Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found that the suspension on the A250 W177 is too soft I'm constantly hitting the under carriage at the front on speed humps. Im new to mercedes as my previous cars were VW group, I've had this car for about 7 months now and it is becoming very annoying has anyone with a A250 has the same issue.
Regards
IMG_20190713_162923.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes I been suffering this issue, I'm sure many others will too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think it’s all ‘AMG line’ cars. My A200 does it. I now drive over humps so one wheel goes over the middle of the hump to increase clearance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes having a low spring vehicle will mean you will have to change your driving style a bit. Going over speed bumps and going in and out of steep driveways requires a bit of fitness by taking it slow and taking a diagonal driving line. It's really not that bad once you get use to it. Having said that, I have still scraped the front a few times coming in a bit too fast 😁.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The scraping sound you normally hear when going over bumps is a small plastic bit in front of the front wheels under the car. Go have a look!

Thats there to help airflow around the wheels. I've spoken to mercedes about this and they said it can take beating, but to prevent it scraping you'll need to drive slower over bumps.

It won't be the undertray/front bumper scraping. (unless you're speeding over the sharper bumps!!)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine A250 4Matic AMG Line, DCC Suspension, does too, got car since 08.2019. This car is as soft as french cars...but hey thats why it failed moose test exceeding it at only 66kph

·
Registered
401 Posts
For some reason MB have lowered the suspension of the AMG Line models, it does look nice but I have been surprised by just how low it is at times.

I have no problems with hitting speed bumps though but I do slow down for them, I always have though in all my cars because going too quickly effects the tracking and wrecks the dampers.

As for being too soft, I don't think so, if anything it is on the firm side

·
Registered
38 Posts
As for being too soft, I don't think so, if anything it is on the firm side
I disagree but maybe i got other experience :) Drove Sline on Audi, FR Line from Seat, Skoda with Stiffened Suspension, BMW with MSport Suspension ( not M model but normal model ) and those are good, stiff and on firm side

·
Registered
401 Posts
I disagree but maybe i got other experience :) Drove Sline on Audi, FR Line from Seat, Skoda with Stiffened Suspension, BMW with MSport Suspension ( not M model but normal model ) and those are good, stiff and on firm side
I don't really think you are comparing like for like here. The cars above all have stiffened suspension, the AMG Line suspension is not stiffened as far as I know, it is lowered though. MB describe it as Sport Comfort suspension which is marketing speak really, I think they are saying it is Sports because it is lowered, Comfort because well its comfortable not stiffened.

You talk about your car having DCC, do you mean Dynamic Body Control, if so this will be completely different in any case.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I bought my car seller told me that this AMG Line Package will include as You mentioned lowered Sport suspension and I assumed ( now I know that it was wrong assumption but it was logical assumption ) that if suspension is lower it have to be stiffer to avoid hitting ground when on bumpy roads or other stuff.
On MB it is called on brochures as: Adaptive Damping System ( ADS ). And yes i got this but even on Sport mode it is soft, got only 2 modes ( Normal and Sport ) which dissapointed me ( couldnt get before I buy car with ADS )

·
Registered
401 Posts
When I bought my car seller told me
I know how you feel, when I bought mine the salesman told me all about lots of features that came as standard, but many of them were actually part of one optional Pack or another so despite buying a Premium Plus I didn't get all the features I expected. My fault entirely though as I should have checked for myself 🙄

·
Registered
198 Posts
The W177 range all have the same suspension height 104mm, against the previous model W176 at 160mm and most other cars which rarely go below 120mm

Watch out over speed bumps, kerbs, multi storey car park ramps, Channel Tunnel trains and ferries

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cannot have all W177 104mm height, because You got Comfort, Comfort Lowered, A35, A45 too :) From where did You got this ride height value? Couldnt found on spec or datasheets even on google

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As many of you have said the suspension on the A250 AMG line with comfort sport suspension is rediculusly too soft well at least for me coming from a golf GTi performance pack, MB should recall this rediculus setup and recalibrate the set-up on these model. This is the only thing I hate about this car and I feel very strongly about it 😡

·
Registered
38 Posts
As many of you have said the suspension on the A250 AMG line with comfort sport suspension is rediculusly too soft well at least for me coming from a golf GTi performance pack, MB should recall this rediculus setup and recalibrate the set-up on these model. This is the only thing I hate about this car and I feel very strongly about it 😡
Oh thank God, at last someone that has same opinion as me..we should go to beer :D hahah oh and if U were a girl I would rendez vous with You ha:cool:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Firstly I don't think that 'many' people are saying that the suspension on the A250 is 'ridiculously soft'.

Quite why you would expect the A250 to have similar suspension to a Golf GTI with Performance Pack is beyond me. The A250 isn't even marketed as a hot hatch, that is left to the A35 and A45. The A250 is a family hatch back and as is the case for most MB family cars is built for comfort rather than thrills, this is even the case with their SL range so I'm really surprised that some people expect firm sports handling as this would not be what the majority of MB buyers would be looking for.

I would also question why, given that a firm suspension is a key requirement of yours, you didn't test drive the car before buying it. I'm sorry to be critical but there seems little point moaning here that your A Class doesn't have the same sports suspension as your previous performance pack Golf if you didn't bother to get a test drive first.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts