Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

181 - 200 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
In short yes! 😂 It feels like it could accelerate forever and high range acceleration is impressive. Not that I do this often 🤫
@SSM @Jay-SVF yeah I was very impressed with the acceleration too for a 1.3 litre. I’ve “downgraded” massively though as I switched from a BMW M2 which had 3 litres and 370BHP 😂 I do sometimes miss it 😭 🤫

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thats amazing - I’ve never seen my range go above 34 miles! although I’ve driven what seems like closer to 40
I guess it depends on how you drive and what type of journeys you do. I do a 60 mile commute 4 times a week, 80% of its motorway. On my days off I do max 30 miles a day country roads and some inner city. I don't use AC or heated seats etc so can easily manage on a one charge range 👍

·
Registered
75 Posts
@SSM @Jay-SVF yeah I was very impressed with the acceleration too for a 1.3 litre. I’ve “downgraded” massively though as I switched from a BMW M2 which had 3 litres and 370BHP 😂 I do sometimes miss it 😭 🤫
Haha I bet you do, especially the sound! I had a 320d tourer so no major loss for me 😅

·
Registered
68 Posts
I guess it depends on how you drive and what type of journeys you do. I do a 60 mile commute 4 times a week, 80% of its motorway. On my days off I do max 30 miles a day country roads and some inner city. I don't use AC or heated seats etc so can easily manage on a one charge range 👍
my commute is around 24 miles on winding backroads. By the time I’m home I have around 7 or less miles of charge. I don’t overdo it but obviously there’s a lot of slowing and accelerating. I try not to use AC but windows steam up too quickly haha 😭they do with AC on too to be fair!! Welcome to winter!

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is a massive hit in terms of power and driveability factors. Am coming from a MK6 manuel GTI and I feel my A250E would give it a good run for its money

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is a massive hit in terms of power and driveability factors. Am coming from a MK6 manuel GTI and I feel my A250E would give it a good run for its money
I think the A250e would give a GTI a good run on the straight, when it hits the corners I'm not so sure! 😂

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
One question for everyone, has anyone bought the Mercedes Me Charge app? Is it any good or a complete waste of time?
I was looking into it the other evening. I could only find one network it is linked to - which is Polar. It doesn't seem that worthwhile, but I might be missing something?

·
Registered
68 Posts
@Diluculo @antnee

Not worth it guys. All it does it tells you where the nearest charger points are (which you can do using Zap-Map or other apps), and that's about it. You get an RFID card which you can also get free from Polar, but really in Scotland all we use is the Charge Your Car app and that's all. I was told by my dealership it wasn't worth it

·
Registered
41 Posts
@Diluculo @antnee

Not worth it guys. All it does it tells you where the nearest charger points are (which you can do using Zap-Map or other apps), and that's about it. You get an RFID card which you can also get free from Polar, but really in Scotland all we use is the Charge Your Car app and that's all. I was told by my dealership it wasn't worth it
I (finally) got my car on Tueday, which is why I asked. I've come to the same conclusion over the past few days! It's not worth it at all, using the networks own apps (Polar, Ecotricity, Engie etc) while not perfect is straightforward everytime I've tried so far :)

Zap-map has definitely been a great help finding chargers local to home or work sites.

I've got 7.4kw on every charger i've tried so far, so it's looking good!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I (finally) got my car on Tueday, which is why I asked. I've come to the same conclusion over the past few days! It's not worth it at all, using the networks own apps (Polar, Ecotricity, Engie etc) while not perfect is straightforward everytime I've tried so far :)

Zap-map has definitely been a great help finding chargers local to home or work sites.

Yeah 7.4kw is common. I usually plug in at around 7.45am on 20% ish, and by 9am my car is fully charged at work.. It's ideal!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
I think I am getting somewhere with the 3.7kw vs 7.4kw charge rates - it might be down to the cable supplied. I have done some electrical checks on my cable plus cross referenced part numbers at it appears to be a 16A (well technically 20A...) cable which is why I only see 3.7kw on a single phase charge point.

Images below are my cable; Mercedes part number A000 583 29 01. Ratings show 20A / 480V, then 3P+N+(earth symbol).

For anyone getting 7.4kw at home - can you check your lead and let me know what it says please?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey @antnee and others

Just had my wall box fitted by BP Chargemaster today, and it says max 32A / 240 V. The guy said I'd get 7.4kwh from it, but from the 3 pin socket I was only getting 2.2kw maximum (which is expected).
Will update further after the first charge I do tonight using the wall box.

Do you have a wall box?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
No wall box yet - I want the additional charge rate for when I'm using public points :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey @antnee and others

Just had my wall box fitted by BP Chargemaster today, and it says max 32A / 240 V. The guy said I'd get 7.4kwh from it, but from the 3 pin socket I was only getting 2.2kw maximum (which is expected).
Will update further after the first charge I do tonight using the wall box.

Do you have a wall box?
Hi. New to these forums :) So nice to join the community!! I've been digging around the internet in prep for my pending delivery of the a250e this Friday - first ever MB. Looking forward to it but been researching wall box's. I tested the 330e last year and the heat that came out of the domestic 3pin was scary enough not to make me even want to contemplate it!

Mercedes have put me in touch with BP and I've been trying to compare their product to the others before I commit. Can you confirm a few things for me?

• Does the CM require an earth rod?
  • Are they all smart variants now (specifically, can it do scheduling for overnight rates)?
  • If scheduling works does the smart aspect limit use through the day (like a lock, or at least trickle charge only)? On this point I'm not that bothered about chancers attempting to steal a quid of energy, better that than them attempting my shed or house etc. Just trying to understand the scheduling nature overall and specially work out if worth going octopus go etc. If it trickles too quick whilst waiting at 1kw (i saw something online) the overnight tarrif is a little more hassle as couldn't plug in until later on.
  • Now the nosy questions haha. Did you opt for tethered or untethered? Trying to decide myself.
  • And only if you don't mind what was the install cost
Thanks and nice to join the MB gang.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I am getting somewhere with the 3.7kw vs 7.4kw charge rates - it might be down to the cable supplied. I have done some electrical checks on my cable plus cross referenced part numbers at it appears to be a 16A (well technically 20A...) cable which is why I only see 3.7kw on a single phase charge point.

Images below are my cable; Mercedes part number A000 583 29 01. Ratings show 20A / 480V, then 3P+N+(earth symbol).

For anyone getting 7.4kw at home - can you check your lead and let me know what it says please?
@antnee well found, I've got a different cable to you! Mine is rated as 32A/ 480V. I can pull 7.4kw with it.

Part number I have is A000 583 20 98. The cable is still made by Mennekes, however I've got Blue/Black connectors with a straight yellow cable:

I guess you'll need a different cable 😮!

·
Registered
68 Posts
@antnee well found, I've got a different cable to you! Mine is rated as 32A/ 480V. I can pull 7.4kw with it.

Part number I have is A000 583 20 98. The cable is still made by Mennekes, however I've got Blue/Black connectors with a straight yellow cable:
View attachment 6925 View attachment 6924

I guess you'll need a different cable 😮!
( @antnee )
This is so interesting! Is this your type 2 to type 2 cable (and not your 3 pin one?)

Mine is black, and can still pull 7.4 from a wall box. I don't know though what it says on it, I'll need to have a look at the amps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi. New to these forums :) So nice to join the community!! I've been digging around the internet in prep for my pending delivery of the a250e this Friday - first ever MB. Looking forward to it but been researching wall box's. I tested the 330e last year and the heat that came out of the domestic 3pin was scary enough not to make me even want to contemplate it!

Mercedes have put me in touch with BP and I've been trying to compare their product to the others before I commit. Can you confirm a few things for me?

• Does the CM require an earth rod?
  • Are they all smart variants now (specifically, can it do scheduling for overnight rates)?
  • If scheduling works does the smart aspect limit use through the day (like a lock, or at least trickle charge only)? On this point I'm not that bothered about chancers attempting to steal a quid of energy, better that than them attempting my shed or house etc. Just trying to understand the scheduling nature overall and specially work out if worth going octopus go etc. If it trickles too quick whilst waiting at 1kw (i saw something online) the overnight tarrif is a little more hassle as couldn't plug in until later on.
  • Now the nosy questions haha. Did you opt for tethered or untethered? Trying to decide myself.
  • And only if you don't mind what was the install cost
Thanks and nice to join the MB gang.
Hi mate, welcome!

1. Yes you will need an earth rod. BP fitted it today, took them around 4 hours (it was chucking down with rain so maybe that's why it was longer) but the earth rod was fitted with no issue.
2 and 3. Scheduling does work, using the BP Chargemaster app. the app goes live 1 week after the wall box is fitted, but you can set it to charge between 12.30am and 4.30am for example, but keep the charger connected to your car before then. I am on Octopus Go so I look forward to that part.
4. Tethered! It's easier, wraps around the unit, looks funky in blue and I don't have to worry about taking the cable in and out all the time, just wall box to car. Plus, most car manufacturers are type 2 so you don't have to worry about it if you go for something other than a MB next time. I think Mitsubishi are the only ones not to use type 2? (Don't know what Tesla use)
5. It is free, any MB purchased until 31/12/20 comes with a free wall box. You need to get Mercedes to give you a portal number and then phone BP Chargemaster and they'll set an instal date with the portal number. Free wall box offer

The BP one does the job. Can't pull more than 7.4kw from the charger and into the car so no point getting a rapid charger. This does the job.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Charging my car for the first time using the 30A wall box - I am getting 6.8 kWh according to the Mercedes app, and around the same figure from my smart meter.

Estimated time for a 0-100% charge = 1 hour 40 minutes (11.3 kW used)
Cost on Octopus Go (peak time) = 14.19p per kWh - £1.60
Off peak = 5p per kWh - 56p

If my calculations are right...

·
Super Moderator
2,897 Posts
Earth Rods are required by BS7671, however, if your charge point box has other mitigating internal circuits to detect a broken PEN conductor, then an earth rod is not necessary. Eg Zappi & Anderson make chargers that don't require earth rods.

The BP CM does, as it doesn't have the required mitigating protection built in.

181 - 200 of 323 Posts