Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so impressed I have just managed to drive a 20 mile route in some deep snow in my a250 engineered that over the years none of my other mercs could touch. For a powerful auto with big wheels I'm amazed . I know it's front wheel drive and the others were all rear but I didn t think it would be this good, for once I felt like I was in control and driving the car and not the other way round!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Excellent news, this is the main reason I want to get rid of my 1 series.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was getting fed up of rear wheel drive got home in this ..... Took a while but worked !

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would take a very special rear wheel drive car to entice me to buy one. I've owned those Rover SD1 models many years ago, and on the odd occasions here of snow, wasn't able to get out of my local road. Following on with front drive cars made all the difference in grip, I've sworn to never buy a rear drive car again. This rules out most of the Mercedes, and all the BMWs! But we have the new A-Class!<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

With a front/rear weight split as close as 60/40 typical in cars, this means there's 50% more traction from the front wheels than the rear and that will make a lot of difference. Also, the front wheels get first the bite of new or frozen snow which is grippier than the rear which has the rolled down and compacted surface from the front wheels!

With a determined and careful approach, essential progress can often be made.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote myself from another thread:

Be smart; get a set of winter tyres and enjoy winter motoring to the fullest!!

The Swedish Guy said:
<div ="msg">
Winter tyres comes in 3 main groups;

Central European winter tyres:
Tyres made for typical mid-european winter, a few days of snow then rain etc etc
Focus is on performance in sludge and on wet tramac.
Pretty decent on snow, not that great on ice
Speedclassed often 200+
Examples; Conti TS850 or Sava Eskimo HP among others

Nordic winter tyres:

Tyres made for Scandinavia and Russia where you have snow and sub zero in 3 months
Softer rubber compound to keep soft in -25C
very good on snow , pretty OK on ice
not that good on wet tarmac often "wobbly" due to the soft rubber compound.
Examples:Michelin X-ice X13, Nokian Hakka R, BF G-force
Even dangerous in summer temperatures due to poor handling then

Studded</span> winter tyres:
Tyres often preferred in Scandinavia
Studs gives excellent ice grip, good snow grip ( but some nordic ones are better!!)
Better on wet tarmac then Nordic but noicey
examples: Conti Icecontact,Nokian Nordman 4, michelin X-ice north 2

Myself I choose the compromise with mid-European tyres due to the climate in the Malmö area

In Sweden studded</span>
tyres are allowed 1/10-16/3 and winter tyres ( M+S marked and INTENDED
for winter) are MANDTORY 1/12-31/3 if there are winter condition ( also
applies to people from other countries)

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
even winter tyres won't make my 1 series go in this weather, ive resorted to using my dads 2012 jeep grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Weather related pic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts