Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

Newbie here, please be gentle :)

This thread (and part 1) has been invaluable reading for me, my A250e arrives start of March, ordered it as a company car (hatchback with premium pack in cosmos black). Only had 1 x 20 minute test drive at a local dealership a few months ago, but to be honest, that and the low BIK was enough to convince me.

Question, is there anyone in here who hasn't got their own charging point at home? I'm not eligible for the OLEV grant as the cable would cross a public pathway (technically at least, in reality I live on a private housing development and I don't "own" the bit of path outside my house even though no one has ever walked on it in the 6 years I've lived here :rolleyes:). To get one put in would be a bit of a faff and more expensive. At first I was a tad worried but then worked out that my gym, that I visit for an hour on a morning 3 x a week has a free charger that in the 2 years I've been a member I've never seen someone plugged into at the time I go (6.30am), my wife's office has one (prior to lockdown 3 x a week, I use her car to drop kids off) and finally my local supermarket that is approximately a 4 minute drive from my house with a really nice independent coffee shop over the road has four of them.

Sort of feels that given it's a PHEV and not an EV, I'd probably be able to manage easily enough, just wondered if anyone else relied solely on local public chargers?

Cheers

Smitheroo
yes this will do you fine, I have a home charge but like you I visit the Gym and charge there and also when out in town or supermarket so haven't used the home charge much. down load some apps like zap-map to show you every point. I think my Regus work place will have one soon so Ill be job done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi All,
Sort of feels that given it's a PHEV and not an EV, I'd probably be able to manage easily enough, just wondered if anyone else relied solely on local public chargers?
Cheers
Smitheroo
Welcome to the forum and great choice of car!

I don't have a home charger for mine, as I'm in a similar situation to you.

Short answer: I've found managing quite easy and nothing I've lost sleep over!

Yes, it would be great if it could be plugged in at home but it's meant we've spent more time walking at a few local places that do have chargers. Good health benefit if you ask me!

Depending on how many journeys you're doing and what distance, you might find a charge lasts a while. I charge mine when I can and when I can (at work locations, retail places, services if I've stopped for a coffee etc).

I know I've had some weeks it's been running on just petrol for days at a time and it's just as nice a car to drive. No, it's not as refined or quiet as running on electric... it's still a cracking car though!

If I watched every penny I was spending on electric vs. petrol I might be more concerned, but i've got no issues at the moment ;)

And ultimately - as you've put - it's a PHEV not an EV, so it's got the flexibility for the situation you're in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the forum and great choice of car!

I don't have a home charger for mine, as I'm in a similar situation to you.

Short answer: I've found managing quite easy and nothing I've lost sleep over!

Yes, it would be great if it could be plugged in at home but it's meant we've spent more time walking at a few local places that do have chargers. Good health benefit if you ask me!

Depending on how many journeys you're doing and what distance, you might find a charge lasts a while. I charge mine when I can and when I can (at work locations, retail places, services if I've stopped for a coffee etc).

I know I've had some weeks it's been running on just petrol for days at a time and it's just as nice a car to drive. No, it's not as refined or quiet as running on electric... it's still a cracking car though!

If I watched every penny I was spending on electric vs. petrol I might be more concerned, but i've got no issues at the moment ;)

And ultimately - as you've put - it's a PHEV not an EV, so it's got the flexibility for the situation you're in.
Hi all,

I'm also a long term lurker on this forum and these discussions have been really helpful in deciding on my next company car (CLA SB premium, delivery in April).

Like Smitheroo, I also don't have access to a home charger but have a colleague who had been charging at work for the past 6 months and I thought I could do the same. But 2 weeks after I ordered the car, landlord basically banned us from charging through 3-pin sockets (safety risk, understandable I guess). So it's good to hear that I won't be the only person who, at times, drives the car on petrol engine alone.

Those who end up using ICE alone for longer miles, how are you finding the economy? What's the effect of carrying an additional 200kg around?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi All,

Newbie here, please be gentle :)

This thread (and part 1) has been invaluable reading for me, my A250e arrives start of March, ordered it as a company car (hatchback with premium pack in cosmos black). Only had 1 x 20 minute test drive at a local dealership a few months ago, but to be honest, that and the low BIK was enough to convince me.

