerphone I got the whole conversation. It is a know problem but not a recall, from the way they was talking it is a common problem. The solution was to take off the carpet on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel, where there is a yellow plug. Once the computer is hooked up, the plug is disconnected and then reconnected. The fault is then cleared from the system. Whether this actually fixes the problem or is just a band aid until the next time I have no idea.

This is my first and last Mercedes.

·
Registered
447 Posts
He said he would book it in manually but could not get it booked in with a courtesy car for another month. I said that I refused to drive the car as it is because it is a safety issue and they said they could not do anything.
Try the Me button in the car if it happens again (which it might!) Say that you don’t feel safe driving it and they will bring a courtesy car to your house, and take your car to the nearest dealer.

When I took my car in when the fault happened for the second time, they actually adjusted the loom, rather then just clear the fault.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo101 View Post
He said he would book it in manually but could not get it booked in with a courtesy car for another month. I said that I refused to drive the car as it is because it is a safety issue and they said they could not do anything.

Try the Me button in the car if it happens again (which it might!) Say that you don’t feel safe driving it and they will bring a courtesy car to your house, and take your car to the nearest dealer.

When I took my car in when the fault happened for the second time, they actually adjusted the loom, rather then just clear the fault.

As said go to car hit the mercedes me button, it will take you through to mobilo (Mercedes brake down service) tell them you have this warning and that its a red icon on the dash.

When i had this issue (and had same response as you from the dealer "cant fit me in for a month") Mobilo straight away said, they will have a recovery truck to me within 1 hour and a courtesy car also delivered to me in just over an hour. They were going to take the car to the exact same dealership that i had been speaking to, as it was close i just dropped the car off there, told the service manager that mobilo said it was fine to do this and a courtesy car had been arrange. I got a taxi the short way home, en route had a call from the car hire company and 30 mins after getting home a Mercedes C Class was delivered.

I think if the customer calls the dealer it treated as a "Customer reported" fault and has no urgency with a dealer. However if its booked in by Mercedes breakdown themselves, the dealer has a different standard to adhere to (probably part of their dealership agreement) and they need to deal with the issue there and then.

The dealer had my car 2 days, when it was ready just drove the hire car to the dealers, dropped it off there and drove my car home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picked up my brand new a200 amg line one week ago and the restraint warning came on Sunday going in to dealers tomorrow surely Mb should know about this fault and new cars shouldn’t be getting this warning bit of a pain having a new car a week and needing to go into garage

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had no issues since I picked the car up in January, until today when the restraint malfunction message popped up. I used the Mercedes Me button in the car and it's been collected by the RAC, taken to the dealer and I'm just waiting for a hire car to be delivered.

The fault is annoying (particularly as it's a known issue but there's been no recall), but to be honest the service to get it sorted has so far been pretty impressive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After the restraint malfunction issue which was sorted out twice, I have another problem. When opening the car and putting my handbag on the backseat, closing that door and opening the driver's door the car has locked with my handbag inside. I was at a concert so not near my home and it was in the evening. Not the best way to end an evening! This is the second time it has happened and what I am now having to do is leave the driver's door open before closing the passenger door. If anyone else has experienced this problem could you let me know. I have now had the car for nearly 9 months!! It is currently at the service centre and they are trying to replicate the problem with no success. It may of course be the fault of the keyless function but a great worry if a child or pet is in the car when it locks!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had the fault 4 times now and I'm really getting bored of having to return the car every month or two.

The dealership were due to pick up the car this morning but for some reason they decided to book the car in without booking a courtesy vehicle, now I have to wait another week until it's sorted ?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts