Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've been following the forum from a distance for a while and now I have finally bought a 17 plate FLA45 AMG. Spent the last three year in a heavily modded Focus RS mk3 which I truely loved!! Awesome car and a shame I couldn't own both :)

Reactions: veeeight

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Good choice.

Do you have the LSD FL version. And how does the A45 compare to the Focus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi
Yes I have the LSD FL version with the adaptive suspension.
I loved my Focus. Highly tuneable from stock, with lots of choice of aftermarket intakes, sports cats, intercoolers and of course tunes. The noticeable differences to me between the two are:

RS: Raw and immersive, manual gearbox so you have to work hard through the changes [short shift helps], instantly recognisable so people move over for you :) Really deep exhaust note. Very harsh ride, turbo lag until you tune it out. Awesome shell seats [option]. Poor turning circle and I could never judge the length of the front end when parking it. Eats British B roads for breakfast.

A45: rapid gear changes, low down torque, quality interior, hand built engine that's fairly bomb proof, cheap to tune as very little hardware required. Rear window visibility poor. Awesome handling and refined power

If I was really honest I would own both :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Alan Derby,
I also came from a Blue Edition RS and liken you said owning both that and my 17 plate A45 would be ideal. Question for you, are you suffering any vibration issues when braking and do you get the thud noise from the rear when the cars dropping down gears usually 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I don't have any vibration issues when braking. The only noises I'm aware of from the rear are the exhaust pops and crackles. The one annoying issue I have is when in full steering lock, the front wheels will thud/skip at slow speeds. There's a few threads explaining this is normal but it doesn't feel normal to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get the same noise on full lock in car parks especially on cold wet days, someone said its the ackermann steering same as a go kart uses but like you said doesn't sound right. Interesting you don't get the thud noise (like somethings banged the floor of your boot, I don't get it if I manually change down but do on occasions when in auto

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi, I don't have any vibration issues when braking. The only noises I'm aware of from the rear are the exhaust pops and crackles. The one annoying issue I have is when in full steering lock, the front wheels will thud/skip at slow speeds. There's a few threads explaining this is normal but it doesn't feel normal to me.
I have a 19' plate A35 and it does the same, especially when I pull off or reverse on the driveway!

I was thinking it might have been tracking etc. but now you've said that I might leave it until tyre change time and get four wheel tracking done then just for my peace of mind really.

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
someone said its the ackermann steering
It's 100% this, M-B’s, AMG’s (as well as Porsche's, other high performance cars etc.) all run anti-ackerman (or negative ackerman) steering geometry, to give good steering response at high speeds.

The trade off is low speed, full-lock, the two front wheels are pointing in slightly different directions - in the warm summer, the soft tyre tread blocks will take up the variance and you won’t notice, and hence why winter tyres when the weather gets cold will solve this issue, more pliant tread blocks so you don't get the judder/hopping/skipping at full lock.

You can of course set up the geometry so that you don't get the judder/knock/skip/hop at low speed on full lock, but you will sacrifice good steering response at high speed, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It does it on my 991.2, but only when cold and travelling slowly. Once the tyres are warm it will disappear and handling will resume as normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts