Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
661 - 680 of 960 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,830 Posts
Oh certainly! One could only assume logically roughly the age when someone volunteers the information of himself of having over 50 years of experience!

I'm a firm believer of if you want to dish it, you should also be able to take it.

But since you wanted to bring up the topic about personalized remarks, may I also add in nationality as well? Not that I took offense to it at all when it was brought up first, especially the country flag is meant to appear right next to our profile which defeats the whole purpose of it just like how information was volunteered and not assumed out of thin air.
Quite honestly I thought I would be flagging @Turbo Ed with his "style". We just need to not get personal in a way which is derogatory.

As to flags we have no say in the platform design but by using vpn, as you are, we can suppress that. For me I'm holidaying in Spain so my flag has changed and I'm happy not to activate my vpn.

As mods we'll see how this and the other tuning thread go but if things heat up we may give some time out by locking them for a few days.

Reactions: changchewsoon

·
Registered
2021 AMG CLA45 S
108 Posts
Quite honestly I thought I would be flagging @Turbo Ed with his "style". We just need to not get personal in a way which is derogatory.

As to flags we have no say in the platform design but by using vpn, as you are, we can suppress that. For me I'm holidaying in Spain so my flag has changed and I'm happy not to activate my vpn.

As mods we'll see how this and the other tuning thread go but if things heat up we may give some time out by locking them for a few days.
Oh in my personal opinion, you don't have to flag him. I took zero offense to it at all.

And from where I come from and the culture, we were brought up to respect the much elderly regardless of how it is and let them have their way if it makes them happy especially towards the end of the golden years.

After all, they've been around much longer than we were, hence they deserve that last bit piece of respect and be able to have their final say.

Hence, this is what I am doing at the exact moment it was made known that he is so many years more my senior.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just a final remark on age, arguing aside, I hope I have the same passion about cars and his level of clarity at 72, which is truly mind-blowing. That's not to say 72 is too old for that in our times, but it's not a given. Nothing in life is a given for that matter. So, yeah, props to you @Turbo Ed and thank you for being here with us sharing a small part of the knowledge you've acquired over a very long career.

Reactions: Matt Jackson

·
Registered
403 Posts
You're getting into all that trouble, not to mention expense, just for research, that's hot d4mn impressive and shows your kind of passion I was talking about in the other thread. In contrast, I would tune my car to 600hp for no reason other than haul ass. Boy do I seem primitive? It's like someone bought us a ball, you tear yours to pieces to see what it's made of, publish your findings and with the money that earns you, you buy another thing to broaden your knowledge. In contrast, I kick mine as hard as I can to see how far I can kick it, and eventually lose it.

Anyways, no I'm afraid I don't. I'm new to MB this is my first MB car, but I'm happy to say I've already acquired decent knowledge in nearly two years that I've been here. Boy was I like a fish out of water when I first got here, haha.

·
Super Moderator
4,830 Posts
I too look forward to making it to even getting an UK state pension currently at 66 let alone @Turbo Ed seniority.

@Theo and others please do keep posting but without targeting remarks in a derogatory way.

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow, DTUK 470 PS, Akrapovic Evolution in Ti
185 Posts
Well, it seems like MSL can tune the 2021 car and with very impressive results, quote:

Azure Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

Mercedes A45s 2021
Stage 2 - 470BHP
100 to 200 km/h
Stock turbo
Decat down Pipe
OPF Off
V Power
CPC
Eventuri Intake
Making progress slowly still lots of more Development going on...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow, just catching up on this thread, seems like people are getting a little sand stuck in their vaginas. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
233 Posts
You're getting into all that trouble, not to mention expense, just for research, that's hot d4mn impressive and shows your kind of passion I was talking about in the other thread. In contrast, I would tune my car to 600hp for no reason other than haul ass. Boy do I seem primitive? It's like someone bought us a ball, you tear yours to pieces to see what it's made of, publish your findings and with the money that earns you, you buy another thing to broaden your knowledge. In contrast, I kick mine as hard as I can to see how far I can kick it, and eventually lose it.

Anyways, no I'm afraid I don't. I'm new to MB this is my first MB car, but I'm happy to say I've already acquired decent knowledge in nearly two years that I've been here. Boy was I like a fish out of water when I first got here, haha.
Time for some technical / commercial honesty.

if you want a 600 to 700 HP Uber Hatch, trade your A45S on even a current RS3, let alone the 2022.
****, they are making 1350 HP out of these on E85, so what's 650 on on 98 RON?
So long as your use reputable suppliers like TTE, APR, or Dodson's on the Trans, it is doing it by the numbers.
So many have done it before you, all around the world, that absolutely no investigation or R&D is required.
It has all been done for you.

So, why don't I just do that?
Have you heard the expression, "it is not about the destination, its all about the journey"?
OK, that's me.
The question you need to ask yourself is, "who are you"?

The reason being, I can tell you that any of us attempting 650 HP on 98 RON from the M139 are in for a **** of a journey!! :)

So, why would I even bother embarking on this journey, given the trouble and expense almost certainly involved?
Those Mega HP RS3's are now what the Americans call " cookie cutters". ( IE just churn out duplicates)
In Australia we call them "Belly Button" cars.

Why, because everyone HAS one!! :)

I am prepared to pay to learn to be different.
No, I shall never make any money out of it.
Fortunately for me, I no longer need to!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I too look forward to making it to even getting an UK state pension currently at 66 let alone @Turbo Ed seniority.

@Theo and others please do keep posting but without targeting remarks in a derogatory way.
Guys, I am just surprised that any of you were surprised , even mildly, at my age.
I never claimed to be a child protégée !! :)
Like most young Engineers, I graduated from my initial tertiary education at 22.
+50
= 72
I really couldn't have been any younger now !!

As to how I ended up in a current A45S, as my daily?
From 1996 to 2012, I drove a succession of WRX / STI's, none with less than 400 HP at the tires (DD DYNO) and the last a twisted mount 550HP (again, at the tires)
So, that is from when I was 47 to 63

Then MERC brought our the W176 A45
As I told Forrester I believe, some posts back,. 80K KM's on an initial release model, 40K KMs on a FL and so now I am on my third A45.
Really does not seem so strange to me.
For my dailies, I enjoy small AWD performance hatches.

I absolutely hate to think what you would all say if I told you what I build as my "toys" !! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, the new RS3 yes, the old one - no way, purely because it handles/drives so badly.
If when I was buying, the new RS3 was available I would have probably jumped on it, the 5 cylinder is a brilliant platform. You can still do new things with it, just much easier.

The A45s Iam enjoying for what it is - a complete package. I have other 10second cars, still have my old xr6t which is surprisingly going up in value. Now that is a platform to modify! The A45s for me is more a daily runabout.

The A45s leaves my previous Focus RS for dead in a straight line. However, the RS was more fun to drive and handled a lot better. I want to see if we can mod the driveline of the A45s more than power hikes. Transform the A45s to 70% RWD and it will be awesome to fang about. Thats where a lot of the RS modders figured out, you could reprogram the RDU - ended up being the best mod and was free!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah, the new RS3 yes, the old one - no way, purely because it handles/drives so badly.
If when I was buying, the new RS3 was available I would have probably jumped on it, the 5 cylinder is a brilliant platform. You can still do new things with it, just much easier.

The A45s Iam enjoying for what it is - a complete package. I have other 10second cars, still have my old xr6t which is surprisingly going up in value. Now that is a platform to modify! The A45s for me is more a daily runabout.

The A45s leaves my previous Focus RS for dead in a straight line. However, the RS was more fun to drive and handled a lot better. I want to see if we can mod the driveline of the A45s more than power hikes. Transform the A45s to 70% RWD and it will be awesome to fang about. Thats where a lot of the RS modders figured out, you could reprogram the RDU - ended up being the best mod and was free!
Understand your comments about the current RS3 and I am certainly NOT going to defend its handling!!
However, a lot of the guys here seem to be into straight line performance and my point was just that the cheapest and simplest way to build a 650 HP on 98 RON hot hatch, was start from a RS3, even the current, ("unfortunate") handling model.

Had a number of Barra's personally, the last with just over 1000 HP on 98 RON at the tires. (DD Dyno).
Nothing now, I know; however a fairly big deal coming up to 10 years ago.
I normally never mention Barras though on international forums, as they are such an Aussie thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,830 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,343 Posts
and I guess I better acquire one of those Dragy things.
If you want the benchmark, then it is vbox motorsport's pbox (but expensive):

Dragy and Racebox.Pro are good and less pricey, but there is a variance of around say 0.2s compared with the benchmark or drag strip timing. It all depends what tolerance of accuracy you want.

Dragy:

Racebox.Pro

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you want the benchmark, then it is vbox motorsport's pbox:

Dragy and Racebox.Pro are good, but there is a variance of around say 0.2s compared with the benchmark or drag strip timing. It all depends what tolerance of accuracy you want.

OK guys, so what do I get that you will all accept as comparable to what you are doing yourselves?

Makes little or no difference to me, just want to be able to provide uncontested data,

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dragy :)

Edit: what do you build as your toys?
Thanks for the data logging advice.
I Think I shall wait for a cross section of responses :)

Re my Toys? No way!!
If I can get into so much **** for being a 72 year old A45S owner, talking about my toys would just bring me a world of pain!! :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dragy for me too, preferably 100-200 kmh
Copy that, thanks for the advice.
The Dragy certainly appears to be a fraction the price of the Race Logic product.
Given they are both UK products, what do you locals think of their relative value?

With respect to the Dragy product, are there any model variations and is one superior in performance to another?

·
Super Moderator
4,343 Posts
The race logic product was first in market many years ago, and had steadily been updated throughout the years to its current iteration. It is the closest in accuracy, but expensive.

Dragy and Racebox are very much newer entrants to the market, but they all use the same GPS Doppler frequency shift technology, it all comes down to the individual calibration/configuration of the units themselves, but even with Dragy or Racebox, you're never going to be further than 0.2s adrift from absolute values, and even then, only in certain measurements.

Value for money wise, it's very difficult to justify an additional £300 for that last 0.2s, especially as there are so many other factors that will give you a larger variance than that ;)

With all these systems, the more satellites you let it acquire, the higher the accuracy and resolution.

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
I have Dragy too. If used with phone camera the times are shown on top of video 👍

661 - 680 of 960 Posts