Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of interest, how many have run their new cars in?

The manual says to do so for the first 1500km (900 miles) and I must admit that I always do with a new car - I always set out with the intention of keeping the car long term and figure if I bed the engine in correctly it will be better in the long run.

I know there is a school of thought that these days you don't need to.

I'm getting close to 900 miles now and look forward to a bit of spirited driving in the near future!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm currently running-in a rented A180 CDI from Avis whilst I await my A45 AMG build slot. The A180 was delivered with 97 miles on it and I'm being a good soul treating the engine with care and often taking it to 3K RPM before changing as per the manual's suggestion.

Running in is still prudent for tyres and brakes even if the mechanical engine benefits are fewer nowadays due to improved manufacturing standards. Personally, I always recommend running in a new engine - I want to be stuck with my car for a long time and the added piece of mind that I've given it the best start in life will return benefits and help me look the MB garage in the eye if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I took it easy for first 1000 miles, checking the oil, varying speeds and avoiding harsh acceleration. The manual advises it. It's got to be a good thing and soon passes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts