Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
561 - 580 of 672 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
90 Posts
Geez, a little patience please, first data next week, from the POSAIDON, real data a couple of months from now.
I never said I would have it much prior to Christmas.

Just getting the data logging gear together and especially the sensors, is not a five minute exercise in the current world climate,
I also need to then have a professional loom made so that I can easily take it in/out of the vehicle.
28 sensors in total, so its a reasonably significant loom job.

Without wanting to rub it in, at the moment I would appear to be the only one here who actually knows his personal vehicle's real life weight
Which is definitely the second most important piece of data you can know about your own car
Rectangle Font Screenshot Computer Parallel

Geez, we all know you're old, but didn't expect you to be THAT old. To get readings from just 28 sensors you have to custom make a loom for it?

I guess companies like VehiCAL would be out of business soon when they can let one have access to over 22000 channels from the CAN bus. I am also using this to get access to the channels inside the CPC as well.

Which sensor may I ask that you need to read from say one today would like to datalog from the CPC? Do you have to custom make a loom for it as well?

Still have to put everyone in the world down just to lift yourself up huh just because you have the weight of your car? :ROFLMAO:

This is getting old, besides the weight do you really have anything else significant to differentiate yourself from everyone else here?

·
Registered
152 Posts
View attachment 8735
Geez, we all know you're old, but didn't expect you to be THAT old. To get readings from just 28 sensors you have to custom make a loom for it?

I guess companies like VehiCAL would be out of business soon when they can let one have access to over 22000 channels from the CAN bus. I am also using this to get access to the channels inside the CPC as well.

Which sensor may I ask that you need to read from say one today would like to datalog from the CPC? Do you have to custom make a loom for it as well?

Still have to put everyone in the world down just to lift yourself up huh just because you have the weight of your car? :ROFLMAO:

This is getting old, besides the weight do you really have anything else significant to differentiate yourself from everyone else here?
At the risk of stating the obvious, for your approach to work, the sensors already need to be where I want them and what I want to see.
The majority of them are not and the couple that are, I want data seperate from the vehicle's existing systems.

Haven't gotten to the CPC yet, that is a completely additional story.

Your ageist comments are really becoming almost as old as I am!

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
90 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious, for your approach to work, the sensors already need to be where I want them and what I want to see.
The majority of them are not and the couple that are, I want data seperate from the vehicle's existing systems.

Haven't gotten to the CPC yet, that is a completely additional story.

Your ageist comments are really becoming almost as old as I am!
Or we could summarize it down to you're just too old school and and you're too old to admit it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Or we could summarize it down to you're just too old school and and you're too old to admit it.
Err no actually not, more than happy to admit that at 72, I am seriously "Old School" !
No problem admitting it and in fact proud of it.

However, that doesn't change the accuracy of my previous post.
For most of what I want, there ARE no sensors in the engine and fairly obviously, no sensors, no read out in your fancy modern software.

I'll just give you one example and no, at this stage I shall not discuss why I want this data.
Happy to post and discuss AFTER I actually have it, which is when I was going to first mention it.
1) Exhaust temperature and pressure at cylinder 3 and 4 exhaust ports.
2) Exhaust temperature and pressure at both turbine inlet ports of the turbocharger.

There are eight channels, just to start.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
90 Posts
Err no actually not, more than happy to admit that at 72, I am seriously "Old School" !
No problem admitting it and in fact proud of it.

However, that doesn't change the accuracy of my previous post.
For most of what I want, there ARE no sensors in the engine and fairly obviously, no sensors, no read out in your fancy modern software.

I'll just give you one example and no, at this stage I shall not discuss why I want this data.
Happy to post and discuss AFTER I actually have it, which is when I was going to first mention it.
1) Exhaust temperature and pressure at cylinder 3 and 4 exhaust ports.
2) Exhaust temperature and pressure at both turbine inlet ports of the turbocharger.

There are eight channels, just to start.
You're 72?

Oh my, that makes you the same age as my grandpa! That explains a lot then, well he's just as stubborn as you and extremely proud despite being called upon and proven wrong many times, and he loves putting everyone down just to uplift himself.

I really get it, I do. It isn't easy. He must have the last say every single time or else he just won't quit.

Well this is a free world and anyone can buy any car they want without being judged, though I'd be weird out if my grandpa decides to buy an A45S. Your money, your choice.

Yes, the fancy software doesn't have a readout for exhaust temperature and pressure specifically to cylinder 3 and 4. But it does have exhaust temperature and pressure readout for both turbine inlet and outlet as well.

I understand now, I really do. Please go ahead and continue with what you intend to do with the car and please do share it with us when you're done.

And I promise that I will let you have the last say regardless of what you respond next.

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
I appreciate it can be frustrating arguing points but can we please not personalise remarks around age in this case but also gender or race.

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
90 Posts
I appreciate it can be frustrating arguing points but can we please not personalise remarks around age in this case but also gender or race.
Oh certainly! One could only assume logically roughly the age when someone volunteers the information of himself of having over 50 years of experience!

I'm a firm believer of if you want to dish it, you should also be able to take it.

But since you wanted to bring up the topic about personalized remarks, may I also add in nationality as well? Not that I took offense to it at all when it was brought up first, especially the country flag is meant to appear right next to our profile which defeats the whole purpose of it just like how information was volunteered and not assumed out of thin air.

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
Oh certainly! One could only assume logically roughly the age when someone volunteers the information of himself of having over 50 years of experience!

I'm a firm believer of if you want to dish it, you should also be able to take it.

But since you wanted to bring up the topic about personalized remarks, may I also add in nationality as well? Not that I took offense to it at all when it was brought up first, especially the country flag is meant to appear right next to our profile which defeats the whole purpose of it just like how information was volunteered and not assumed out of thin air.
Quite honestly I thought I would be flagging @Turbo Ed with his "style". We just need to not get personal in a way which is derogatory.

As to flags we have no say in the platform design but by using vpn, as you are, we can suppress that. For me I'm holidaying in Spain so my flag has changed and I'm happy not to activate my vpn.

As mods we'll see how this and the other tuning thread go but if things heat up we may give some time out by locking them for a few days.

Reactions: changchewsoon

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
90 Posts
Quite honestly I thought I would be flagging @Turbo Ed with his "style". We just need to not get personal in a way which is derogatory.

As to flags we have no say in the platform design but by using vpn, as you are, we can suppress that. For me I'm holidaying in Spain so my flag has changed and I'm happy not to activate my vpn.

As mods we'll see how this and the other tuning thread go but if things heat up we may give some time out by locking them for a few days.
Oh in my personal opinion, you don't have to flag him. I took zero offense to it at all.

And from where I come from and the culture, we were brought up to respect the much elderly regardless of how it is and let them have their way if it makes them happy especially towards the end of the golden years.

After all, they've been around much longer than we were, hence they deserve that last bit piece of respect and be able to have their final say.

Hence, this is what I am doing at the exact moment it was made known that he is so many years more my senior.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just a final remark on age, arguing aside, I hope I have the same passion about cars and his level of clarity at 72, which is truly mind-blowing. That's not to say 72 is too old for that in our times, but it's not a given. Nothing in life is a given for that matter. So, yeah, props to you @Turbo Ed and thank you for being here with us sharing a small part of the knowledge you've acquired over a very long career.

Reactions: Matt Jackson

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts
I too look forward to making it to even getting an UK state pension currently at 66 let alone @Turbo Ed seniority.

@Theo and others please do keep posting but without targeting remarks in a derogatory way.

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow, DTUK 470 PS, Akrapovic Evolution in Ti
167 Posts
Well, it seems like MSL can tune the 2021 car and with very impressive results, quote:

Azure Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

Mercedes A45s 2021
Stage 2 - 470BHP
100 to 200 km/h
Stock turbo
Decat down Pipe
OPF Off
V Power
CPC
Eventuri Intake
Making progress slowly still lots of more Development going on...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow, just catching up on this thread, seems like people are getting a little sand stuck in their vaginas. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
152 Posts
I too look forward to making it to even getting an UK state pension currently at 66 let alone @Turbo Ed seniority.

@Theo and others please do keep posting but without targeting remarks in a derogatory way.
Guys, I am just surprised that any of you were surprised , even mildly, at my age.
I never claimed to be a child protégée !! :)
Like most young Engineers, I graduated from my initial tertiary education at 22.
+50
= 72
I really couldn't have been any younger now !!

As to how I ended up in a current A45S, as my daily?
From 1996 to 2012, I drove a succession of WRX / STI's, none with less than 400 HP at the tires (DD DYNO) and the last a twisted mount 550HP (again, at the tires)
So, that is from when I was 47 to 63

Then MERC brought our the W176 A45
As I told Forrester I believe, some posts back,. 80K KM's on an initial release model, 40K KMs on a FL and so now I am on my third A45.
Really does not seem so strange to me.
For my dailies, I enjoy small AWD performance hatches.

I absolutely hate to think what you would all say if I told you what I build as my "toys" !! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,711 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,244 Posts
and I guess I better acquire one of those Dragy things.
If you want the benchmark, then it is vbox motorsport's pbox (but expensive):

Dragy and Racebox.Pro are good and less pricey, but there is a variance of around say 0.2s compared with the benchmark or drag strip timing. It all depends what tolerance of accuracy you want.

Dragy:

Racebox.Pro

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you want the benchmark, then it is vbox motorsport's pbox:

Dragy and Racebox.Pro are good, but there is a variance of around say 0.2s compared with the benchmark or drag strip timing. It all depends what tolerance of accuracy you want.

OK guys, so what do I get that you will all accept as comparable to what you are doing yourselves?

Makes little or no difference to me, just want to be able to provide uncontested data,

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dragy :)

Edit: what do you build as your toys?
Thanks for the data logging advice.
I Think I shall wait for a cross section of responses :)

Re my Toys? No way!!
If I can get into so much **** for being a 72 year old A45S owner, talking about my toys would just bring me a world of pain!! :)

561 - 580 of 672 Posts