Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
521 - 540 of 960 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow, DTUK 470 PS, Akrapovic Evolution in Ti
185 Posts
It all feels like b****hit to me especially as the instructions clearly say that all 3 maps develop the same power and that it's just delivered differently which is at odds with their response above.

Next steps have to be some Dragy times for each Map and speaking to Germany directly given that the UK people are just sales and marketing.

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
Yes you know where not to go again. But it would be interesting to see what the times look like in Map 1.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes you know where not to go again. But it would be interesting to see what the times look like in Map 1.
I've only just got round to connecting the app so I can change modes without fiddling around under the bonnet. But having run a few errands in Map 3 today, the bum dyno says its definitely quicker on the road than stock, I wouldn't contemplate taking it off unless I had something better to replace it. Really need a Map 1 drive tomorrow to see if it improves some more.

P.S. No proper remap is available for us April 2021 car dudes...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tidied up as requested.

It's actually very easy to multi-quote - just highlight what you want to quote, and click on the "Quote" balloon that appears. You can do this multiple times, then at the very bottom of the reply box, click on "Insert Quotes"
Thanks very much for your assistance and advice to an inexperienced on Forums :"old codger"!! )

·
Registered
233 Posts
You'll be lucky to leave lockdown by then. And who know's if the UK won't be joining you, unless we get our boosters rolling quickly.

Just moved by Australia flights in to UK summer next year as there seems little prospect of my road trip in 2021.

Also talking about your drive to see your sister I note you have a "border" between states which seem to be around 100 miles wide at the moment for continuous covid checks. Which will be a real pain.
You know, I thought we were all trying to be positive on this Forum!! :)
Of course you are correct; however I did not mean specifically THIS Christmas!! :)
I should have said, "any Christmas" , as usually it is simply a normal drive each year. (Which is how I put 80K KM's on my original A45 and 40K KM's on my FL)
Which is precisely why 98 RON is such a big deal to me.
I also try to do the Targa route each year, after it has been run.
Basically, my vehicle spends more time out of the city, then in it.
Particularly as the 1/2 mile and 1000M events are held on country town airfields.
Which makes operation on 98 RON in 45C ambient, probably the single most important street car operating parameter, for me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Unfortunately, Litchfield won't allow customers inside the dyno cell when its in use so couldn't see any of the action. There is a small viewing window which looks through an intermediate workshop so doesn't allow seeing the detail you refer to.

I did have a look at the screens once the runs had finished but everything was unhooked by then. The correction factor did seem large to me too.
Thanks for clarifying and unfortunately not surprised. So many tuning shops all over the world are precious in this regard.

I would have the same problem here, were it not for the fact that dyno operator I am going to use for data acquisition used to work for me and his current boss, the business's owner and I have had a commercial relationship going back decodes.
The problem I am going to have though is when it comes to Tuning.
Any of the guys in Australia with the knowledge and equipment to work on our cars are going to be the same as Lichfield, I suspect.
I am still looking though, as i REALLY want to be in the passenger's seat while they are doing that work!! :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've only just got round to connecting the app so I can change modes without fiddling around under the bonnet. But having run a few errands in Map 3 today, the bum dyno says its definitely quicker on the road than stock, I wouldn't contemplate taking it off unless I had something better to replace it. Really need a Map 1 drive tomorrow to see if it improves some more.

P.S. No proper remap is available for us April 2021 car dudes...
I can see why you want to talk to DTE and sounds like an excellent idea to me.
For the couple of year's that I dealt with them, I found them VERY professional.
They do indeed have exactly the same model Dyno as Litchfield.
It is inside their own faculty and I have seen it personally.
So, no German marketing waffle there.

However, I have been trying to understand DTUK response to you.
Are they saying that MAP 1 should give you the highest peak HP?

·
Registered
233 Posts
It all feels like b****hit to me especially as the instructions clearly say that all 3 maps develop the same power and that it's just delivered differently which is at odds with their response above.

Next steps have to be some Dragy times for each Map and speaking to Germany directly given that the UK people are just sales and marketing.
Did you end up obtaining repeatable runs on the standard car with which you were happy?

·
Registered
185 Posts
However, I have been trying to understand DTUK response to you.
Are they saying that MAP 1 should give you the highest peak HP?
That's my interpretation of it and having driven it today (too busy for timings) Map 1 feels the best and strong.

Did you end up obtaining repeatable runs on the standard car with which you were happy?
I have some repeatable 60-130 timings for the stock car which I'm happy with. They're nothing special versus a proper supercar but I'm happy with them as a baseline for tuned comparisons.

I prefer the 60-130 measure as it's less impacted by launch variables like slope, AWD, PSM settings and road/tyre temps and is a great leveller for all performance cars. Some guys are traffic light warriors, but this is the best measure of how strong your car really is rather than how trick your launch software is. All IMHO.

And it doesn't need repeated LC starts that will undoubtedly inflict premature wear on the trans.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's my interpretation of it and having driven it today (too busy for timings) Map 1 feels the best and strong.

I have some repeatable 60-130 timings for the stock car which I'm happy with. They're nothing special versus a proper supercar but I'm happy with them as a baseline for tuned comparisons.

I prefer the 60-130 measure as it's less impacted by launch variables like slope, AWD, PSM settings and road/tyre temps and is a great leveller for all performance cars. Some guys are traffic light warriors, but this is the best measure of how strong your car really is rather than how trick your launch software is. All IMHO.

And it doesn't need repeated LC starts that will undoubtedly inflict premature wear on the trans.
I am absolutely 100% in agreement and look forward to your 60 -130 KPH results with great interest, as I am sure many other here do as well.
Such a shame you were not aware that Map 1 was what you should have been using on the Dyno rather than 3.
Please confirm that my understanding is correct and that you did indeed only Dyno with Map 3?
Thanks again for all your trouble and expense.

I am currently talking to a number of German Tuners whom I have known for some years and hope within the next few days to be able to provide some Engineering background as to why your box may be providing the results you are seeing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Such a shame you were not aware that Map 1 was what you should have been using on the Dyno rather than 3.
Please confirm that my understanding is correct and that you did indeed only Dyno with Map 3?
I've tuned plenty of cars but always through proper remapping. I've never had a tuning box before and took their blurb at face value - that all the maps made the same peak BHP but just delivered it differently. They haven't been able to reconcile their assertion that the maps are quite different with the paperwork that came with the box. So I didn't request a specific map...

I've worked with Litchfield before, they built me a 1,000 BHP GT-R last year and they've fitted a lot of tuning boxes to the GR Yaris so I let them get on with it. In their wisdom, they only measured Map 3 +3.

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
I've tuned plenty of cars but always through proper remapping. I've never had a tuning box before and took their blurb at face value - that all the maps made the same peak BHP but just delivered it differently. They haven't been able to reconcile their assertion that the maps are quite different with the paperwork that came with the box. So I didn't request a specific map...

I've worked with Litchfield before, they built me a 1,000 BHP GT-R last year and they've fitted a lot of tuning boxes to the GR Yaris so I let them get on with it. In their wisdom, they only measured Map 3 +3.
@Turbo Ed is working on his encyclopedia after speaking to the German tuners to reply back to you 😁

Reactions: nn7man

·
Super Moderator
4,343 Posts
took their blurb at face value - that all the maps made the same peak BHP but just delivered it differently.
That's usually the case with the cooking variants of a car, but for a specific high output car like the A45s - it's always useful to have a detuned map you can call upon for troubleshooting purposes.

Also why there'a +1 +2 +3 as well as -1 -2 -3 because different cars respond differently so it really is time consuming process trying to find the optimum map and +-x with a Dragy box.

·
Registered
403 Posts
@Turbo Ed Earlier when you were describing our engine's cooling system, you said that thanks to the two separate radiators (one for the cylinder head alone and another for the block) we can run the cylinder head much cooler than the block and that there are all sorts of engineering implications resulting from this. Could you please explain the benefit, maybe give me the reader's digest version if that's even possible, just break it down for me; assume you're talking with someone with decent, but limited knowledge. Google didn't help.

And thanks for all the knowledge you've shared. I'm still boggled by that 10% of headroom and I'm not the only one, but I can't argue about things of which I have zero knowledge. And I guess time will tell whether all these cars running 470+ hp tunes (which is the majority) will remain reliable in the long term. I believe they will be. But if you're saying the compressor map ends at 465, then that's it, I'm taking you know what you're talking about.

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
I've not heard that the Brabus box allows any adjustments yet works consistently, as far as we know, with all vehicles within its vin catchment.

Reactions: nn7man

·
Registered
63 Posts

Hi any times on the map1 yet, or with the slower map 3 against stock times?
Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi any times on the map1 yet, or with the slower map 3 against stock times?
Thanks
Been busy this weekend so no chance for timings so far just regular driving. Might manage some tomorrow if it's dry. Which metrics would you like to see?

I've been driving it in Map 1 and its definitely quicker, gives some torque steer which wasn't present much in stock.

I'm having a chat with Andrew at DTUK about the performance of the box and its maps sometime next week.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Been busy this weekend so no chance for timings so far just regular driving. Might manage some tomorrow if it's dry. Which metrics would you like to see?

I've been driving it in Map 1 and its definitely quicker, gives some torque steer which wasn't present much in stock.

I'm having a chat with Andrew at DTUK about the performance of the box and its maps sometime next week.
Given you have previously said that you are most happy with your 60 to 130 (Please just confirm whether you are talking KPH or MPH), shouldn't that be your first comparison metric?

·
Registered
233 Posts
@Turbo Ed is working on his encyclopaedia after speaking to the German tuners to reply back to you 😁
LOL!!
Smart one liners are always faster than genuine Engineering analysis!!

Still waiting on a couple of critical pieces of data from our Teutonic friends before posting the encyclopaedia !!

I'll just leave with a one liner to ponder.

The length of time, at any one time, that an ICE spends at WOT, Full Load, is one of the most critical design parameters of any vehicle Powertrain.

521 - 540 of 960 Posts