Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've had the car for 2 weeks now and been taking it easy (relatively speaking... for me). I have tried out the S Mode a couple of times- and it does make a real difference as the E Mode is quite low revving isn't it?

I use S mode from time to time and I have suspected that it didn't work occasionally but just thought it might be me- the S displays but nothing else happens. Today I had a proper play and found the the S Mode now doesn't work at all... it displays "S". I am assuming that you can select this at any time and at any speed. Has anyone had any problems with this, I would be interested to know before I chat to the dealer.

Obviouslyit will work the moment the MB mechanic takes a look!

Thanks

Edited by: SteveD

·
Registered
629 Posts
Mine is quite noticeable when put in Sport mode. The most noticeable effect is that it holds the gears to much higher revs in each gear.

Personally I don't much like it so I'm either in E mode or in manual for fun.

Defo sounds like you've got a problem there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It must be an incredibly easy snippet of software to simply turn it into Sports performance just by delaying the change up of a gear, or like mine... just to display an "S"!

will see what MB say at the weekend.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Like mon says, in S mode, it definitely holds a much higher rev, 4k ++ - 8k max.If yours is staying similar to E even after you changed to S mode then there is definitely something wrong there. E mode stays in relative 1k++ -3k rpm.

Any update from MB dealer?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the car to the dealer on my way home from work but in this instance they were a bit busy so decided to come back at the weekend. Wellwouldn'tyou know it started to work on the way back home.Anyway, I saw one of the dealer chaps on Saturday and is now booked in (I have to wait 2 weeks)- the mechanic is initially going to come out on a test drive with me. There seems no pattern to it, it just doesn't work at all now, which is good really at least they will believe me. So will update when this is fixed.

Yesterday I heard a graunch (is that a word?) when the drivers doors was opened- I was washing it again! There is a plastic panel inside the front wing by the door that must have come away from its fixing and the edge of the door caught it and now its all bent- was my car made on a Friday afternoon? On a similar subject (of workmanship), I read on another post that someone had a rubber seal around the window not seatedcorrectly- Ialso</span>had exactly this. It went back in place easy enough but I must say some of the workmanship is a bit poor in places.... still loving it though...</span>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,no more news at the moment apart from 'S' now not working at all- which is how I want to be when it goes in for repair Wednesdaymorning. I had to wait 2weeks becausethey said</span>that's when the diagnostics equipment was free- or do you think they was hoping the problem would go away! ... but as long as its fixed I'll be happy.</span>

</span>
In the meantime when I want go faster I have been using manual mode actuated by the paddles which gives me the same thing anyway... maybe better?</span>

·
Registered
373 Posts
Manual mode all the way!! When is it going in then? Its nearly 2 weeks now isn't it? Hopefully its something very simple, software re-load etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do use it more and more and I really love the manual mode, but there is an annoying half second delay before it actually does anything, which can sometimes catch you out. Takes some getting used to....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,</span>

My car goes in for investigation of the ""˜S' mode not working
tomorrow. During the 2 weeks I have had to wait, there is now a bit of a list:

1, ""˜S' mode not working

2, The radio (audio 20) packed up on Monday while out and I drove
straight to the MB garage. The message on the screen said ""˜Anti Theft
protection activated""¦' . No one at the garage had ""˜ever seen this before' they
said. It hasnow</span></span>since started working- has anyone else had this?</span>

3, The plastic guard behind the front wing has popped out
and the door is catching on it when it opens and closes.

These last 2 items may not be a problem as such, but might
be me not understanding what they are or mean!

4, The red distance warning triangle occasionally quickly flashes
twice with a double bleep. At first I thought it was whenever I passed an
obelisk in the road or when I was turning when there was an object in front- but
now I'm convinced it's quite random or does it detect moths!. Does anyone else get this?

5, There is a warning display that comes up with 3
greyed-out people sitting on the back seat. This comes up every time I start
off. It's seems to be telling me that there is someone sitting in the back but haven't
put their seatbelt on. Is it normal that this display comes on regardless of any one sitting
on the back seat or is the sensor under the seat permanently activated?

The chaps at MB don't appear to know. They also said that
there have been no reported problems such as mine and I am an isolated
case- that didn't make me feel any better about it!

Hopefully will find out more by end of day tomorrow... I wonder what loan car I will get?

Steve

·
Registered
147 Posts
Number 5 is normal. I don't think, the back seat has sensors. It only alarms if someone takes his/hers seatbelt off. The grey chaps are there just to remind you, no one is wearing a belt in the back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Steve D....the 3 greyed out 'people sitting on the back seat' is normal, I am pretty sure it has been mentioned somewhere in this forum. I think its a system check. My red triangle beeps at a couple of particular places for me, and I have got used to it, on a road where there is a slight curve and an island in the centre of the road it beeps if I approach it a bit quick, and it did it the other day when someone was a bit slow in doing a right turn in front of me. Good luck with MB, I have to book mine in for what I thought was a window glass rattle on passenger door, not sure where noise/rattle coming from....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi to anyone still following this thread, my car went in for
some diagnostics. The mechanic came out for a test drive with me so I could
demonstrate the gearbox problem. Sure enough the Sport mode still did not work. We
tried all sorts of combinations of fast, slow, acceleration, Kick down (which I
have never used before)- still no joy. Strangely on the way back the Sport mode
started to work- and what a difference!. Anyway he was now convinced there was
something wrong.</span>

They gave me a huge E class on loan while they had the car
for a few hours. Anyways, cutting a long story short they updated the software
on the gearbox, clutches and something call adaptation software and all seems
to be ok now. Long gone are the days when a mechanic got a spanner out!

Be aware that because the car is such a new model, the
technicians (my local MB) don't seem to know an awful lot about how the cars
behave yet. He said he had a drive of a pre-production model, had some training
but that was it- they have had no cars in the workshop to work on so far.

I also had a software update on the radar system to stop the
spurious bleeps, and another update on the audio 20 system to stop the
anti-theft protection activating""¦. so it seems there are lots of SW updates out
there already.

Might be of interest""¦.I asked about slight rattle/grind noise
when accelerating hard and he said that the engine (which is the Mercedes one)
was originally built to fit a rear wheel drive car but was adapted for front
wheel drive and they are indeed noisier because of this!

Anyway, all is well now

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.. the saga of my gearbox S mode problem continues..... I had the car back with the S mode now working a treat (though whether I would use it much remains to be seen). The next day on my way to work on an open road I pressed the E-S-M button to select S and.... nothing. Oh bother or words to that effect or worse.... Anyway it got me thinking, what did I do when the mechanic came out for a test drive. Trying too establish a pattern where it would work, I decided to try a kick-down. The car roared off and what do you know, Sport mode started to work... all day. The next morning the same thing , not working- until the next kick down! I seem to have hit on something here methinks.

Am I going nuts or should Sport Mode work without doing a kick-down first? answers on a postcard!

On a positive note, my mpg bar graph now shows the correct values (it used to top out at 50mpg) so the SW upgrades they did must have fixed something.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hmmm ... lets see what other folk come back with??
Come on guys lets give a man a hand here lol .... Think Steve needs to know if S Mode only works once you've kicked down once? Or work as soon as you've hit the button even if you're actually driving like a granny??

Im away for a long weekend tomorrow but will give it play when im back steve.

·
Registered
111 Posts
SteveD,

I was playing around with the 'S' yesterday and it felt as though it was not doing anything. I tried to start off with 'S' and see at what point it changes gear which was 2000 revs. When in Eco it changed gears at 2000 revs so I thought either my 'S' is not working or its due to the fact I didnt press the pedal all the way down.

Whilst driving in Eco I then tried to switch between 'S' but it didnt increase the revs stayed the same.
Now I know on my dads E class as soon as you put it in sports the revs definitely go higher.

So I kept switching between ECO and sport but nothing until.... When in Eco as I was switching to Sport I took my foot off the pedal and noticed the DCT has switched into a lower gear and when I put my foot down the sports definitely kicked in..

Now I dont know if this needs to be looked at or if there is a certain way the sports works...

I will try and test this again

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe there's something weird going on with the current auto gearbox software version? They are definitely fiddling around with the settings at MB as the latest update made my accelerator feel more responsive (manual A180).

·
Registered
60 Posts
On my 250 engAMG (Auto). As soon as i hit S my revs go up to 6000 ish when putting my foot down.

You can get it to change up earlier by backing off the accelarator. Also the exhaust note changes and i get some nice popping when changing down.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love sport mode on my Benz. Love the blips it dose on down shifts ;)

Different car on eco to sport modes

1 - 20 of 46 Posts