Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have been 'alarmed' 馃ぃ a few times when my proximity sensors have go off when there is nothing near me. Typically this would be when I am turning right off a major road, positioned in the road correctly, indicators on, car approaching from opposite direction, allow car to pass but as I start to turn right the proximity alarm sounds and stays on despite there being no hazard, the passing car is long gone.

This doesn't happen often and I thought it might just be me but #AmgWales has just commented on another thread that he has something very similar. Does anyone else recognise this 'feature' :rolleyes:

Registered
Im having same. I have exact spot in my underground garage where my sensor goes crazy (red). There is a bicycle racks couple meters away from my parking spot, whenever i pass by, my sensors go mad, even though there is a massive gap between my car and racks...lol. Also happened several times exactly like you explained on the road. Turning right after a car long gone.. :D

Registered
I encountered this on EVERY car I owned with sensors. My Golf 7 and 7,5 did it once a month randomly, my Opel did it almost daily randomly.
Sometimes you know it鈥檚 because a waterdrop is one the sensor, a piece of dust or a pedestrian.
But it鈥檚 just very sensitive technology. Of course they shouldn鈥檛 all go off at the same time multiple times a day.
But to be honest, I鈥檇 rather have it a little over sensitive than not.

Registered
MB A250 4M W177
Sensitive parking sensor can be little off by disabling in options, it should be on Car and the something option like parking sensor early warning? ( something like that )

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
What I'm experiencing is not over sensitive sensors, I don't think they are really, if I'm stationary and a bike passed me the sensor alarm goes off briefly but that's not a problem.

As described above if turning right the alarm seems to lock on for 10 seconds or so, it's very disconcerting when you are trying to undertake a manoeuvre.

Registered
MB A250 4M W177
Go Settings->Assist->Camera and Parking->Warn earlier on surroundings ( or something like that, but if translated from PL to ENG incorrectly it is first option )
It turns off too much sensitive sensors

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Go Settings->Assist->Camera and Parking->Warn earlier on surroundings ( or something like that, but if translated from PL to ENG incorrectly it is first option )
It turns off too much sensitive sensors
Yes I realise I turn them off, but I like things to work correctly

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
nothing to worry about.
Except that it may cause you to start your manoeuvre and then stop to appraise yourself of the false hazard leaving you marooned in the middle of the road. All very momentary but could cause an accident when it's designed to avoid them.

I agree it is probably just software but in my opinion it's about time MB started to acknowledged the bugs they have in their MBUX and publish a roadmap to resolve them rather than just ignoring them. If they did that there would be far fewer criticisms.

Registered
A200
Same problem with my a200. Sensors working with 8-10 seconds delay. If I understood correctly the alarm is on when you turn your steer wheel towards to nearby object even if you have already passed it. Strange and really scary thing

Super Moderator
This was a problem with the previous A45 and is a problem, but less of one, on the current models. The disconcerting part is when you have pulled in between cars to let a car on the other side pass and the warning goes off as you are pulling back out. But I think we will largely get used to it but hopefully not ignore it when we should heed the warning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
This was a problem with the previous A45 and is a problem, but less of one, on the current models. The disconcerting part is when you have pulled in between cars to let a car on the other side pass and the warning goes off as you are pulling back out. But I think we will largely get used to it but hopefully not ignore it when we should heed the warning.
In that case I'm really surprised that they haven't got rid of the problem.

I find it super distracting as the natural instinct when you hear a warning like this is stop and check what has caused it, indeed this must be the intention of the warning. It effects me most when turning off a main road into the side road where I live, if I wait for a car to pass from the opposite direction and manoeuvre as it passes sometimes the alarm goes off as the car goes behind me and worse still stays on for a few seconds. If I happen to be turning in a gap between two cars this get quite worrying because even now I'm quite likely to brake and check my surroundings momentarily which is just enough to distract me and the oncoming car. Fortunately this is a 30mph limit and just causes my red face rather than a being dangerous.

MB told me, and like many things they have told me with great certainty may be wrong, that the reason for the car behaving like this is that the sensors are programmed to expect that a hazard will either be stationary with the car moving or the car stationary and the hazard moving. When the car and the hazard are moving it confuses the system and sets off the alarm, in their view this is a very rare event so they haven't sorted it out.

Now I have driven dozens of cars with proximity sensors and none of them react this way so it is very disappointing to hear the W176 A Class had this 'fault' and it has migrated to the W177 without resolution.

Registered
A200
today I have got a really loud BEEP from rear sensors and activated rear camera when I have already passed another car. I think I will get a heart attack soon with this Mercedes safety options :D

Registered
My parking sensors sometimes misbehave when the car is dirty but less so when it's clean.

Registered
The parking is a beep nightmare and even when you have a lot of space to the other cars or walls... not very happy with that

Registered
I have similar issues. The main culprit imo is that the signal is delayed when on the move. If I pass close to a wall it will sound after I'm already passed it. Very confusing.

Did anyone get this resolved? Is there perhaps an update they do the system?

Registered
What does turning off 鈥渨arn early all round鈥 do? Does it reduce the occurrences?
The way it is described in the manual it just changes the trigger point of the front and side sensors. With the setting enabled it warns from 1.0m and 0.6m front and sides respectively. I haven't tested it in detail tbh, but the delay is there in both settings.

Another example is when I'm waiting at the lights and a motorcycle drives past me. The sensors go off 10sec after the event, by which time the motorcycle is long gone.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
As my dealer had unsuccessfully tried several times to fix this I wrote to the CEO's office and was told the following:

" Next, you mentioned the proximity alarm sounding when turning right off of a main road, and I understand that this is only when a car has just passed on the right hand side of you. Funnily enough, this is a manoeuvre that I have to make regularly in my C-Class, and experience the same thing.

I鈥檝e discussed this with our Technical Support team here at head office, just to make sure that I wasn鈥檛 doing something wrong, and they were able to explain why this happens.

The radar sensors on the front of your car will pick up the other car approaching on the right-hand side, and when you go to turn before the car has 鈥榗leared鈥 the rear sensors, the car will sound the warning tone because it鈥檚 had an 鈥榠mplausible鈥 reading from the sensors.

This is a general warning, and is designed to make the driver aware that they need to visually check their surroundings."

Personally I think this is BS and it is a fault that needs fixing as it is distinctly distracting but it is clear that MB will not be looking into it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts