Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys.;)

For long trips, ECO+Navigation, it will then optimize electric usage for low city traffic (if destination is in the city), I tested this las summer, and it indeed saved 10% battery in highway speeds for destination city area and then in the city charging point there was 2% left.
I'll make some 750-800km journeys (I see you are from Finland, so we can "talk in kilometers language") beginning October.
If I understood, you're telling me the Navigation system, on the journey, optimizes consumption between electric and fuel?
You see, even if I could charge the batteries on my way, at the "maximum" rate of 7,4kw, it would take "ages", and I don't know if this could be a good choice, in terms of time, I mean.
And I only pass through cites at the very end of those travels (95% on highways, more or less).

Thanks for your invaluable help, Tonde!

Art

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz A250e
27 Posts
I'll make some 750-800km journeys (I see you are from Finland, so we can "talk in kilometers language") beginning October.
If I understood, you're telling me the Navigation system, on the journey, optimizes consumption between electric and fuel?
You see, even if I could charge the batteries on my way, at the "maximum" rate of 7,4kw, it would take "ages", and I don't know if this could be a good choice, in terms of time, I mean.
And I only pass through cites at the very end of those travels (95% on highways, more or less).

Thanks for your invaluable help, Tonde!

Art
Yes, if ECO+Navigation destination address is set when you start driving, car will optimize petrol and electric usage to the whole trip. With this way I was able to get some 3L/100km average consumption on last summer for 150km trip. I had only some 20km range when starting the trip, then charged some 60km on middle and then drove to home. So even a short charge will help on decreasing petrol consumption.

Other 180km trip I was able to drive full electric, but I had decided already that I will use free public chargers and trip can take as long as needed. It needed 3 public charge sessions (1h45mins each), so it may not be the fastest way to go to destination 😁

Ps. I have plenty of short 1-2mins videos of the A250e on my channel where I’m doing different kind of tests, hope they are helpfull:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, if ECO+Navigation destination address is set when you start driving, car will optimize petrol and electric usage to the whole trip. With this way I was able to get some 3L/100km average consumption on last summer for 150km trip. I had only some 20km range when starting the trip, then charged some 60km on middle and then drove to home. So even a short charge will help on decreasing petrol consumption.

Other 180km trip I was able to drive full electric, but I had decided already that I will use free public chargers and trip can take as long as needed. It needed 3 public charge sessions (1h45mins each), so it may not be the fastest way to go to destination 😁

Ps. I have plenty of short 1-2mins videos of the A250e on my channel where I’m doing different kind of tests, hope they are helpfull:
Thanks for the help, my friend. I watched some of your videos a couple of days ago... but not these ones, I confess.
But I'll sure take a look.

All the best

Art

·
Registered
11 Posts
UPDATE: I can confirm this. On my first trip (only 105km) on ECO + Navigation, the consumption was 3,1L/100. Very good.

INFORMATION: I know you are experts on the A250e issue. But I will share what is going on with the oficial Mercedes-Benz in my country.
On their publicity, we can read/see they guarantee the A250e can be charged with AC or DC. But I believe you all know that is NOT true. What they DON'T say is the car CAN BE charged with DC, but AS AN OPTION (a very expensive one!). The "Type 2" cable they provide with the car is the AC one, without those 2 extra "pins" needed.

So, I would like to ask you: how is the publicity in your countries? Do oficial Mercedes-Benz provide DC ability with every new car or as an option?
I really like to know, because I'm one of the founding members (since 1976) of our consumer's association and I'm preparing a joint complaint about this issue.
I'm PRETTY SURE a brand like Mercedes-Benz will not like this bad publicity.
I would be very grateful, if you provide this information about what's going on in your countries.
Thanks in advance.

All the best

Art

·
Registered
320 Posts
UPDATE: I can confirm this. On my first trip (only 105km) on ECO + Navigation, the consumption was 3,1L/100. Very good.

INFORMATION: I know you are experts on the A250e issue. But I will share what is going on with the oficial Mercedes-Benz in my country.
On their publicity, we can read/see they guarantee the A250e can be charged with AC or DC. But I believe you all know that is NOT true. What they DON'T say is the car CAN BE charged with DC, but AS AN OPTION (a very expensive one!). The "Type 2" cable they provide with the car is the AC one, without those 2 extra "pins" needed.

So, I would like to ask you: how is the publicity in your countries? Do oficial Mercedes-Benz provide DC ability with every new car or as an option?
I really like to know, because I'm one of the founding members (since 1976) of our consumer's association and I'm preparing a joint complaint about this issue.
I'm PRETTY SURE a brand like Mercedes-Benz will not like this bad publicity.
I would be very grateful, if you provide this information about what's going on in your countries.
Thanks in advance.

All the best

Art
What country are you in?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz A250e
27 Posts
Nice that ECO + Navigation worked well 👍

About CCS DC charging, in Finland it’s optional extra, both in price list and in online configurator.

During my buying process on 2019, my sales agent said that if you want faster charging than AC, CCS fast charging can be either ordered as optional extra from the factory (you need to wait additional 6months as it comes available on summer 2020) or afterwards installed by local Mercedes dealer. So it easy choise, did not want to wait any more time as my car was originally planned to be delivered Q4/2019, it was finally delivered on April 2020.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks again, Tonde.
I see in Finland they provide the ability of DC charging. I thought in my country (and yes, I'm a guy from Portugal), they would provide it too as an option, but , now, I'm not so assured.
I emailed Mercedes-Benz, to be sure. Let's see what's their reply...

Best

Art

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Portuguese website configurator allows DC charging as an option

View attachment 7791
Thanks a lot for your reply!

I don't know how you did it, but I can't do it myself! The system "drags" me to another page, specifically A250e.
Would you be so kind to post here the exact link we can see above the page?
That could help me A LOT, believe me.

Thanks in advance

Art

UPDATE: I accessed that same page and you're right... it's there!
Thanks again, for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m the owner of a CLA250e (same engine) and have a fairly technical question:

Does the car do any pre-heating around the engine compartment? Like heating the engine oil because when I drive in ECO/Comfort and approach the highway the engine fire’s up, revs go up high and it doesn’t sound healthy at all..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello (again) group!

I was wondering...

Let's suppose I provide my A250e with the DC ability, making the expensive transformation (I'm making the "accountability", before deciding...).
Could anyone tell me what's the TOP charging I could achieve in DC (in Kwh)? I know the new C Class can achieve a maximum of 55kwh.
And... more important, what is the maximum I can achieve in AC, after the transformation? 7,4kwh? 11kwh?

Any help would be VERY appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.

All the best

Art

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz A250e
27 Posts
Hello (again) group!

I was wondering...

Let's suppose I provide my A250e with the DC ability, making the expensive transformation (I'm making the "accountability", before deciding...).
Could anyone tell me what's the TOP charging I could achieve in DC (in Kwh)? I know the new C Class can achieve a maximum of 55kwh.
And... more important, what is the maximum I can achieve in AC, after the transformation? 7,4kwh? 11kwh?

Any help would be VERY appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.

All the best

Art
DC 24kW is maximum rate in A250e and what I have read from othe users is that it depends on temperature, but will anyway get much faster than AC 7,4kW.

AC cannot be upgraded, 7,4kW is maximum.

DC upgrade costs about 1000€ including parts, installation and work (in Finland).

C-class is having 11kW because of 3-phase wires.
A-class has only 2-phase wires.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz A250e
27 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m the owner of a CLA250e (same engine) and have a fairly technical question:

Does the car do any pre-heating around the engine compartment? Like heating the engine oil because when I drive in ECO/Comfort and approach the highway the engine fire’s up, revs go up high and it doesn’t sound healthy at all..
Only cabin is preheated, not petrol engine.
You need separate petrol engine heat element, ex. Defa, to get petrol engine preheated. Some users in Finland have installed Defa by local dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DC 24kW is maximum rate in A250e and what I have read from othe users is that it depends on temperature, but will anyway get much faster than AC 7,4kW.

AC cannot be upgraded, 7,4kW is maximum.

DC upgrade costs about 1000€ including parts, installation and work (in Finland).

C-class is having 11kW because of 3-phase wires.
A-class has only 2-phase wires.
WOW, quick and PERFECT reply! Thank you so much.
Now I have all the details I need, to make - or not! - the transformation (here it's "only" 650€). But it's quite tempting to have DC-24 and AC-7,4 at the same time, depending of the chargers...
I don't know if the new C-Class has more than the 11Kw you mentioned for the now "old" model.

Best to you

Art

·
Registered
320 Posts
When I ordered my A250e, I thought it would also have the DC charging. However, since I actually received it I don't think I would actually use it. In most cases, DC charging is a similar price per mile as using petrol. I only tend to charge at home & work but I will use public points if they are free. If you have a local DC charger which is cheap or free it could be worth it though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alright, my friends, what's your opinion?

- Best way to preserve the batteries:
a) To charge them every time you use the car, let's say, 15% today, 12% tomorrow, that is, beginning the day always with 100%, or
b) To use the car until you reach, let's say, 10% of their capacity, AND THEN, charge them till 100%.

Thanks again for your invaluable help

Best

Art

·
Registered
320 Posts
You don't really need to follow any of the 'normal' EV protocols for the A250e battery - its a 15kwh battery of which only 10.8kwh is usable - thats nearly 1/3rd of the capacity being kept as reserve (at top end and bottom end) to prolong the life of it. The only thing to consider is not leaving it on 0% for extended periods (2 weeks+).

101 - 120 of 121 Posts