Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Bren said:
I think this is the correct space saver but don't think it's going fit in the boot space?
I'm pretty sure it won't fit under the boot floor - the handbook section on changing a wheel appears to show it "somehow" fitted against the backs of the rear seats. There may be fittings for mounting it there in models produced for the markets where a spare is included - e.g. not the UK.

I have bought one but haven't tried it yet, too much other stuff to be shifted around in my boot at present as I prepare to move - but I bought it a) so I didn't forget to source one (again) and, b) for when I have moved and most of my mileage will be on the often rough Lake District back roads.

Edited by: chrism

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Chrism don't think I'll bother! don't fancy a wheel taking up all the boot space, got run flats on at the mo, but plan to change them, probably end up getting a can of Jallop.
Cheers

·
Registered
984 Posts
</span>Are you aware that provided your car is serviced by MB, even out of warranty you qualify for free roadside assistance and twice now I've had punctures fixed at work within 45 mins of calling, fantastic service but I don't know what'll happen if tyre is trashed. </span>So for first time ever I no longer carry a spare, although I have one at home just in case.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that ALS No never knew that, took out a three year service plan when I bought he car.so that's really usefull to know cheersEdited by: Bren

·
Registered
391 Posts
ALS391 said:
...</span> but I don't know what'll happen if tyre is trashed.
Presumably they would replace it, but it would be chargeable?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Bren that jack and wheel is a good price jack alone is £60 from MB. not sure if your wheel space is smaller than mine, i have a B-CLASS ive been told to take the box which holds compressor and sealant out, and space saver will fit after trimming abit off plastic.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diameter on my car is way to small for a space saver, going put normal tyres on it when I have worn my run flats out.
So I'll need to get a jack and other bits and bobs. So it might be worth buying the space saver wheel just for the other bits that are provided with the kit.
Cheers for your advice swift
Edited by: Bren

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good day Bren,
Did you purchase the Mercedes 'minispare', or did you find something else that actually fits into the wheel well space?

I recently purchased a so called 'compatible' space saver which turned out to be from the old A class (W169), so returned it to the supplier. While it did fit the wheel hub OK (same PCD) it was 10 cms too large in diameter to get into the wheel well with the boot liner removed. It was more of a space eater than space saver.

Interested to hear your results, if any.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I asked my dealer about one and they said we don't make one
And told me if I brought one off eBay it would void the warranty
If I put it on the car that was from a snotty nosed up his own arse service adviser

·
Registered
8 Posts
After a couple of months research and trial (plus errors) I found a
solution that the 'reknowned' vehicle engineering firm could only
provide with their £330 'space-eater' wheel sitting in the luggage area.
My solution gets the wheel/tyre into the wheel well (YES !) after a
minor modification to the boot floor locking tab.

Find a C-Class W204 spacesaver (from fleabay for about £70). This is the Merc part no.<b style="mso-bidi-font-weight:normal">2094000402</span>[/b] with tyre T125/90 R16 99M on a </span>3.50Bx16H2
ET17 steel rim. It fits on the W176 wheel hubs correctly, but not into
the wheel well. Purchase a T115/70 Continental tyre (at
"www.camskill.co.uk") priced at £48.83, including VAT and delivery, and
take it to your tyre shop. Change the 125/90 for the 115/70 for £10
(sell the 'old' 125/90 tyre on fleabay). Special Note: Stud hole
diameters are 12mm on older Mercs, and 14mm on all current vehicles. Be
careful and use "www.wheel-size.com" to confirm; ask your supplier for
the stud diameter size before buying.

The compressor/gunk kit needs to be removed and stored away in your garage/shed/attic. You may need to keep the towing hook in the car, depending on the jack/lug wrench solution you can find.

The floor locking mechanism
hook (attached to handle) needs to be cut away, as it prevents to boot
floor sitting flat when the new wheel is in place. The hook is metal
filled plastic, and takes an effort with a decent small hacksaw. In
addition, the rear plastic cover over the boot entrance needs to be
removed (three bolts) and cut away where the hook locking mechanism
latches.

This allows the 115/70 spacesaver to slide all the way
to the back of the boot and into the well. It's a tight fit, but the
wheel well lining does not have to be removed. The boot floor can be
held down with the two lashing D-rings at the rear of the boot. Finally,
buy a W204 jack & lug wrench (about £70) on fleabay. Most are contained in a plastic case which drops into the spacesaver, and probably will include the towing hook.

Hopefully the spare will not be used - but peace of mind - finally!
</span>
Edited by: LimaTango

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone be so kind as to link me to a suitable space saver on ebay for the above , if I search for c class w204 it comes up with a different med part number to the one given above ie. 2094000402 its comming up as a w209 ?
anyone else done the above mod share any photos. any advice much appreciatted guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts