Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
901 - 920 of 960 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts
Due to my gearbox issues and the fact that Australian businesses, (e.g. mechanical workshops) closes for Summer Holidays from around Friday the 17th December to Monday 17th January, (sort of like France or Italy in August), I am having to revise my data acquisition schedule.
I believe my state, Victoria, should have the curfew lifted around the same time I get my vehicle back, or perhaps slightly earlier. IE around the end of October.

Which is great; however I want to put at least a few thousand KM's on the new box, which probably means the 2,000 KM each way drive to and from my Sister's property at Christmas..

Does NOT mean I am stopping anything, just changing the sequence in which I am doing things, that's all.
Good news about your gearbox anyway. Just in time for Halloween 👻

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh man, I would not want to drive my A45s on a long Aus road trip...
Surely you have more comfortable cars. Now Iam the old man lol
LOL!!
This is my third A45!!
If you think our current W177 A45S is bad over Australian (NSW, she cattle farms in the NW of the state ) country roads, you definitely couldn't have handled my first gen W176 A45 with the fixed Euro Spec suspension.
I put 80K KM on that vehicle in four years, including four trips to my Sister's.
When i bought the FL W176 with the variable suspension, it was like heaven by comparison!! :)

To answer your question, not only is my current W177 A45 my daily, it is the softest of my personal vehicles!! :)

OLD???? A state of mind!!! :)

·
Registered
2021 AMG A45 S Plus, Sun Yellow, DTUK 470 PS, Akrapovic Evolution in Ti
185 Posts
Just taking stock of my 2021 car, performance mods so far are:

DTE tuning box, 470 PS
Akra Evo Ti back box and link pipes (OEM downpipe with GPF)

100km/h-200km/h timings:

Stock 10.57s
Modded 9.45s (before the Akra)

Next up DTE TCU tune and Eventuri intake

·
Registered
233 Posts
What else is in your garage @Turbo Ed ? I'm interested to know what else gets over your engineering bar?
@nn7man, as you may have already worked out, I don't purchase vehicles to leave them standard.!! :)
In other words, I could not bring myself to purchase an E63S and then leave it alone!! :)
Just me, as I know plenty of people do.
So, I tend to purchase relatively inexpensive vehicles and then make them into what I want.
I doubt my colonial "toys" would be of any interest to an obviously sophisticated Englishman!! :)
EG a 1500 WHP twin turbo 6.0L V8 Holden Ute??

·
Registered
2021 A45s in mountain grey.
101 Posts
@nn7man, as you may have already worked out, I don't purchase vehicles to leave them standard.!! :)
In other words, I could not bring myself to purchase an E63S and then leave it alone!! :)
So, I tend to purchase relatively inexpensive vehicles and then make them into what I want.
I doubt my colonial "toys" would be of any interest to an obviously sophisticated Englishman!! :)
Bet that had great traction on pull away 😀😀 last of the V8’s, nitro !!

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,826 Posts
Exactly what I thought before I saw your post.

It's needs a dry place like Australia to live with a car like that in the first place let alone one that's tuned. I'm sure @veeeight dad either just drove sideways or really slowly in the UK.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow, 1,500 WHP in a Ute :) How long do your tyres last :) ?

Most of my cars are modified too, mostly with exhaust but some with more serious mods. My E63 S and G63 both have Brabus 800 PS/1,000 NM power kits with exhaust, wheels and cosmetic stuff.

I have a 991.2 Carrera T running 620PS (stock 370PS) which has a 9e tune, GTS turbos, full Kline exhaust in Inconel, TialSport 3D printed larger intercoolers and intake pipes, KW suspension, springs, spacer, DSC controller and all the exterior plastic replaced with carbon. It's a manual so had to stop where I am as there isn't an aftermarket clutch available yet!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Next up DTE TCU tune and Eventuri intake
Planning to flash the TCU tomorrow, weather permitting. It needs a decent drive straight afterwards to learn again, up to 100 miles according to DTE. Hopefully a big improvement as the last learning will have been whilst running in

·
Registered
233 Posts
The is quite theoretical in the constant lockdowns of your part of Australia.
I'd love to laugh; however you are 100% correct!!
Even after we hit 80% fully vax'd in a few weeks, (and probably 90% by early December), our state government has offered no assurances that we shall not go back into some sort of lockdown again next year. purely dependant upon ICU patient loads.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Absolutely NO Traction on take off!! :)

When I built the car a few years ago, that was one of its main attractions, although i musta admit, I rarely take it out these days, even before the pandemic.
I should sell it and probably will after I complete my current, more extreme "Toy",

·
Registered
233 Posts
Exactly what I thought before I saw your post.

It's needs a dry place like Australia to live with a car like that in the first place let alone one that's tuned. I'm sure @veeeight dad either just drove sideways or really slowly in the UK.
Although no where near UK wet, Melbourne gets plenty of rain, hence my love of STI's and then A45's on Conti 6's as dailies.

High powered rear wheel drives are an acquired taste, (just ask modified C63S owners!!) and the toy which I am currently building to eventually replace the Ute, takes that to a whole different level.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My dad had a 1965 Holden EH Premier Sedan!
3 sp Hydramatic column shift.
Not tuned :)
LOL!!
The model on which I learnt to drive, although as manual !! :)

Trust me, in their day PLENTY of tuned EH's running around!!
Triple Weber's were the go!! :)
Even today as they are considered a classic.
The custom shop which is doing the chassis and bodywork for my current extreme toy build, completed an EH which won its class at Summer Nats either 2018 or 19, with a normally aspirated , 550 HP 6.0L V8.!!
This has become quite a common conversion in recent years, although the EH donor cars are becoming almost too expensive to cut up!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow, 1,500 WHP in a Ute :) How long do your tyres last :) ?

Most of my cars are modified too, mostly with exhaust but some with more serious mods. My E63 S and G63 both have Brabus 800 PS/1,000 NM power kits with exhaust, wheels and cosmetic stuff.

I have a 991.2 Carrera T running 620PS (stock 370PS) which has a 9e tune, GTS turbos, full Kline exhaust in Inconel, TialSport 3D printed larger intercoolers and intake pipes, KW suspension, springs, spacer, DSC controller and all the exterior plastic replaced with carbon. It's a manual so had to stop where I am as there isn't an aftermarket clutch available yet!
LOL!! :)
As I expected, your garage has substantially more class than mine!!

The answer to your tire life question on the Ute is, NOT LONG, although obviously massively driving style influenced !! :)
Also haven't driven it all that much lately, even before the pandemic lock downs.

What is your G63 like to drive with 1,000 NM?

There ARE solutions, (albeit expensive) to your 991.2 clutch issue.
However, let's say you get a nice, drivable clutch into it which does not slip; what is the practical torque limit of the gearbox, which is then going to have to "shoulder the load" so to speak?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think you are correct about " AMG's overprotectiveness" :)
It would be consistent with their long standing attitude's to things like this.

However, please don't assume they are wrong.
They undoubtedly know A LOT more about their 210 HP/Litre production engine than any aftermarket Tuner.

The answer to the three questions in your post are:-
1) It happens sooner
2) Yes
3) No way of knowing until I complete my investigations, which having lost over a month, will now be well into the New Year.

Don't forget you are on an English speaking Board with the majority of members in the UK.
I don't know if you read / speak any German; however if you do, go onto a couple of their boards.
This last German summer a significant number of "tuned" M139's went "pop" on the Autobahn.

In the UK, I doubt you would see any issues, only holding WOT for 12 secs or less at any one time and either intentionally or unintentionally allowing a couple of minutes at speed under light load, e.g. 80 mph cruise condition, between full power runs.(Perfect for intercooler fluid heat dissipation).

Don't also forget the relatively small number of our cars actually delivered.
There are less than 100 in Australia and just like mine, most will have done no real work at all, for the obvious reason. I have done a quarter of my typical mileage and none of it in the way you use your vehicle. ( yet :))
I have no idea how many have been delivered in the UK.
Perhaps someone here can say.
How many do you think there are in Greece?

Small numbers delivered means even smaller numbers modified, so a very small data base.
I am sure there are more tuned M139's in Germany than anywhere else and as I said, they have definitely had issues this last Summer.
Your right about the number of M139's. I have seen a couple of A's and CLA's in my area, all in matte grey like mine, but not until a few months after I got it and btw I was told it was the first in the country and sat at customs longer as there was no A45s entry so a new one had to be created from scratch, including everything printed on my registration and then they supposedly use that as a baseline for next imports.

I'm only considering Brabus for now, but I hope there is some kind of feedback by the time I get it. I have no doubt it will work perfectly well, I trust Brabus, but I need to know exactly what kind of gains to expect. Up until recently I was under the impression our cars made no more than advertised. So Brabus would make +29 ps, or more. Now, not that +29 ps is anything to brag about, but if my car makes 435 ps stock on 99+ RON, which as it turns out is quite common lately, then we'll be talking about +15 ps. Wouldn't that be ridiculous. So is it possible than Brabus makes 460 - 465 even if they claim 450? That's what I need to know and then I need to dyno my car stock. That said, there is a good chance I won't be getting anything anytime soon.

Reactions: Forrester

·
Registered
185 Posts
I need to know exactly what kind of gains to expect.
The tuning box route should add the advertised gain to whatever your stock power is as per Herr Hummes at Posaidon. However, I think the Brabus kit is a tune plus new CPC so it will be 450

·
Registered
403 Posts
Right I understand Brabus is a remap too and the kit comes together with a new CPC.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The irony is that I used to laugh at the +29 figure calling it ridiculous. But after giving it some more thought I decided to accept the fact that I wouldn't have the fastest A45s on the planet but I would have one **** of a warranty in my glovebox. But +15 ps... come on 😂

901 - 920 of 960 Posts