Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there are a couple of people who have received their A250e's now - I have had mine for about a month and really enjoying it.

Has anyone had issues with charging rates? I have tried it on a 7kw point but it will only charge at 3.4kw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same happened with mine when charging at a Pod-Point charger in a local Tesco. Haven’t tried it anywhere else yet

·
Registered
A250e
36 Posts
I've used Source London twice (Surrey Quays and Stratford Intl) - they advertise 7kw speeds but the Mercedes Me app showed a charge speed of 4.6kw. What is annoying is that they charge you by the minute and so it costs the customers more for a full charge (as you need to stay connected longer). I complained and both times they said that it must be idiosyncratic issues however I smell a scam and raised a formal complaint. If it happens again I will report them to someone.... (a regulator, the mayor's office?) I tried ESB EV Solutions (St THomas' Hospital, Waterloo) and their speeds were great (7kw).

Does the CCS socket open for anyone? My one is blocked/locked but Mercedes said a local dealer may be able to retrofit/activate it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I tried it today on a 22kw charger and it got to 6.9kw, still not the 7.4kw advertised.... I was considering getting a 7kw wallbox charger at home but there isn't much point if it won't actually charge at that rate.

As for CCS, it seems that they didn't end up putting it in for this model year, despite saying it was capable of DC charging in the original press release. However I did see someone say their dealer mentioned it was coming for the next model year though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's no DC charging mentioned in the latest UK brochure (July production model), but there is in the latest German brochure - only as a paid option however (and you have to pay for a 7.4kw AC charger too!). So perhaps it will be available as an option in December?

·
Registered
A250e
36 Posts
I mean, given the small battery I am not too fussed about not having CCS capability. However, I am annoyed with charge providers that advertise 7kw but are not actually supplying 7kw charge speeds......

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 7.4kw transformer in the a250e is actually two 3.7kw transformers working in tandem. So a single phase charger (even if its 32A) wont give you 7.4kw. You need to charge from a 3-phase charger. The old B250e used all 3 phases which gave you 3.7kw * 3 = 11kw.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 7.4kw transformer in the a250e is actually two 3.7kw transformers working in tandem. So a single phase charger (even if its 32A) wont give you 7.4kw. You need to charge from a 3-phase charger. The old B250e used all 3 phases which gave you 3.7kw * 3 = 11kw.
Wtf!?! Surely that can't be true, as Mercedes claim it will charge in 1.5hrs from a 7kw home wallbox which are only single phase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Really? Where do they claim that? I asked my dealer here in Norway before ordering a a250e. He said you needed a 3-phase charger (3*16A) to get full 7.4kw. So I have installed that. My A250e will arrive in 14 days...

Edit: From the UK ebrochure
Mercedes-Benz plug-in vehicle customers with off-street parking can benefit from the convenience and speed of charging at home by installing a BP Chargemaster Homecharge unit. The 7 kW BP Chargemaster Homecharge unit a full charge in under four hours – that’s three times faster than using a 13 A three-pin domestic plug.

Four hours is not 7.4kw charging.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The brochure also shows the charging times 1.75hrs or 3.25hrs - presume it's based on a single (1.75hrs) or 3-phase (3.25hrs) 7.4kw charger though?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have just spoken to Mercedes UK customer services, they are looking into it and will hopefully email me some info to clear it up. I have also contacted BP Chargemaster to see if they can help. The situation is a little bit frustrating (along with the missing DC charging capability which they said at the launch), but if it does need 3 phase for the full 7.4kw, then I will save my money and stick with the granny charger.

On a different note, I am VERY impressed at the car's overtaking ability. I went down some single carriageway roads yesterday, making quite a few overtakes. The electric motor really makes a difference in these conditions, pull the left paddle to select optimal gear and then shoot off very quickly :D:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an a250e and with a single phase (normal domestic supply) wall box (Pod-Point) the max charge is 7.4kw there will be some variance depending on the overall draw of your property at any time but we charge between 7 and 7.4kw. In the UK the a250e does not have DC charging, even though the articles on the web says it does it sadly does not and the online brochure is now updated to show that it does not. It takes between 1hr 40 to 2hrs to charge from empty. Obviously if you use the granny charger significantly longer. Hope this helps

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had a response from Mercedes UK, who concurs with Ole's info that you need 2/3 phase to get the full 7.4kw... but now hooperg has conflicting info :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2,897 Posts
On a slight tangent, I don't have an EV, but know a bit about the wall chargers and installation. My favoured charger is the Zappi, purely from a safety point, it has clever safety features to BS7671 Amendment 1, in the case of an installation in a PME supply.

On a UK Single Phase supply, it is a 32A or 7.4kW charger (assuming 230V).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes the majority of UK homes are Single phase. Three phase is available and some larger homes have it and commercial premises but 90%+ of homes are single phase by default with a 100amp main fuse (some older houses only have 60amp) As we move forward to an EV future this will be interesting as homes have more than one EV car that need charging overnight Then 3 phase will become more relevant. For example I had a quote from our power distribution company to upgrade from single to 3 phase and it was circa £5000. Obviously with three phase you can then leverage 22kw charging at home as long as car and charger support it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's quite a bit of extra money for the feed to be upgraded, compared with just getting a wallbox installed. Especially if you want/need both to be done!

1 - 20 of 323 Posts