Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure everyones heard about it. Ive had a call about my order of the a45s due to the semi conductor shortage my car will be missing some functions (seatbelt tensioning) not sure on other functions missing as yet until i meet with dealer to discuss saturday.
They are offering a further $540 discount to "cover" the missing functions. I just dont know about waiting 5 more months for a $100k+ car missing functions. Is anybody else in similar position. Considering cancelling my order or searching the second hand market instead.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
If the missing functions are safety related, then the car is “invalid” as its is not sold as homologated, insurance companies will have a right to refuse insurance etc.

·
Registered
2021 A45s in mountain grey.
63 Posts
If this is true it would affect the entire MB range and many other manufacturers as it’s a common electrical part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Certainly is, many manufactures are cutting hours on production and cutting production of cars not as sought after to prioritise other lines as well. Focusing more on the fleet vehicles utes and suv's.
They are claiming what they can produce without it will still reach 5 star ancap rating.
I think i will pull the pin personally. Its unfortunate after months of research i had my heart set on the a45s but not willing to just take whatever i can get for the sake of having it when buying. I'll keep an eye on current private market to purchase or put on the backburner until they get back to normal production.
Or look to other avenues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The feature affected by this part shortage is the optional pre-safe feature (0299) that, in the UK at least, was part of the Driver Assistance Pack. It is the motorised seatbelts that tension themselves when you get into the vehicle, as well as in anticipation of a collision - it doesn't affect the standard seatbelt systems.

The standard seatbelt systems that are on most vehicles are not affected - this feature wasn't on vehicles used in the euroncap tests in Europe at least, so imagine it could be the same over there.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
It's a real shame if you are having to pull the order after waiting so long.

Are you sure MB are doing this. As @veeeight has alluded to it would affect homogenisation. I have seen @Duggy83 comment but wonder if this feature was standard in Australia and they have now downgraded it.

About buying second hand these cars seem like gold dust so you may pay as much as one which is brand new, if not more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is this shortage world wide ? Is so it’s going to be another delay to my car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, it's worldwide unfortunately. But the built of my car, delayed only for one week because of this. So, may be they solved the problem?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, it's worldwide unfortunately. But the built of my car, delayed only for one week because of this. So, may be they solved the problem?
Let’s hope so fingers crossed 🤞🏻 only been waiting for 7 months.

·
Registered
60 Posts

My order is going to be delayed for about 3 more months because of the blind spot mirror package.
I was supposed to be getting it in March, now it is late June.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ordering system is closed? Is there a chance changing it an not to include this feature?

·
Registered
60 Posts
No it was my choice to leave it in. The dealer asked me if I want to include this package or not. The original delivery date would be unchanged if I took it out.
But I wanted it in...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there!I think we are in same boat.Just received this sad news from Dealer. I am now concerning to cancel the order…While, I think there will be a penalty on the cancellation right?Or is that possible to waive the penalty? Thanks a lot
Im sure everyones heard about it. Ive had a call about my order of the a45s due to the semi conductor shortage my car will be missing some functions (seatbelt tensioning) not sure on other functions missing as yet until i meet with dealer to discuss saturday.
They are offering a further $540 discount to "cover" the missing functions. I just dont know about waiting 5 more months for a $100k+ car missing functions. Is anybody else in similar position. Considering cancelling my order or searching the second hand market instead.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Hi there!I think we are in same boat.Just received this sad news from Dealer. I am now concerning to cancel the order…While, I think there will be a penalty on the cancellation right?Or is that possible to waive the penalty? Thanks a lot
If you're not getting the car you contracted for then you should be able to cancel without penalty.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Semiconductor shortages will be affecting VW (and no doubt M-B along with all other car manufacturers) right through to the summer.

Volkswagen chief executive Herbert Diess this week said the company’s production outlook for the entire year “is a little bit unclear due to the weather conditions in the United States”.

The carmaker is already expected to produce 100,000 fewer cars for the first quarter due to chip-related stoppages, and was unlikely to recover the sales even if the various bottlenecks unblocked by the summer, he warned.

“For the entire year, it’s not possible to say what the situation will be.”

Speaking at a JPMorgan conference on Monday, Edward Breen, chief executive of US chemical company DuPont, said most of the supply disruptions would probably be resolved by the end of the second quarter.

“Auto production might be down about 1m units during this period of time here,” Breen said. “Clearly, there are shipping logistics issues, especially out on the West Coast.”

The shortage of raw materials complicates a global supply crunch caused by the Covid-19 pandemic as the world’s largest carmakers and consumer electronics manufacturers jostle for semiconductor parts to address a rebound in car demand as well as a lockdown boom in tablets, gaming devices and laptops.

The power outages in Texas also forced some chipmakers in the state offline, including Samsung Electronics’ multibillion-dollar fabrication plant in Austin. This week, the South Korean group said it would require more time to resume operations to normal levels.

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
I was reading the Toyota story earlier and it's just a real eye opener how global, supply chains are. We also always think China dominates but actually the US is a huge supplier of so many components for the car and drugs industry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts