Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I ordered an A Class A220 back at the start on July and was expecting it early October and delay after delay after delay, so i’m still sitting here with no car. So my spec with an A220 every option because I love technology, but after hearing about my car still being in a german port 1 month after i’ve had enough. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE the A class but the delays are stupid and my spec was about £35k and i’m think I could get something better for the money, so I am looking at E class coupes. If the E class had MBUX I would have chose that first. The E class will be 2nd hand and most likely a D engine.

So do you think I should cancel my order for an E Class coupe 2nd hand?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If its making your life difficult and costing you money for your travels then yes. If not then ill make dealers life miserable ring everyday and wait it out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I guess I could, iv just listed a few things below

Pros E Class
.Looks much better
.Feels more worth the money
.Comfier
.360 cameras
.Cheaper to buy
.Feels more sporty

Pros A Class
.Use to driving hatchbacks
.MBUX
.MB adaptive cruise
.AUG Nav
.Its a new car

·
Registered
380 Posts
Negatives for an E-class is that it will be (much) more expensive to tax, insure and maintain. I have heard of friends paying up to £800 for a B service, which I’m imagining is why they are relatively cheap second hand. And once the warranty period runs out, repairs on an E class could be expensive. Even with a Diesel engine I bet it is less economic than an a-class, they are heavy cars.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Delays are part and parcel of new car buying these days, I'm afraid. I waited five months for a BMW. German cars in particular, thanks to VW, are subject to suspicion. Also, manufacturers don't over-produce like they used to, so buyers either take stock ordered by the dealer, or they have to make a bespoke order and wait for a build slot. I wouldn't assume that starting afresh will get you a car quicker, unless it has already been built.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You know my situation.

I actually cancelled my order and then ordered a BMW. Then without warning my car arrived at the dealers.

I would call Mercedes Customer Service, don't email, call and question them on it. They will then chase the dealer. Then you call the dealer and ask. Then you send an email to following addresses (
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]).

Just. Hound. Them.

I think the E Class is too big but there is one on my street and it looks **** nice in blue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Negatives for an E-class is that it will be (much) more expensive to tax, insure and maintain. I have heard of friends paying up to £800 for a B service, which I’m imagining is why they are relatively cheap second hand. And once the warranty period runs out, repairs on an E class could be expensive. Even with a Diesel engine I bet it is less economic than an a-class, they are heavy cars.
Insurance isn’t too much more and the tax is the same. But the servicing could be a big problem along with if anything breaks. Thanks i’ll consider that

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know my situation.

I actually cancelled my order and then ordered a BMW. Then without warning my car arrived at the dealers.

I would call Mercedes Customer Service, don't email, call and question them on it. They will then chase the dealer. Then you call the dealer and ask. Then you send an email to following addresses (
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]).

Just. Hound. Them.

I think the E Class is too big but there is one on my street and it looks **** nice in blue.
Yes the size of the E class could be an issue for me as iv only driven small hatchbacks, smaller than then the A Class like a Fiesta, so an E class is a big jump.

Thank you for the info I’ll try contact them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Delays are part and parcel of new car buying these days, I'm afraid. I waited five months for a BMW. German cars in particular, thanks to VW, are subject to suspicion. Also, manufacturers don't over-produce like they used to, so buyers either take stock ordered by the dealer, or they have to make a bespoke order and wait for a build slot. I wouldn't assume that starting afresh will get you a car quicker, unless it has already been built.
I know delays are part of the process but it’s most likely going to be 7-8 months for a hatchback. That’s not reasonable at all

·
Registered
26 Posts
I waited nearly 6 months for mine. And I'm so glad I did, despite my old BMW having a service and having a handbrake failure repair that it wouldn't have needed doing by me if the Mercedes arrived sooner.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update to this forum, it still hasn’t arrived (7 and a half months later) and the new plate is coming out soon, I have been given a number plate but it doesn’t seem to be registered yet. Do you think it will be possible for them to hold the car until the 20 plate?

Mostly likely won’t come this week with a possibility of next week or the week after.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Quick update to this forum, it still hasn’t arrived (7 and a half months later) and the new plate is coming out soon, I have been given a number plate but it doesn’t seem to be registered yet. Do you think it will be possible for them to hold the car until the 20 plate?

Mostly likely won’t come this week with a possibility of next week or the week after.
Should absolutely be possible for the dealer to hold the car for 4-6 weeks and register on 1st March for a 20 plate. Given the extended wait you've had to endure, I think this is the least they could do for you if that's what you want. The dealer will be reluctant to have the car sitting there, but I think you could firmly ask them to hold off and register for a 20 plate, especially when you had hoped to have a new 69 plate when you first placed your order

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Should absolutely be possible for the dealer to hold the car for 4-6 weeks and register on 1st March for a 20 plate. Given the extended wait you've had to endure, I think this is the least they could do for you if that's what you want. The dealer will be reluctant to have the car sitting there, but I think you could firmly ask them to hold off and register for a 20 plate, especially when you had hoped to have a new 69 plate when you first placed your order
Cool thanks i’ll ask them now, just wanted to make sure it wasn’t an unreasonable demand first. But tbh at this rate, it might naturally come in March anyway 😂😂

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's odd how dealers vary. I chose a new CLA220 as I liked the old model, had gone to look at an A Class but preferred the look of the new CLA, also rarer than an A Class. Picked a spec, AMG Line premium plus, picked a colour, mountain grey, dealer did a group stock check. New unregistered car at Tonbridge. Had it brought to Brighton, picked a registration number. Waited a week or so for 69 reg to be road legal. Done deal !!
As an aside if your car has a list value of 40K or more you will be liable for bigger RFL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts