Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting pretty fed up of my A class already and I am seriously thinking of going back to the GLA.

I was doing 60mph on the road and the sensors came on beeped then the brake engaged there wasn't even a car in front of me which gave us all a huge scare, then in town yesterday again it engaged the brakes with no car in front. I am serioulsy losing faith and safety of this car.

Anyone know of any urgent updates for the senors?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think I have experienced the same kind of thing. I complained to the dealer the day I drove it off the lot. I originally thought it made a huge crunch in the gearbox like it was mixed up the gears as the noise was a loud crunch sound and it slowed the car down. I was in a normal road without crossing lines. It did it again 5 minutes just as I was accelerating onto the freeway. I was stressing that I had done damage to the gearbox. I sent it back to the dealer as I had some issues with the mbux and asked them to see what the go was. After i got it back later that day I heard the crunch again but was in a better position to notice the noise. It seems like it's the abs engaging a wheel thinking I have crossed a line with lane departure or emergency braking thinking I am about to hit something. (don't know exactly) I have since turned the sensitivity right down on everything and haven't had it happen again. The dealer did admit the sensors on the new a class are sensitive and reacts harshly. Maybe give it a go. Apart from that and using oil which I hope will stop eventually, I love my a class.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can confirm that that this is the case. Was driving home today and car slammed on the brakes hard for about a second without warning. Scared the s#&t out of me. I had a chance to see that it was most likely reacting to a flat manhole cover that are in the middle of the roads over here. I think they need to do some updates soon so it doesn't freak out and think it's something to hit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve had the same. A few times on the highway going between 100-120km/h...not fun.
Yesterday I was coming up to a speed bump at 10km/h and the sensors all lit up and the car came to a stop. If it happens again I’ll definitely book it in at the dealer. Only 5 months old.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had the same. Just last Sunday the brakes were applied sharply with no vehicle in sight. Quite a fright for my passenger. It cannot be right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hoping someone from Merc is actually reading these forums and taking in our problems and opinions good and bad

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can you not just adjust the settings so that the presense, don't know what mercedes actually call it, is less sensitive. I am sure there is one in there somewhere. I expect any dealership will state the system is working as it should..

·
Registered
83 Posts
i dont have problems with colision prevent system, it warned me once with loud beeping, rightfully because a car braked suddenly in front of me. But lane departure system is annoying, in some narrow backroads, sometimes it engages.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you can put collision assist sensitivity to low/proximity, but cant turn it off
Which is what I was saying. It seems to me that some owners of any manufacturers vehicles have issues with the automated systems. There are a number of Audi owners who bitch and complain yet I have the same system and don't have any issues. I can only deduce it is either a difference in driving styles that cause the automated systems to kick in or they are set at a too sensitive setting....

·
Registered
169 Posts
The problem with the active lane assist is that it can't be switched off. It's quite a good feature if you are tired & driving on a motorway (which of course you should not do 😂) as it tries to keep you in lane if you drift a bit. BUT, as it is activated when you cross a solid white line without indicating, there are just so many instances when it kicks in at the wrong time that it is an unnecessary distraction. On a road near me there is a bus lane on the right that merges close to a junction, the natural path for cars at this point is to clip this line which sets the lane assist off, today I passed a bus stop which also kicked the lane assist off.

I have written to MB but just been told it can't be switched off but in some countries this can be done. I'm pretty unhappy about it myself

·
Registered
38 Posts
I doubt it would be driving style that would be the culprit. Just idling down a street and it slams on the brakes wouldn't be any different to anyone else's driving. Could different cars be more sensitive to conditions? Definitely a maybe. Like others have said it can't be turned off and I am pretty sure it changes the setting back to normal as sson as you turn the car off even if you have turned it down. I'm sure that MB will eventually have some sort of update for this problem to maybe not make it as sensitive. Until then I'm just accepting that every now and then I need to s*%t myself. 😝

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe I have to review the positive judgment on Brake Assist ... today in a strangely empty stretch of road in the city, without any vehicle pedestrian motorcycle bicycle in front, 4-lane road separated by a center line / sidewalk, while I proceeded at about 50 km / h the car nailed, signaling my car with a flashing red arrow on the display. I assure you that the only thing he could have seen was a fly if he saw something. The assist system was set to "soon", now I set it to "medium" but I'm caressing the idea of turning it off at every start if you have to play these jokes. What if they hit me? luckily the car that followed was at a safe distance, but he still thought I was crazy.
And in any case, I have found that the system does not "assist", but actually brakes

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts