Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while in Essex there was a large plastic recycling bag, which had become light after being emptied, and had blown on to the middle of the road. A white van in front of me blocked my view of it until I was less than half a second away from it. So, I quickly thought driving so that it went down the centre of the car might be best for my car and the bin bag.

Straight after I turned the stereo off as I was suspicious, I had picked the bag up under the car. And sure enough it was there stuck towards the front right side. I asked my wife who was with me to stand on the bag so that I could drive forward and dislodge it. But it wasn't coming off. I then tried reverse and the P for parking brake came on, and I tried disengaging it, but it wouldn't turn off. I tried driving the car forward and back but it wouldn't move at all.

I had visions of calling MB roadside assistance out over this. But I went and gave the bag another try, yanking it out and it came out this time, and everything in the car went back to normal with the parking brake off and my being able to drive the car.

Anyone know what sensor I might have had triggered by the recycling bag. Should I take it to MB to have checked.

Font Sleeve Line Material property Aqua

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
Very strange. The only sensor I can think of that might have upset it is the ABS sensor, was the bag anywhere near the front driveshaft?

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it was stuck somewhere around the right front wheel 😧

·
Registered
433 Posts
Did you have the drivers door open and your seat belt undone?

This is the case if one of the following conditions is also fulfilled:
  • The engine is switched off.
  • The seat belt tongue is not inserted in the seat belt buckle of the driver's seat and the driver's door is opened.
  • There is a system malfunction.
  • The power supply is insufficient.
  • The vehicle is stationary for a lengthy period.

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did switch the engine off and didn’t have my seatbelt on when restarting to disengage the parking brake and move it. But after I got the bag out I also didn’t have my seatbelt on and the parking brake disengaged. I reckon @veeeight thought about the abs sensor might be what caused it. I have a service due in the next few weeks I’ll raise it with the garage then.

Reactions: veeeight

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
Our cars have many safety interlock features, for example (I think) if you open the door in "D", it will put the gearbox into "P" and apply the electronic park brake.

Bit of a pain when for example, you're trying to park against the offside kerb at night, and you open the drivers door to see how close you are to the kerb etc.

However it is to avoid tragedies such as this one - where Anton Yelchin was pinned against his gate and crushed to death, when he got out of his car, and it wasn't in "P" nor the parking brake applied. :(

RIP Anton Yelchin

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I can vouch for is that the parking brake stops the car being able to move forward or back in the A45s. In the original A45 the car could still be moved 🙃

·
Registered
103 Posts
Our cars have many safety interlock features, for example (I think) if you open the door in "D", it will put the gearbox into "P" and apply the electronic park brake.

Bit of a pain when for example, you're trying to park against the offside kerb at night, and you open the drivers door to see how close you are to the kerb etc.

However it is to avoid tragedies such as this one - where Anton Yelchin was pinned against his gate and crushed to death, when he got out of his car, and it wasn't in "P" nor the parking brake applied. :(

RIP Anton Yelchin

Very sad. Had an amazing career ahead of him and was great in the new Star Trek. Like you said, an accident that shouldn't have been able happened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts