Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
541 - 560 of 960 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow, DTUK 470 PS, Akrapovic Evolution in Ti
185 Posts
Given you have previously said that you are most happy with your 60 to 130 (Please just confirm whether you are talking KPH or MPH), shouldn't that be your first comparison metric?
MPH

Just needs a different and easier venue versus lesser metrics :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
A tuned supercar that I own for comparison. OK, It was down a bit of a slope but proper hang on quick :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
@Turbo Ed Earlier when you were describing our engine's cooling system, you said that thanks to the two separate radiators (one for the cylinder head alone and another for the block) we can run the cylinder head much cooler than the block and that there are all sorts of engineering implications resulting from this. Could you please explain the benefit, maybe give me the reader's digest version if that's even possible, just break it down for me; assume you're talking with someone with decent, but limited knowledge. Google didn't help.

And thanks for all the knowledge you've shared. I'm still boggled by that 10% of headroom and I'm not the only one, but I can't argue about things of which I have zero knowledge. And I guess time will tell whether all these cars running 470+ hp tunes (which is the majority) will remain reliable in the long term. I believe they will be. But if you're saying the compressor map ends at 465, then that's it, I'm taking you know what you're talking about.
Theo,

My headroom comments need to be taken with some tolerance applied, as is already starting to play out on the other thread.
nn7man's vehicle, standard, If Litchfield's Maha is to be believed (and I think it probably is. I had an interesting talk with Maha Australia the other day) started almost 15 HP OVER the factory rating.
I suspect anywhere between 465 and 500 HP is POSSIBLE; however that does not make it either safe or correct.
I shall be addressing this subject in further Posts, hopefully later this week, probably on the other thread as this seems to be where most people are discussing it.

With respect to the split cooling system, which to my knowledge, certainly in mass production vehicles, is unique.
Incidentally, I have yet to find an accurate description of this configuration On Line from ANY journalist, anywhere in the world, at least in the English language.
However they were briefed by MB's PR Dept. it obviously completely confused them.
I obtained the info from a combination of a workshop advisory in German, (which I read) and partial disassembly of my own vehicle.

The first thing you need to keep in mind is the apparent contradiction between designing a Euro 6 compliant engine and 211 HP/Litre, at the same time.

For Emissions, you want to keep the block as warm as possible within a VERY small operating temperature range, (and get it there in a very short period of time from cold start) in order to be able run the tightest possible piston to bore clearances and ring end gaps.
For Performance, amongst other parameters, you want to run the coldest possible cylinder head for maximum volumetric efficiency and maximum ignition advance possible .
(Historically, you also needed to run hot cylinder heads/ combustion chambers for Emissions; however fortunately for us performance nuts, direct injection put an end to that)

The idea of separating the cooling system into two parts to achieve the above two apparently contradictory results, is obviously far too expensive for general use.
However, I am surprised that other High Performance car companies have not taken this approach.

Forrester is already going to accuse me of writing an encyclopaedia here, so I shall stop for the moment and wait for your further questions !! :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
LOL!!
No S**t Sherlock!!
I believe you!!! :)

I am presuming the first data sheet was from your stock A45S baseline?

Looking forward to your Map 1 60 -130 MPH times as soon as you have moment,

Thanks
Apologies!!
Just saw the small heading above your stock A45S baseline.

I have to ask, if it is not too intrusive, WHAT does 6's for the 60/130 MPH run?

·
Super Moderator
4,343 Posts
I shall be addressing this subject in further Posts, hopefully later this week, probably on the other thread as this seems to be where most people are discussing it.
If it’s more technical (and it will be) please keep it in the technical thread.

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
Yes I too would be interested to know what the tuned super car is.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its a Porsche 991.2 turbo S making 720 PS and 930 Nm

·
Super Moderator
4,832 Posts
It’s certainly a big complement to the A45s that you have chosen that as well.

Reactions: nn7man

·
Registered
63 Posts
Been busy this weekend so no chance for timings so far just regular driving. Might manage some tomorrow if it's dry. Which metrics would you like to see?

I've been driving it in Map 1 and its definitely quicker, gives some torque steer which wasn't present much in stock.

I'm having a chat with Andrew at DTUK about the performance of the box and its maps sometime next week.

Hi just the difference in stock 100kph to 200kph to map 3 and map 1.. please

·
Registered
185 Posts
Only managed one run today in Map 1. Need to compare with stock and Map 3 but it seems the box is delivering after all...

541 - 560 of 960 Posts