Question, is there anyone in here who hasn't got their own charging point at home? I'm not eligible for the OLEV grant as the cable would cross a public pathway (technically at least, in reality I live on a private housing development and I don't "own" the bit of path outside my house even though no one has ever walked on it in the 6 years I've lived here :rolleyes:). To get one put in would be a bit of a faff and more expensive. At first I was a tad worried but then worked out that my gym, that I visit for an hour on a morning 3 x a week has a free charger that in the 2 years I've been a member I've never seen someone plugged into at the time I go (6.30am), my wife's office has one (prior to lockdown 3 x a week, I use her car to drop kids off) and finally my local supermarket that is approximately a 4 minute drive from my house with a really nice independent coffee shop over the road has four of them.

Cheers

Smitheroo

Hi all,

I'm also a long term lurker on this forum and these discussions have been really helpful in deciding on my next company car (CLA SB premium, delivery in April).

Like Smitheroo, I also don't have access to a home charger but have a colleague who had been charging at work for the past 6 months and I thought I could do the same. But 2 weeks after I ordered the car, landlord basically banned us from charging through 3-pin sockets (safety risk, understandable I guess). So it's good to hear that I won't be the only person who, at times, drives the car on petrol engine alone.

Those who end up using ICE alone for longer miles, how are you finding the economy? What's the effect of carrying an additional 200kg around?

Hi guys - welcome to the forum!

I am going to try giving you my own personal perspective (right or wrong!). I fully believe that the cost of a home charger would override the fact you have to drive to other electric vehicle charging points. I have a public charging point opposite my work (literally 2 minutes to walk) and it costs around £3 a day to park there, but because I get free parking at work I now use my home charge unit to charge the car and this costs around 50p a day. I know saving £2.50 isn't much, but if you consider that over the course of the year and assume you charge it 365 days of the year, that's over £900 I will be saving.

I absolutely loathe driving the car on petrol, because my commute is up/down hills and mainly on back roads so I only get around 35-40mpg, but my trip data for the last 300 miles has shown me driving 280 miles on electric at an average mpg of 282.5.

It's good, but electric only running is something I have read and heard this car is not great for. I was even told by the dealership to avoid it, because as you mention you're lugging around 200kg extra which seems pointless.

If you can find a home charge unit for around £300, the long term benefits will show...

·
Registered
A250e Premium Hatchback, Cosmos Black
2 Posts
Hi guys - welcome to the forum!
I know saving £2.50 isn't much, but if you consider that over the course of the year and assume you charge it 365 days of the year, that's over £900 I will be saving.
Thanks Mosraza, it's definitely a valid point. I suppose in my case, the 3 x public chargers I mentioned (gym, wifes work, supermarket) are all free to park at and the chargers are all also free so I'll hopefully not suffer too much of a loss. TBH, if / when I move into my next house and have a simpler home charger install I'll likely take the plunge anyway.

On another note, what is the actual process for charging the car? Obviously plug the cable into the charger and the car (;)) but do you need to do anything else to the car to set it going before logging onto the relevant app? I read somewhere the car needs to be engine off and locked? Is that correct? Also I think I read that the charging port will lock the cable on the car side, but can you also lock it on the public charger side?

Sorry for the noddy questions, you can tell I haven't got mine yet!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I f*** hate CM!! Got home at 10, plugged car in for it to charge between 12.30-4.30am. Went in shower and my phone beeped to tell me my car was charging... at 10.44pm??

surely a fault with the box, it shouldn’t be doing this!!!
Finally I have contact and also finally an appointment to fit next week - wed. Have things improved for you ? I'll let you know how I get on following install and password.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A caveat first: Most of my longer petrol-only journeys (>60miles) are 80-90% motorway and generally involve some 50/60mpg roadworks stretches as well.

If the car's warm already and I can keep a steady speed, I'm getting low-mid 50's at 70. If it's in a 50/60mph, it's high 50's. At the start of the journey it's high 40's.

Look in the MercedesMe app: So far I've done ~2,200 miles, ~800 of which are electric only. My average fuel consumption is 64mpg.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks Mosraza, it's definitely a valid point. I suppose in my case, the 3 x public chargers I mentioned (gym, wifes work, supermarket) are all free to park at and the chargers are all also free so I'll hopefully not suffer too much of a loss. TBH, if / when I move into my next house and have a simpler home charger install I'll likely take the plunge anyway.

On another note, what is the actual process for charging the car? Obviously plug the cable into the charger and the car (;)) but do you need to do anything else to the car to set it going before logging onto the relevant app? I read somewhere the car needs to be engine off and locked? Is that correct? Also I think I read that the charging port will lock the cable on the car side, but can you also lock it on the public charger side?

Sorry for the noddy questions, you can tell I haven't got mine yet!
Not noddy questions at all :)

The car does need to be parked (handbrake on) and the "engine" off to charge. You can still have the ignition on for radio etc. It doesn't need to be locked, the car will charge either way. You don't need to do anything specific, just connect the charger, check it locks and start the charge process on the charger. If somethings not right on the car side it will generally tell you on the dashboard what the issue is. The car won't drive without the charging process being stopped as well.

Yes the charging cable (either yours or a tethered cable) locks in the car when it's connected. This end of the cable can generally be released at any point using the little unlock button next to the charging socket. The charger side depends on the charger, but most lock and won't release until you end the charging session or swipe a charge/payment card. If it's a tethered charger this isn't an issue of course!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not noddy questions at all :)

The car does need to be parked (handbrake on) and the "engine" off to charge. You can still have the ignition on for radio etc. It doesn't need to be locked, the car will charge either way. You don't need to do anything specific, just connect the charger, check it locks and start the charge process on the charger. If somethings not right on the car side it will generally tell you on the dashboard what the issue is. The car won't drive without the charging process being stopped as well.

Yes the charging cable (either yours or a tethered cable) locks in the car when it's connected. This end of the cable can generally be released at any point using the little unlock button next to the charging socket. The charger side depends on the charger, but most lock and won't release until you end the charging session or swipe a charge/payment card. If it's a tethered charger this isn't an issue of course!
@Smitheroo

What I would say (in regards to the last paragraph) is the button is not an unlock button (but it does unlock it). It is the static charge button which releases any static when disconnecting the cable and only needs pressed every 10 charges or so. I have a habit of using it every day though. I am sure that the cable locks unless the car key is near the car. If I am nowhere near the car there is no chance someone call put my cable out. If I am near, I think the cable is unlocked.

Am I making sense? 😂

·
Registered
202 Posts
@Smitheroo

What I would say (in regards to the last paragraph) is the button is not an unlock button (but it does unlock it). It is the static charge button which releases any static when disconnecting the cable and only needs pressed every 10 charges or so. I have a habit of using it every day though. I am sure that the cable locks unless the car key is near the car. If I am nowhere near the car there is no chance someone call put my cable out. If I am near, I think the cable is unlocked.

Am I making sense? 😂
It isn't a static button, it is a unlock/end charging button. Cable is locked while charging, to release it the car needs to be unlocked or they key needs to be close enough when pressing the button in the charge flap

·
Registered
93 Posts
I f*** hate CM!! Got home at 10, plugged car in for it to charge between 12.30-4.30am. Went in shower and my phone beeped to tell me my car was charging... at 10.44pm??

surely a fault with the box, it shouldn’t be doing this!!!
Now installed. First charge going on now, 6.9kw. Happy with that and happy clean install!!
Now waiting on the password etc to get the most from the App.
I know using the app and scheduling will be the biggest test based on your experience to date...

I'm just happy for now I can charge from home :)

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz A250e
17 Posts
I did -23,5C winter drive electric test and results were indeed interesting, electric drive was only possible first 1km then petrol engine started and EL-mode got disabled. Then driving continued in Eco/Comfort hybrid mode. Car was charged in warm +10C shopping mall 100% charge.
Test result video can be seen here:

61 - 72 of 72 Posts