Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is Satellite map?
I assume it is like Google Earth!
I have it selected under navigation settings advanced.
There is a note about which zoom scales,
Are there any other settings I need ? like 3D.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Waste of time

What is Satellite map?
I assume it is like Google Earth!
I have it selected under navigation settings advanced.
There is a note about which zoom scales,
Are there any other settings I need ? like 3D.
OK so I just zoomed out to 2 miles (Not the 2km is say s in the handbook) and the background takes on a mottled look.
What a waste of time, at that scale you cannot make out any features.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You’ll notice when you’re using it on city streets, all the buildings are shown 3D when it zooms in. It’s very good

·
Registered
108 Posts
You’ll notice when you’re using it on city streets, all the buildings are shown 3D when it zooms in. It’s very good
Sattelite textures do not work when you are zoomed in close enough to see 3D buildings; in 3D setting these are shown regardless of whether satellite view is activated or not. You can only see the satellite textures when zoomed back, as per Ben & Sandys post. I agree - total waste of time.
Incidentally if you zoom far back enough to see the whole planet you get to see some orbiting satellites as well. Also useless but quite funny.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well I think the Sat Nav is great, the best integrated one I’ve used
I agree, the 10" screen, animation and resolution is excellent. It takes me on some much smaller roads than my old BMW satnav would, even in Fast route setting, and I love the 3D city views. Only gripe I have is storing favourite locations and not being able to name them sensibly for later use.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The sat nav is worse than the one I had on my Focus ST, it can't even recognise large roundabouts properly which leads to it telling you to simply 'Turn left' rather than telling you which exit, can cause drama if you don't pay close attention to the map too

·
Registered
475 Posts
The satnav is extremely accurate, once you learn how it works. It gives you the literal instruction to turn left on 400yards or whatever. If you look at your map you will see your route around the roundabout, and the 400 yards until you turn left is accurate. So if you look as well as listen, you'll be fine.

The fact that you can set your destination on the move, without fuss or drama, makes it the best system I've had without anything else. Add in the extreme accuracy of what3words, and it is way in advance of anything else.

Which isn't to say either that it is immune to the occasional failure in the logic - as every system is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The sat nav is worse than the one I had on my Focus ST, it can't even recognise large roundabouts properly which leads to it telling you to simply 'Turn left' rather than telling you which exit, can cause drama if you don't pay close attention to the map too
Mine always tells me on approach to roundabouts; "take the third exit..." well not just the third exit you know, the exit corresponding to the road you need to take. Sometimes the first exit, :smile_big:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I do really like the satnav, but how it deals with large roundabouts is ridiculous. It won’t recognise it as a roundabout and will just tell you to “take a slight left”, regardless of what exit it is. Specially if you’re coming of a motorway - at speed - the map won’t show the roundabout yet, and with multiple lanes to choose from, I have found myself often having to change lane at very late notice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The satnav is extremely accurate, once you learn how it works. It gives you the literal instruction to turn left on 400yards or whatever. If you look at your map you will see your route around the roundabout, and the 400 yards until you turn left is accurate. So if you look as well as listen, you'll be fine.

The fact that you can set your destination on the move, without fuss or drama, makes it the best system I've had without anything else. Add in the extreme accuracy of what3words, and it is way in advance of anything else.

Which isn't to say either that it is immune to the occasional failure in the logic - as every system is.
Except other manufacturers sat nav deal with large roundabouts much better, so I don't see why it's still an issue for Merc!

It's reasonably important to know as you approach a big roundabout what exit you're taking, having to look closely as well as listen isn't always as easy as you make it sound and has on a few occasions left me in the totally wrong lane - e.g. when you approach one and it says 'turn left' but you need to be in the right hand lane!

Saying 'in 400 yards turn left' is a far inferior instruction than 'take the 4th exit' with a quick symbol showing if that 4th exit is straight on, 3 quarters of way round etc.

I do love the voice control although that's far from perfect too...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the satnav trying to take me off the motorway up the slip road & roundabout only to rejoin the same motorway again, a couple of times now, one near M1/M62 leeds area and the other going up the M6 north of Stafford.
I can't say I've noticed the issues on large roundabouts yet, on smaller ones I get clear messages about which turning to take.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also hate the slight left or slight right option its either right or left lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is a fault with all Sat Navs I’ve had to occasionally send you off a motorway only to rejoin it at the same junction

Never worked out why, you just have to hope it’s in an area where you have a vague idea of where you’re going

But with the regular updates and live traffic it’s very good

Only annoying thing is that on my regular route on the A69 Dual w eastbound, it insists that the speed limit is 60

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've never had a system that didn't occasionally do something stupid (including my BMW). I don't think you can use that as a criterion to judge a satnav - unless it does it a lot of course.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here in Sydney I just experienced this funky routing as well.

It told me to exit M7, then turn around, and rejoin M7 in the opposite direction. I had to pay both ways, since by the time I realized that it's pointing me back to M7 it's too late. I guess when I set "allow toll roads", it assumes I'm quite happy to pay my way through the nose in toll.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It is a fault with all Sat Navs I’ve had to occasionally send you off a motorway only to rejoin it at the same junction

Never worked out why, you just have to hope it’s in an area where you have a vague idea of where you’re going

But with the regular updates and live traffic it’s very good

Only annoying thing is that on my regular route on the A69 Dual w eastbound, it insists that the speed limit is 60
Its because you have it set to the fastest route or shortest route. It thinks a few seconds and a millimetre shorter trip is what you want. Think Mercedes need to rethink the tolerances.

·
Registered
68 Posts
any advice for me, i never had any problem with the satnav, only that recently i realized that i have not from the 1st day the live traffic information. All the other services work like a charm but not the Live Traffic. I saw it on a friends A class and got me thinking as why i dont have this

·
Registered
63 Posts
any advice for me, i never had any problem with the satnav, only that recently i realized that i have not from the 1st day the live traffic information. All the other services work like a charm but not the Live Traffic. I saw it on a friends A class and got me thinking as why i dont have this
Here in Australia you need to turn on TMC, which is a standard for traffic data broadcasting using regular radio waves (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel). In the main screen, "TMC" would be displayed somewhere on the map view.

Try to fiddle around in the settings menu and see if you can turn TMC on. If you have TMC on but still don't have traffic info, it may be that the service is not available in your area. Note that usually it takes some time for the map to show traffic information, since the bandwidth is not that great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts