Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi fellas!

I picked up my new A45S and I was told by the dealer that there's no such thing required with new AMG cars as they are done in the factory. But I'm babying it regardless of what the dealer said!
So my question is, is it fine to drive in Manual Mode with proper downshifting? What about driving in S+/R MODE without going over 4k rpm?
Also, does anyone think it can sound better after run-in period?

IMG_20200320_184331.jpg

·
Registered
367 Posts
Who was the dealer as they should know better, there should have been a window sticker with run in procedure

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Yeah as everyone has said. Definitely needs running in. Your dealer should know a lot better than he seems to.

My last A45 sound improved hugely after run in and even more a few thousand miles on. The A45s and the previous A45 sounds a lot better in S+ but I am trying not to go there with just under 400 miles to go. I note the fake inside cabin noise auto activates on S.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Couldn’t the dealer have done something better with the front plate?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Yes because of our European sound reduction rules. You guys probably just have the full fat AMG exhaust.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes because of our European sound reduction rules. You guys probably just have the full fat AMG exhaust.
I don't think we do!
It's a lot quieter than my previous 2018 A45. I remember reading somewhere AMG is not interested in making different exhaust system for other markets.
Mine does come with AMG exhaust but it's very subtle though. It also has Exhaust On/off switch which opens the valve but honestly, it's useless, and No AMG Performace Sound on my car.
I don't think I can stand synthetic sound inside the cabin.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I agree at present the piped sound is just noise. It’s not at all tuneful.

·
Super Moderator
1,522 Posts
I’m believe the sound isn’t fake just amplified slightly from the original source inside the cabin.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Yes sorry I didn’t mean fake. Piped sound. It’s not yet tuneful as was the case with the last A45 until quite a few miles on past running in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does the AMG Performance Sound (piped sound) work in conjunction with the exhaust on/off onboard switch?
I believe its optional equipment in the Aus market.

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
It will more than likely be a ported resonant system, connected to the intake system. Similar to Porsche’s exhaust system.

Speaking to CarAdvice at the launch of the new cars, head of product planning for AMG compact cars, Bastian Bogenschutz, explained the difficulties posed by the new regulations.

“The regulations were getting pretty difficult for the sound to just come from the exhaust system,” Bogenschutz told CarAdvice.

“So we added the AMG pure performance sound, there we take the real sound from the exhaust system, the pulsation of the real sound and move it inside the car. It works together with the exhaust system.”

See previous thread on this:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts