Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this message pop up, did what it said the transmission made some weird clunking noises.

Anyone know what this actually does, and what brings it on?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Never had that message. I have had a warning of risk of vehicle rolling but only when I open the door, engine running and handbrake not on.

·
Super Moderator
2,675 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,675 Posts
One oft quoted and propogated internet myth is that the box "learns your driving style" over time.

It certainly is adaptive, but to its own internal parameters (clutch wear, hydraulic valve pressures, set points etc). But not in an AI sense where it learns a driving style. It categorically doesn't, I suspect this will take a whole new topic post, but in brief - it uses multiple maps and algorithms, to deliver an output, according to various inputs (throttle position, rate of change of throttle, road speed, road incline, driver input, engine torque etc. etc.). Doing a TCU reset or teach-in process, initialises those parameters, it does a "Ground Zero" to re-adapt from scratch.

(Some manufacturers boxes also incorporate 3D info from Navigation systems, to help adaptive shifts on inclines, bends etc. Some incorporate a degree of "fuzzy logic" to try and recognise a driving style in the moment, eg; relaxed vs aggressive)

But it would inaccurate to say the box "learns", more accurate to say it "adapts" - for shift quality, and shift strategy.

Much in the same way as adaptive suspension works - it adapts to conditions dynamically, but at the end of the day, its still look up tables and algorithms.

Those with W176 A45's in particular know that they need to perform a TCU reset regularly, as the adaptation algorithms aren't perfect.
This is true for all "self adapting"� gearboxes from all manufacturers.

So sometimes it needs a prod back to ground zero to start again.
And sometimes we prefer a quicker response, as a trade off for a little shift quality.

Previous post:

"My washing machine is smart, it adapts to load and meters (water, detergent) accordingly.

But it sure as he11 hasn't learnt that I wash sheets on a Friday and undies on a Sunday

Now, that would be truly AI learning !"

https://www.yourmechanic.com/question/how-does-an-adaptive-transmission-work-by-joshua-f
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/voices/does-an-adaptive-gearbox-really-learn-how-you-drive/
http://autocats.ws/manual/sdmedia/mediadb/mb_Acrobat/getriebe/2011_08_001_002_en.pdf

·
Registered
48 Posts
how did you manage to add this kph on the side near mph . for me it removes itself after i turn off the car and i need to turn it on every time on start up .

·
Registered
773 Posts
@veeeight - I think you are misunderstanding when people say it is learning, they do not mean true AI. Yes it runs on algorithms, but don't we as humans. When we make a decision we do that based on the information we have have from our senses, we then work out the best thing to do for the outcome we want. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The fact that it can adapt is like learning, It does not make the same prediction every time, it adapts to different condition and some of the information it takes from is previous driving.

It could be worse, it could have a single clutch and like old automatic gearboxes that had no idea what gear to be in.

·
Super Moderator
2,675 Posts
No.

It adapts to its internal parameters, sensors, on a long term basis.

It reacts to some instantaneous parameters (eg rate of throttle application, steering angle sensor) to try to determine the best map or algorithm to apply at any given moment.
Once that particular ignition cycle/journey is concluded, none of this is retained.

The gearbox therefore does not retain information to "learn" any driving style on a long term basis, it is a fallacy to say that it "learns" anymore than Adaptive Suspension "learns", or self levelling headlamps "learn".

(and there are members on here that will prefer a torque converter gearbox over a dual clutch gearbox, especially those who have gone over to BMW) :wink:
Dual clutch boxes do have their advantages, but also their negatives.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also forgot to mention that I had been driving it in Manual mode the night before.

I wonder if this had something to do with it?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds like the firmware has somehow reset itself and it's reconfiguring the basic parameters. Your dealer will know what it's doing I would show them the message and ask for an explanation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had this message pop up, did what it said the transmission made some weird clunking noises.

Anyone know what this actually does, and what brings it on?

Hii im having the same problem can you please tell me what can I do to get it cranking because it showing that message and not cranking

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hii im having the same problem can you please tell me what can I do to get it cranking because it showing that message and not cranking
Eh, you just do what it says, hold brake down for 20 seconds then the timer goes down on screen, then it lets you start the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts