Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
W177 A35 Sun Yellow Prem Plus w/ Aero Kit, Driving Assist, HUD, AMG Ride Control. Prev. W177 A200
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I bought a 68 reg A200 from Mercedes Cardiff a few months back. It was a proper bargain given its approved used, although I now see why given the dire state it was in upon collection. I'll reserve that for another thread where I expose some awful Mercedes dealerships. However one thing which I decided to overlook at the time was how rusty the callipers are. Wanted to know if this is common on these? Anyone else got really rusty callipers despite only being a 2year old car?

I'm thinking to get them refurbished and had a quote of ~£280 from AlloyFix Romford. I'm not too experienced on this so is that a good price? Anyone recommend any other good places around London to have this done?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey guys. I bought a 68 reg A200 from Mercedes Cardiff a few months back. It was a proper bargain given its approved used, although I now see why given the dire state it was in upon collection. I'll reserve that for another thread where I expose some awful Mercedes dealerships. However one thing which I decided to overlook at the time was how rusty the callipers are. Wanted to know if this is common on these? Anyone else got really rusty callipers despite only being a 2year old car?

I'm thinking to get them refurbished and had a quote of ~£280 from AlloyFix Romford. I'm not too experienced on this so is that a good price? Anyone recommend any other good places around London to have this done?
got the same car, the calipers are fine but the discs gets rust spotted if not driven for 2 days.

·
Administrator
4,792 Posts
All iron components are susceptible to rust, the question is do you have excessive rust, because the car has been parked in the open by the seaside, for example.

As long as the brake pistons are free to move and work, then the rust is more of a cosmetic issue rather than affecting the performance. You can always paint them.

See this related thread:

·
Registered
W177 A35 Sun Yellow Prem Plus w/ Aero Kit, Driving Assist, HUD, AMG Ride Control. Prev. W177 A200
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the state of them. It’s not that I’m worried about braking performance. Just looks hideous on such a new car so will look to have them refurbed like factory ideally.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just replaced my A200 and it was 68 plate, and the calipers looked like new! not sure what that cars been through.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just replaced my A200 and it was 68 plate, and the calipers looked like new! not sure what that cars been through.
Ah **** that’s crazy. Tbh I bought this from Mercedes Cardiff and the car was in awful condition. It was an approved used bargain so I jumped at it, pointed out some other issues upon collection and the sales person told me to go home and get a refund if it’s an issue. 4 months later I’ve only just got approval from them to have my local dealer sort a few cosmetic issues. I’ll be making a thread soon about some really bad customer service at a few dealers soon.

Anyways, hoping to get them refurbed in the coming month or so and will finally have the car in perfect condition. Would be very interesting to hear how an A35 is to upgrade to from a200. Been toying with the idea but considering holding out longer for something bigger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys,
I’ve had the same problem with my calipers on W177😡 Mercedes refused dealing with them. I have to do it on my own. Can anything be done with them?

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I've tried calliper paint on other cars. It looks good for a couple years but then peels off.
On my other MBs I had slight caliper rusting. Its wasn't noticed by anyone else other than me and had no performance impact. I haven't noticed any rusting or peeling on my A45s with the red paint so I would second getting a good quality paint job as a way to prevent rust and peeling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts