Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

got the Rays TE37 19x8.5 ET45. is the rim and brake caliper clearance ok?
No contact or whatsoever when we rotated the rims
the mech said it was ok.

looking forward to hearing the thoughts of gurus and experts here....

Many thanks in advance

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Shoe
Wheel Tire Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That鈥檚 very close.
yeah that's what i thought...other than having the scary thought of a small stone getting between the caliper and the rims, i wonder if there will be other problems....like the brake caliper expanding from heat till it touches the rims....:eek:

Super Moderator
Please do post a few pictures of the wheels once the tyres are fitted.

Registered
I have gone that aggressive before, but just to make sure, see if you can slide a credit card through the tightest point, which should be right below the AMG lettering. If it does slide through, does it just drop or it takes a slight push? Mine took a slight push, nothing that would scratch the paint or anything, but certainly wouldn't just drop. A credit card is about a millimeter thick and if you feel no friction whatsoever, you have more than that. If it does take a slight push, it's exactly a millimeter. I had that for about two years with my big brake setup, never had a problem, however there are two things you should note, one of which being the caliper expanding from heat as you said. While that wouldn't be an issue in normal driving or even some aggressive street driving, if you track the car you're gonna have considerably higher temps. Still, I seriously doubt that that alone would be enough to cause problems. The other thing is wheel flexing, which takes hard cornering and where do you normally do that? At the track. By hard cornering I mean, really hard. I'm not sure how your wheels are gonna flex, because it might be different depending on the wheel, but they will flex. Now those two together, caliper heat and wheel flexing, I just wouldn't track the car. But normal driving and some 3am blasts, never had a problem. Little stones getting in there is a possibility, certainly, but I think I did more than 10k miles with that setup, and never noticed a single scratch, so I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds, like mad stone is gonna go straight for your caliper, unless I dunno, you drive on gravel roads often? You have a million stones dancing around your wheel at the same time, yeah, it could happen.

Nice wheels btw. Curious how copper and gray will mix, looking forward to more pics as @Forrester said.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have gone that aggressive before, but just to make sure, see if you can slide a credit card through the tightest point, which should be right below the AMG lettering. If it does slide through, does it just drop or it takes a slight push? Mine took a slight push, nothing that would scratch the paint or anything, but certainly wouldn't just drop. A credit card is about a millimeter thick and if you feel no friction whatsoever, you have more than that. If it does take a slight push, it's exactly a millimeter. I had that for about two years with my big brake setup, never had a problem, however there are two things you should note, one of which being the caliper expanding from heat as you said. While that wouldn't be an issue in normal driving or even some aggressive street driving, if you track the car you're gonna have considerably higher temps. Still, I seriously doubt that that alone would be enough to cause problems. The other thing is wheel flexing, which takes hard cornering and where do you normally do that? At the track. By hard cornering I mean, really hard. I'm not sure how your wheels are gonna flex, because it might be different depending on the wheel, but they will flex. Now those two together, caliper heat and wheel flexing, I just wouldn't track the car. But normal driving and some 3am blasts, never had a problem. Little stones getting in there is a possibility, certainly, but I think I did more than 10k miles with that setup, and never noticed a single scratch, so I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds, like mad stone is gonna go straight for your caliper, unless I dunno, you drive on gravel roads often? You have a million stones dancing around your wheel at the same time, yeah, it could happen.

Nice wheels btw. Curious how copper and gray will mix, looking forward to more pics as @Forrester said.
thanks Theo! its really great to hear your experience! makes me feel so much more assured. :)

the thing is, I'm intending to use this set of rims for track. the stock rims will still be my daily. so i was wondering if i should get some hub centric spacers to let me sleep a little better before i head to the tracks.... if yes, am i right to also say that i should be getting longer wheel bolts as well? I'm thinking a 5mm should do the job. any gurus here can shed some light on this?

thanks in advance!

Registered
Sure. Yes I wouldn't track the car with that clearance, so definitely get spacers and yes you're gonna need longer bolts. I always had the impression that hub centric ones start at 10mm, with the exception of Racingline's Hub Adaptors as they call them, that are essentially spacers although not classified as such, and they mechanically mount onto the front face of the disc for a perfect fit, these are 5mm. Little different than actual spacers and much better to be honest, at least judging from how they mount, but I don't think you can use them without their brake kits. Anyways, why wouldn't you try a 10mm, are you lowered?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure. Yes I wouldn't track the car with that clearance, so definitely get spacers and yes you're gonna need longer bolts. I always had the impression that hub centric ones start at 10mm, with the exception of Racingline's Hub Adaptors as they call them, that are essentially spacers although not classified as such, and they mechanically mount onto the front face of the disc for a perfect fit, these are 5mm. Little different than actual spacers and much better to be honest, at least judging from how they mount, but I don't think you can use them without their brake kits. Anyways, why wouldn't you try a 10mm, are you lowered?
I'm not lowered. i was worried that with a +45 offset and 10mm spacers, it makes the overall offset a +35. and from what i'm told by some, to keep the offset to not less than +40.

that said, i went ahead to get some 10mm hub centric spacers with longer bolts. cos i agree with you that i shouldn't be tracking my car with that super aggressive clearance

Registered
I was planning on fitting 10mm hub centric spacers too, only for the looks, after a couple of members posted pics and the car looks stunning, even more than it already is. I was worried about fender rubbing but nobody has reported anything, on the stock suspension of course. The reason I changed my mind was that I just didn't want to affect the car's geometry in any way, but in your case, yeah I can see no option other than fitting those spacers. Btw you're gonna have pretty much the stock wheel clearance, I'm talking about the forged "Y" shape wheel option, which should be about 10mm. Please do report how the car handles though. Needless to say you should take it slow first, see how it handles and then push a little harder each time. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was planning on fitting 10mm hub centric spacers too, only for the looks, after a couple of members posted pics and the car looks stunning, even more than it already is. I was worried about fender rubbing but nobody has reported anything, on the stock suspension of course. The reason I changed my mind was that I just didn't want to affect the car's geometry in any way, but in your case, yeah I can see no option other than fitting those spacers. Btw you're gonna have pretty much the stock wheel clearance, I'm talking about the forged "Y" shape wheel option, which should be about 10mm. Please do report how the car handles though. Needless to say you should take it slow first, see how it handles and then push a little harder each time. (y)
noted Theo! great advice from you as always! will post some pics and update you all once i make it back from the track day. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi all,

as promised, pics of the car with the rims....looks weird at the start but it's starting to grow on me. :)
well, it's for track and i won't be driving around in these on a daily basis.

It will be perfect if the TE37s came in gun metal grey for my wheel specs.... but too bad...oh well hahaha!

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud Sky

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Cloud

Wheel Sky Tire Vehicle Car

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hi Theo,

In the end, i tracked the car with only 10mm hub centric spacers in front. the spacers in the rear kinda caused some rubbing during hard cornering while driving on the streets and so i took them off before i headed to track.

In track mode, the car was uber responsive and the turn in during corners were great! honestly, there wasn't much body roll at all. Previously, i drove a Mitsubishi Evo 9 MR RS with Nitron R3 coilovers for 5 years and when i compare the experience between the 2, i will say that the A45s AMG on the hardest suspension setting seems to be perfect. not too hard (allowing the car to not skip over undulations) and still stiff enough to adequately give you confidence to accelerate and punch through bends, turns and hairpins. the Nitron R3s were excellent was well and served their purpose but those racing coilovers are really more suited for the track than the streets where most of us spend most of our time. Well, that's just my butt feel and i understand that this can be subjective so to each its own...

only worry at the back of my mind was whether the stock brake hoses were able to take the boiling temperatures from all that high speed hard braking during the long straights where the car reached about 215Km/h (about 133mph), (track temp was about 41 degree celcius or 105 deg Fahrenheit, weather was sunny, cloudless and about 35 degrees or 95 deg fah...welcome to this part of the earth where it's summer throughout the year). Surprisingly, and happy to report, having used a 5W40 engine oil, the oil temp was about 104 degrees Celcius (219 deg fah) and water temperature was about 100 degrees celcius (212 deg Fah)....all this was 1 warm up lap + 3 hot laps + 1 warm down. cooling for the car is really pretty good....must be the new tech...(my Evo ran 2 oil cooler and a huge intercooler but doing the same 1 warm up + 3 hot laps + 1 warm down brought my 10W50 oil temp to 130 deg cel (266 deg Fah) and water to 98 deg cel (206 deg fah)

all in all, I'm very satisfied with the car! totally surprised me at how well it handled around corners; how the power delivery is wonderful on corner exits...and since it's my first time tracking this car, i decided not to push it as i still needed it to bring me home (333km journey across the border). hence, i merely gave it like 60% - 70% of what i'll normally do and save the rest for another track day.

i've ordered some proline stainless steel braided brake hose and hopefully adding that to my car can bring down my nuts from my chest back to where it's supposed to be when i brake...or perhaps it's just me as i haven't had the chance to track for the last 3 years due to the pandemic....****, I've already paid for those brake hoses....oh well...

Registered
Sorry to hear about your rubbing issues. I take it you had no problems tracking the car with that caliper clearance then?
What I can't get enough of our cars, aside from how well they handle, is how ridiculously rear biased they are. Think AMG really nailed that one.

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hear about your rubbing issues. I take it you had no problems tracking the car with that caliper clearance then?
What I can't get enough of our cars, aside from how well they handle, is how ridiculously rear biased they are. Think AMG really nailed that one.
I still tracked with spacers in the front. Didn鈥檛 want to risk tracking the car with such minimal clearance. Overall, the car handled superb!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts