Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I know some of you are wondering on how to do the sidesplurts (the middle of a sideskirt) with plastidip, because there's no clear cutting zone and its on a very awkward angle to mask. Well I've done it, and I'll be blunt. You HAVE to compromise. What do i mean by this? i mean you have to hurt it a little so you can have a clear cutting. I'll show you.

First of all obviously clean your area speckless so the plastidip will stick properly.

Second grab some masking tape and go ahead and very gently and precisely mask it against the "crease" of between the splurts and the skirts. Look below.

Third, cover the remaining area that you don't want to get sprayed with some more tapes, or plastic bag/newspaper. (basically anything that won't go through, see below)

Fourth, spray the plastidip nice and even so you don't get any speckles (also don't breath this stuff in, it's pretty deadly) See picture.

Now all this is normal plastidip procedure, until now. This is where the art of precision comes in. Grab a stanley knife or a cutter, and just apply "gently" (so you don't scratch your paint over the dip, this is what i mean by compromise, the likelihood of you stanley-ing your actual paint is quite high, even with a sculptress hand. But the good news is, it's on the crease anyway and no one and i mean no one will even KNOW of your 0.01inch cut, given you gave in too much pressure and cut through your base paint.) Make sure you get sufficient light when doing this fine process, otherwise you might cut INTO or NOT enough.

When you're done with the above, the challenge is not yet done. Once you're confident you've covered stanley-ing the crease area, rip the masking tape slowly but firmly at a constant high forward-high angle. It should give you a nice cut, and well done.

I unfortunately screwed up, around the corner of the splurts is a REALLY difficult place to cut, make sure you double check you've gone throught it, otherwise you'll be repeating my mistake. Some my my dip is missing on the corner left of my splurts. I was so pissed for the whole day for screwing that up, but then again, i'd have to get over it sometime. I hope this helps! Have fun! (if you look closely at the picture below around the corner of the splurts is where i've made my mistake, not chiseling it hard enough, and the rubber sticks on and destroyed some of the part of the paint.
)

Overall I think i did a pretty good job.. 98% job perfection
, but a good job nevertheless. Also, I've only done the left side of the car because i ran out of paint..,
none of the autopros have it at the moment, and my right side is all ready and taped up around the splurts, i guess i'll have to drive limp for the next couple of days until the stock does come in... haha

Last but not least... Plastidip BLACK, with GLOSSIFIER, will turn to "satin" gloss at best. It will not achieve solid paint gloss (crystal gloss) Also it turns the color to a lesser black, a more "Deep Anthracite Grey" sort of color, which in my case, still sort works. In the day it's dark anthricite, and at night it looks black, so it works for me. Just a heads up! Ok ciao!

Edited by: Loevess

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have heard if you peel the masking tape off while its wet it doesnt peel off the plastidip with it and it leaves a clean line

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tommy yeah, that method is also available. But your coating will be alot thinner and the color won't look as solid. I like it nice and thick so i can sleep well at night knowing it's durable and strong.

Thanks! Yeah i think i've done me best... the rest just cross your fingers i guess... goodluck with yours !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts