Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
I have the Advance Nav and TSA which means as far as I am aware, that the system uses the limit read from signs when it has them, or map data when it does not.
Correct and this is why you have correct speed symbols, those of us with just SLA do not 馃槶

Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
...satnav based systems can display the correct speed all the time...
I鈥檓 not sure that is true. Satnav based systems don鈥檛 normally take into account temporary changes like roadworks which camera based systems are much better at

Super Moderator
My TSA works very well too :p

In time, someone will come up with an activation hack for the W177

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
That鈥檚 sounds like it鈥檚 behaving like it鈥檚 supposed to.

Map based speed limits, overridden by camera recognition = TSA.

What you have (I think) is SLA - where if there is no roadside speed sign, it won鈥檛 display anything, as it doesn鈥檛 use the map database, just the camera recognition.

There鈥檚 a couple of posts on mbclub saying how SLA has picked up the 50 on the rear of a lorry mistakenly. And another saying how clever the SLA is because it knows to ignore the signs that are only meant for HGV鈥檚! So as far as they are concerned, SLA for them works perfectly!
I'm sorry this is not correct. NCAP Speed Assist testing mandates that the correct speed limit is shown at all times not just when a sign has been past.

Not only that MB say that where there isn't a sign SLA uses AI to give a speed symbol, trouble is it just doesn't

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure that is true. Satnav based systems don鈥檛 normally take into account temporary changes like roadworks which camera based systems are much better at
True, but still displayed the limit far more often (well constantly compared to about 30% of the time it seems) than my mercedes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
My car also thinks that all national speed signs mean 70 as well... that's one thing that's clearly not right,
Which is really odd as mostly gives no speed icon after the national speed sign, this might mean that we are all experiencing different errors

Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
Of course, I鈥檓 old enough to remember when you had to use your eyes to look for the speed limit. I remember being asked by my instructor on several occasions what the current speed limit was - no 鈥榓ssist鈥 in those days

Registered
MB A250 4M W177
What I don鈥檛 understand, is why there are not more people (on this forum, or a Facebook group for example) complaining that their SLA isn鈥檛 working correctly?
I got SLA and my showing signs are as macd showing incorrectly many times. Sometimes it shows 140kph on road where it is 50kph with left+right buildings crossroad

Registered
Which is really odd as mostly gives no speed icon after the national speed sign, this might mean that we are all experiencing different errors
That is odd. I have been on 3 roads today with national speed limit signs (all single carriageway, but one turns dual carriageway for a mile or so before going back to single) and it def displays 70mph after the sign but after a few minutes of no signs on the road I get no speed displayed anyway.

Wish I could activate TSA as an option now as that seems to actually work well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
This is the video I sent to Mercedes CEO Gary Savage, I'm posting it here as it might be of interest to some as it could help those who are experiencing errors with their SLA to see that they are not alone and it might also help those who have TSA to understand just how frustrating SLA errors are for those of us who did not understand that we needed to specify the Advanced Navigation pack when we bought our cars if we wanted SLA to work correctly :rolleyes:

The video shows an edited version of a one hour drive in and around my home town. It shows 20 instances where Speed Limit Assist shows the wrong speed icon, this means that Speed Limit Assist shows the wrong speed icon on average every 3 minutes and for at least 25% of the drive.

The video lasts 14 minutes but if you just want to skip to any specific error this might help you

1​
00:20​
De-restriction sign not recognised despite being very visible
2​
00:50​
30mph icon in 50mph limit
3​
01:30​
70mph icon in 30mph limit
4​
02:55​
No Speed Icon in 30mph Limit
5​
03:25​
70mph icon disappears on motorway
6​
04:45​
70mph icon disappears at junction M32/M4
7​
05:00​
No speed icon on M4
8​
05:55​
70mph icon returns for no apparent reason
9​
06:10​
40mph icon disappears at traffic lights and stays off
10​
07:25​
70mph icon in 40mph limit
11​
08:10​
30mph icon with arrow
12​
08:55​
40mph icon on motorway
13​
10:15​
Doesn't respond to temp de-restriction sign
14​
10:40​
De-restriction icon not 60mph
15​
10:53​
70mph icon on 3 lane road
16​
11:17​
Incorrect 70mph speed icon disappears for 2 seconds
17​
11:55​
70mph icon does not change to 60mph when dual carriageway ends
18​
12:40​
50mph icon disappears
19​
13:10​
40mph icon disappears
20​
13:57​
30mph icon disappears

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Currently I am of the opinion that Speed Limit Assist problems effect all cars that do not have the Traffic Sign Assist feature but if this is not the case it would be useful to know this.

So if any of you who do NOT have the Advanced Navigation pack or Traffic Sign Assist, ie just the basic Speed Limit Assist, do not recognise any of the instanced in my video and always have the correct speed icon on the dash please let me know and provide the year, month and model of you car and if possible some idea of the software versions, ie FU1 and map version, as this will help me build up a picture of how wide spread this problem actually is.

Registered
This is the video I sent to Mercedes CEO Gary Savage, I'm posting it here as it might be of interest to some as it could help those who are experiencing errors with their SLA to see that they are not alone and it might also help those who have TSA to understand just how frustrating SLA errors are for those of us who did not understand that we needed to specify the Advanced Navigation pack when we bought our cars if we wanted SLA to work correctly :rolleyes:

The video shows an edited version of a one hour drive in and around my home town. It shows 20 instances where Speed Limit Assist shows the wrong speed icon, this means that Speed Limit Assist shows the wrong speed icon on average every 3 minutes and for at least 25% of the drive.

The video lasts 14 minutes but if you just want to skip to any specific error this might help you

1​
00:20​
De-restriction sign not recognised despite being very visible
2​
00:50​
30mph icon in 50mph limit
3​
01:30​
70mph icon in 30mph limit
4​
02:55​
No Speed Icon in 30mph Limit
5​
03:25​
70mph icon disappears on motorway
6​
04:45​
70mph icon disappears at junction M32/M4
7​
05:00​
No speed icon on M4
8​
05:55​
70mph icon returns for no apparent reason
9​
06:10​
40mph icon disappears at traffic lights and stays off
10​
07:25​
70mph icon in 40mph limit
11​
08:10​
30mph icon with arrow
12​
08:55​
40mph icon on motorway
13​
10:15​
Doesn't respond to temp de-restriction sign
14​
10:40​
De-restriction icon not 60mph
15​
10:53​
70mph icon on 3 lane road
16​
11:17​
Incorrect 70mph speed icon disappears for 2 seconds
17​
11:55​
70mph icon does not change to 60mph when dual carriageway ends
18​
12:40​
50mph icon disappears
19​
13:10​
40mph icon disappears
20​
13:57​
30mph icon disappears
Hard to keep track of whats been said before (don;t have time to go through all the threads at the moment.) but I have my car going in on the 18th August. I mentioned that the speed disappears from my dash like in your video. I was told that shouldn't happen and there should always be a speed displayed even with SLA which clearly isn't happening so he thinks there is a fault. not sure if the person I spoke to was getting it confused with the Traffic sign assist or if it is actually supposed to be displayed all the time but clearly we aren't getting that.
I am having a similar experience to you looking at your video except mine doesn't seem as bad. it seems to recognise signs correctly for the most part (except national speed limit) , just doesn't display them for long. it seems to think single carriageway national speed limts are 70 mph, motorway near me (M4) doesn't get a speed limit at all.
mine is a 2020 (built in Feb) Amg line premium on FUP 2 no idea what map version at the moment.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Of course, I鈥檓 old enough to remember when you had to use your eyes to look for the speed limit. I remember being asked by my instructor on several occasions what the current speed limit was - no 鈥榓ssist鈥 in those days
And RAC & AA patrol men stood by the side of the road & saluted you if there was a speed check ahead 馃懘 馃槺 馃ぃ

21 - 36 of 36 Posts